Sign in to follow this  
Shenannigan

Mechanics you wished were in the game.

I forgot but how about S-foils for X-wings, B-wings and Star Vipers. (Although the T-70 doesn't really need any help.)

Modified S-foils Modification. X-wing, B-wing and Star Viper only. (The ARC-170 will automatically have this action)

Your action bar gains the <s-foil> action.

Action S-foils. Conduct the 1 straight maneuver and gain an S-foil token. While equipping an S-foil token your firepower is reduced to 1 and your agility is increased by 1. All straight maneuvers revealed on your dial have their speed increased by 1. You can discard the s-foil token as the end of the planning phase.

Edited by Marinealver

Broadside ship. Not a turret, or a 180 arc. A broadside ship with side arcs.

I'd like to see it with native or discounted cannon, too. Something in keeping with that style of volley fire, rather than high maneuverability dogfighters. I think it'd make a really interesting variation in play style.

I wish there was a mechanic that utilized pilot skill difference. Something that allows a pilot skill 9 against a 1 to have something different than against ps8. Currently there is only lower, tied, and higher for practical affects. I don't want to overpower aces, so maybe make it a unique pilot skill, but I think it would be fun and unique.

I wish there was a mechanic that utilized pilot skill difference. Something that allows a pilot skill 9 against a 1 to have something different than against ps8. Currently there is only lower, tied, and higher for practical affects. I don't want to overpower aces, so maybe make it a unique pilot skill, but I think it would be fun and unique.

There is predator.

There is predator.

But you shouldn't need a upgrade card, if the PS difference is 3 or 4 then it should be automatic, or add/subtract a die like range modifiers.

ELS. (Fans of the X-wing video games know what I mean).

So much this.

I wish they just worked it into the Action system.  Boost already basically covers power to Engines.  I wish there were "+1 Attack" and "Recover 1 Shield" Actions as well to represent power to Lasers and power to Shields.

Yes, this is how Veteran Instincts should have been done instead of adding to PS. Something like

Veteran Instincts 2.0 (Combat Experience?)

Elite, 3 pts (maybe 4)

When attacking or defending against ships with Pilot Skill of 2 (or 3) or more lower than you, you may reroll 1 die.

If their Pilot Skill is 5 (or 6) or more lower than yours, you may reroll up to 2 dice.

For many of the under used PS 7-9 crowd like Tycho, Salm, Mithel, Rhymer, Serissu and Cobra, this would let them earn back their high cost by increasing their damage and suvivability against most enemies.

The middle PS pilots would probably want Predator, PTL or Crack Shot since this would not trigger much for them. These same mid PS pilots would also provide insurance against this ability over the PS1-3 crowd, so they might see more play.

Edited by pickirk01

At first I was going to say something about regenerating shields as a basic rule rather than a special ability, but then I recall that it doesn't really occur much, if at all, in the films.

Elevation gets mentioned a lot, but it's less important, IMO, in a space combat game like X-Wing than it is in an aerial dogfight game like Wings of Glory. There, the vertical axis is different; you're swapping height and speed to gain advantage. In space, it's just another direction, and I'm not convinced the added faff of implementing it would give enough of a payoff to be worth bothering with.

On the subject of Wings of Glory, that has a benefit for tailing over and above simply being behind the enemy (IIRC, if you have an enemy plane in your front arc and at short range); you get to see one of its manoeuvre cards before you play yours. Crimson Skies took it a bit further; depending on how well you were tailing (based on distance, relative agility, whether the lead plane was on fire, etc), you could be told: whether the lead plane was turning left or right or going straight; what speed it was going; or if you were tailing well enough, exactly what its chosen manoeuvre would be.

I'd like to see a hyperspace mechanic. Both for arriving into the battlespace and possibly as a retreat option for ships so equipped. Perhaps ships leaving the battlespace via their home edge or by hyperspace would count as surviving at half damage or whatever damage they've taken for the purposes of VPs, depending on scenario.

Energy management ... I'm a bit torn on that one. It was a big feature of the computer games, but the original source material? Not really, IIRC. On the subject of implementing computer game elements in this game, later games had a "jet-wash" effect - fly too close to the back of a large ship, and you'd start taking damage; if you're within Range 1 of a Huge ship and in its back arc (clearly you'd need to have a "back arc" on their base inserts), suffer a 1-die attack?

People have suggested various squadron benefits. Perhaps go the other way, and only allow (some?) abilities to affect friendly ships from the same squadron (and you'd need to specify which squadrons the various named pilots fly in; it's all in Wookieepedia, but takes some finding).

Caveat: None of these can be applied in a vacuum (so to speak); clearly they would affect points costs, so I'm not advocating just chucking them into the game as it stands now.

Well there was shield management in the movies when gold squadron entered the deathstar trench. They first switch deflectors to double front against the guns and when the guns stopped they switched to double rear.

I don't know how it could be implemented using the current X-wing mechanics. Maybe a dual upgrade card Modification for ships with shield value >2 only.

• If attacker is inside firing arc when taking 1 or more damage recover 1 shield
  • If attacker is outside firing arc when taking 2 or more damage recover 1 shield.
Edited by Marinealver

Have always wanted to see a mechanic that would let a ship give up its own attack to allow an ally ship to attack instead.

Also, I'd like to see more support effects that work line Etahn Abaht's ability in that he gives allied ships a buff against ships inside his firing arc. At the time, way back in Wave 4,it was a really interesting approach to support and broke up the"friendly ship at Range X" trend up to that point. However, non Corran E wings have always costed too much, and such an ability souls probably be on a much cheaper craft. As such, no one played him, and I feel like it removed the possibility of similar abilities in the game, leading to more "friendly ship at Range X" abilities.

Squadron Synergies - 3 or more of the same shiptype within range 2 of each other gain x bonus.

Yup, something like that, perhaps as one of a number of optional 'realism' rules in a book of custom missions designed and marketed by FFG for more mission-oriented players like me.

I know, I know! Star Wars is science fiction, and this is a game! But we do have the OT as source material, after all; and to be honest a lot of what happens on our tabletops is becoming increasingly distant from that source material. This may not bother the vast majority of current players, of course, but it does bother me. An analogy: if I played a Battle of Britain skirmish game I wouldn't really want my RAF forces to comprise one Spitfire, one Hurricane piloted by super ace Douglas Bader and armed with special experimental cannons, a two-man Bristol Beaufighter with a hotshot rear gunner and a Wellington bomber with King George VI on board to give dice bonuses to all friendly craft within Range 1. Because that would defy all logic and, indeed, common sense. It would no longer be a game based on the Battle of Britain, would it?

I would also love this.  Even something like the mindlink card but that gives multiple ships of the same type a Lone Wolf type of effect would actually be an easy way to do it.  Fly your swarm in formation and get bonuses, how crazy is that?

I was pondering this the other day. What about a single squadron card that cost points but added to all ships vs a title card for each ship?

Red Squadron - 8pts. T-65s only All ships gain barrel roll. If present, Luke Skywalker may ignore one critical hit.

Gold Squadron - 5pts. BTL-A4 Y-wings only All ships may equip a proton torpedo at 0 points cost.

Green Squadron - 6pts. A-wings only All ships gain one extra shield token.

Asp Nebula Squadron -4pts. E-wings and T-70 X-xings only All ships may deploy at range 2 from table edge. (Veteran pilots able to drop straight from hyperspace into combat)

Black Bantha Squadron - 6pts. Y-wing only All ships deploy with one less shield token and ion tokens effects last 2 turns (Over-charged ion cannons)

The points cost and specific ships limit the effects but add flavor. There would be similar imperial squadrons. Scum might have a couple of z-95 pirate squadrons. Named pilots just represent the aces of that squadron with similar skill. The cost would keep the named pilots to one most of the time anyway. I don't fly enough to have a good idea of the final points costs. the ones I suggested were just picked on the fly.

Broadside ship. Not a turret, or a 180 arc. A broadside ship with side arcs.

I'd like to see it with native or discounted cannon, too. Something in keeping with that style of volley fire, rather than high maneuverability dogfighters. I think it'd make a really interesting variation in play style.

A tiny turretless Tantive?

In essence, sure. Probably large base. Maybe with a built in mechanic that allows it to fire from both sides in the same turn (similar to the /SF title for the rear arc), to promote flying it through battles, rather than circling the perimeter.

I'd argue it should have a cannon slot, or be 3 attack primary. If it had a cannon, that primary should be 2 at most. Maybe a system slot, too.

Fluff wise, I don't know if anything fits this. I don't really know much about the vast catalogue of ships to say anything like this exists, but it is something I'd love to see.

ELS. (Fans of the X-wing video games know what I mean).

So much this.

I wish they just worked it into the Action system.  Boost already basically covers power to Engines.  I wish there were "+1 Attack" and "Recover 1 Shield" Actions as well to represent power to Lasers and power to Shields.

I always thought in the focus action as an ELS for xwing (and it would be probably much better if they called it ELS instead of focus).

With a focus you can boost your offense or defense (L or S), or push the limits of your ship with a red maneuver (E) and get no focus. Every ship can do that.

Probably they would get even more ELS feeling if every ship could regen shield with an unused focus, but I suppose this would made the game unassumable longer.

Great ideas! I like the idea of using pegs to set the 3D aspects of flight and how that could be managed.

As someone who has flown off the map a few times in recent fights, I ask, why does this have to be the end of the ship? Why not reroute to the other side of the map? Call it a hyperjump or something like that.

Transforming ship.

Well, not literally, but quickest way to slap a name to it in a way people would understand what it does lol.

I want a ship that can change how it behaves either at a specific point or with an action. As in it changes what its moves are colored on its dial and/or modifies various stats midbattle.

I would love to have a super fast ship zip across the table, kturn behind someone, then switch to "hover mode" and start puttering forward far slower than an "interceptor" type ship should be moving, but at the cost of agility and you cant freely switch.

The Uboat could easily fit this bill so i hope it has something to this effect.

A U-turn maneuver that displaces to the side (like in ST:AW as opposed to the K-turn).

A "heavy" tractor beam that slows speed by piling on tokens and can draw in a ship (huge ship only).

A mechanic that creates squad benefits for generic ships of the same type flown together.

Epic-only smaller ships with support functions.

Troop transports that allow boarding actions (and thus remove the boarded ship from play).

An upgrade for low PS generics that targets high PS unique pilots ("Ambitious Underling/Beginner").

A capital or large ship that only fires broadsides.

Faction-free ships.

"Chaff Dispenser".  A single-use defense that comes with different (blue?) defense die with better probabilities for evasion.

Edited by Darth Meanie

The new Condition cards could actually be an opening for a power management feature for the game.

A set might include 4 cards. One is a modification upgrade with appropriate restrictions and cost and it could say something like;

Power Allocation

Modification

(Restriction blah blah, #points)

After performing a speed 1 maneuver, assign1 Power Allocation condition card to this ship

Condition: Power Allocation

Energy to Shields

You may assign up to 2 shield tokens to this ship up to your maximum. You may not perform any attacks this round.

Energy to Weapons

Increase your primary weapon value by 1 for the rest of this round.

Energy to Thrusters

Increase your Agility value by 1 for the rest of this game round.