Desslok

The Spoilerrific Super Duper Rogue One Megathread!

Clip looked pretty cool to me.  

Gotta love the crazy alien door gunner.

iDh4KWG.jpg

I'm especially fond of the fact that they based the blaster on an M60. 

"Get some! Anyone who runs is an Imperial Stormtrooper! Anyone who stands still is a well-disciplined Imperial Stormtrooper! You guys ought to do a story about me sometime!"

Are... are people really complaining about tactics used by rebels in a trailer for a star wars movie?

really?

Because the other star wars movies are brimming with brilliant military strategy and tactics, right?  :blink:

It's not even a trailer. It's a poster.

I don't know how I noticed this, but it's cool.

Looking at the Rogue One trailer for the umpteenth time, I noticed some details of the Star Destroyer passing by the Death Star, notably the structure between the shield-bulbs seemed off:

_89126095_cruiser.jpg

I looked at old images and was reminded of the EUish explanation of the Imperial-I seen in Ep. IV versus the Imperial-II's we see in Episode V+.

Imperial-II on the left and earlier Imperial-I on the right:

classcompare04yt1.jpg

EU made these two different models when probably (imho) they were just small variations in models made for later films?

But, you will note that the Imperial-I (not the more common II) is what we see in Rogue One!  There are several details if you look closely that match up. The tower as mentioned, a ramp missing from between the decks below the command tower, inclusion of the 3 turbolaser cannons on the top deck, and the proper "panels" on top of the craft near the point.

Someone was really concerned with details and thus we have the earlier version seen in Rogue One, just before this same earlier version is seen chasing the Tantive IV.

ETA: Is that the Devastator in the top picture about to hyperspace after a fleeing Tantive IV?

Edited by Sturn

Gotta love the crazy alien door gunner.

iDh4KWG.jpg

I'm especially fond of the fact that they based the blaster on an M60. 

(sorry probably long boring post to most)

I like that they are keeping the tradition from the original trilogy of using parts of real-world weapons. The M60 isn't WW2 era like most of what was used in Ep4, but it's related to the MG42 that was used to make the DLT-19.

In this case (above) it looks like they may have used almost the ENTIRE M60 (I once had a job title of "M60 gunner" in my youth). The scope on top is new, replacing a flip up sight. The back part from around the pintle rearward is all original M60. The M60 appears to have been slid intact into the block mounted to the pedestal/pintle mount and the barrel at the front with the round holes. You can still see the actual barrel and gas tube of the M60 in the middle all of that: the two darker "barrels" in the middle. The actual M60 heat shield are the slots you see below the front of the scope.

I hope they make a black series 6" of this guy; he's going on my shelf for sure. Probably set him beside a couple of these pictures from back when I only thought I was a badass :)

Huey1edit.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cq7eqWWmMz

Huey2.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7crIWhKt-6BBOLZ

Edited by Sturn

I do think this movie is going to be just stunning. The shot of the Death Star eclipse was just awesome, and the beach scene is looking like it's going to be just as great. Plus it's going to be great seeing the classic X-wing and stormtrooper.

That trailer looks great to me. I'm much more hopeful on this film than I was on TFA, and I hope I'm not disappointed.

Same thoughts.

U-wing: It has a hyperdrive. I figured so (it could have been carried, but this is SW), but this confirmed it. Also I was happy that the cockpit is a 2-seater side by side. Looking at the ship it's cockpit appeared based upon the Y-wing that sometimes has 2 seats front to back. Using that as a scale reference it just seemed so small on the outside to have a load of troops underneath, a couple pilots up top, and space for a couple door gunners. If that cockpit is side by side, using that as a reference makes it bigger.

Silhouette 3 or 4? I originally had been thinking it's a tiny shuttle/gunship of Silh. 3 especially when I compared the cockpit to the Y-wing. That Silhouette seemed too small for its purpose (gunship/transnport), but I had been thinking it wasn't much larger then a Y-wing. Re-looking at old photographs of the crashed U-wings along with it's growth in my mind (due to above paragraph), it finally makes much more sense as a small Silh. 4 to me. Perhaps comparable to the HWK-1000 light freighter?

Edited by Sturn

That trailer looks great to me. I'm much more hopeful on this film than I was on TFA, and I hope I'm not disappointed.

Agreed. THIS looks like the Star Wars movie I want.

That said, TFA was a pleasant surprise, and is my second-favorite franchise film after ESB. It edges out a bit over ANH mostly due to the great dialogue in many scenes (and let's face it, classic lines aside the writing in the original film was not spectacular).

But this movie, this has me happy just thinking about it. I really hope I'm not expecting too much from it.

U-wing: It has a hyperdrive. I figured so (it could have been carried, but this is SW), but this confirmed it. Also I was happy that the cockpit is a 2-seater side by side. Looking at the ship it's cockpit appeared based upon the Y-wing that sometimes has 2 seats front to back. Using that as a scale reference it just seemed so small on the outside to have a load of troops underneath, a couple pilots up top, and space for a couple door gunners. If that cockpit is side by side, using that as a reference makes it bigger.

Too bad nobody told Lego about the 2-seat cockpit.

Really liked the new trailer. Appreciated the detail on the wide-angle cityscapes, something Lucas did brilliantly and which I felt was missing from TFA.

Of concern to me is the increasingly human-centric focus of the "new" prequels and sequels. We've only seen the few trailers from R1 so I am still willing to be surprised, but, other than the droid buddy, I'm not detecting much screen time for aliens. Maybe it's rose-coloured glasses, but I feel the OT and PT gave us a little more species diversity than we're seeing in these new films. I'd strongly prefer my aliens to be key players, rather than background colour.

Of concern to me is the increasingly human-centric focus of the "new" prequels and sequels. We've only seen the few trailers from R1 so I am still willing to be surprised, but, other than the droid buddy, I'm not detecting much screen time for aliens. Maybe it's rose-coloured glasses, but I feel the OT and PT gave us a little more species diversity than we're seeing in these new films. I'd strongly prefer my aliens to be key players, rather than background colour.

I said the same thing... Then again the OT was not overpopulated by alien races in key roles either.

The feeling I had after the two trailers for TFA was that there weren't that many aliens about either but luckily that was not so...

I said the same thing... Then again the OT was not overpopulated by alien races in key roles either.

The feeling I had after the two trailers for TFA was that there weren't that many aliens about either but luckily that was not so...

Budget limitations are a real thing. That one droid cost millions of dollars.

I believe that the movie proceeds from Yavin to Jedha, where Baze Malbus, Chirrut Îmwe, and Saw Guerrera are located. After getting help from them, the rebels head to their base hidden on scarif, they attack and steal the plans, retreat to their base, are followed, the rebel base is attacked and overwhelmed, many rebels sacrificing themselves so the Rogue One team can head to the hyperspace relay in a last ditch effort to beam the plans to the Tantive IV.

The end.

The comment about Bothans is from RotJ, when Mon Motha is speaking of the information about the second Death Star.

(Setting aside the notion of obvious non-humans acting as spies against a government that is intensely bigoted against aliens...)

The comment about Bothans is from RotJ, when Mon Motha is speaking of the information about the second Death Star.

(Setting aside the notion of obvious non-humans acting as spies against a government that is intensely bigoted against aliens...)

It's funny how many times I've seen the Bothan mention on Facebook and YouTube comments responding to Rogue One.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/08/many-bothans-will-not-be-dying-in-rogue-one/

There's even an erroneous meme available:

adpv61Q_700b.jpg

In movie canon, how do we know that Bothan's were intended to be an alien race? Botha could have been a planet of humans. :)

Edited by Sturn