Sign in to follow this  
Letanir

Stalker class and trap tokens

Just quick question: Is stalker allowed to discard trap tokens at will? Playing Forgotten Souls and some of traps left far behind, so can I just discard them from map?

There never was stated you could remove them (like with familiars) so I guess you would be limited by the amount you have.

You could houserule it so you could place something else on the map.... but every answer regarding too less tokens/figures to place for an ability always mention something like "you are limited to the amount of tokens/figures available"...

(I think there are 6.... but what if you had the expansion 2 times and had 12 tokens?)...

I could be completly wrong here.

Disclaimer: I have not looked up an official answer to this.

What makes the most sense to me is if the stalker wishes to place a trap and is at supply, he must throw one away first (choose one to remove from the map). The alterntive seems to only weaken the stalker, who already has it a little rough.

Doesn't it specify in the rulebook? Other classes that use similar tokens have plenty of options to use them at will. It doesn't seem that much of a problem in normal quests though. Some classes are better in the co-ops than others (everything that uses familiars that can attack and move for example).

I have never run into this problem in all the times I've played as or with a Stalker, as the box comes with plenty of trap tokens and most of them get used up shortly after being dropped.

Although its never been a problem in any encounter, I could envision it occurring in a co-op in which you don't remove the map tiles of previous rooms as you go..

It seems like such an unlikely and niche case I'd say yeah, let the poor stalker toss those trap tokens that are many rooms behind. It just seems cruel and unusual punishment to do anything else, given that they are already the worst scout in the game.

Edited by Charmy

I have never run into this problem in all the times I've played as or with a Stalker, as the box comes with plenty of trap tokens and most of them get used up shortly after being dropped.

Although its never been a problem in any encounter, I could envision it occurring in a co-op in which you don't remove the map tiles of previous rooms as you go..

It seems like such an unlikely and niche case I'd say yeah, let the poor stalker toss those trap tokens that are many rooms behind. It just seems cruel and unusual punishment to do anything else, given that they are already the worst scout in the game.

Oh co-ops and your exploits...

Reminds me of the time I picked Conjurer and Many Friends. Left 2 Image Tokens in the starting room and kept rolling that extra green die all game long.

In our recent gaming session the question arose whether the traps of the stalker only damage monster in adjacent spaces but not the the space containing the trap itself as stated on the card. I would argue that any space is adjacent to itself, is there a clear ruling?

In our recent gaming session the question arose whether the traps of the stalker only damage monster in adjacent spaces but not the the space containing the trap itself as stated on the card. I would argue that any space is adjacent to itself, is there a clear ruling?

There is actually a clear ruling that the OPPOSITE is true. A space is definitively NOT adjacent to itself. Adjacent spaces are exactly 1 space away, while a space is 0 spaces from itself. If you wanted to say "1 or 0 spaces away" that would be "within 1 space."

All that being said, I have heard of a group or two house ruling the stalker trap to work when a monster steps ON it as well. However, that is not how the traps work, RAW.

There never was stated you could remove them (like with familiars) so I guess you would be limited by the amount you have.

You could houserule it so you could place something else on the map.... but every answer regarding too less tokens/figures to place for an ability always mention something like "you are limited to the amount of tokens/figures available"...

(I think there are 6.... but what if you had the expansion 2 times and had 12 tokens?)...

I could be completly wrong here.

"Trap tokens are limited by the amount in the supply."

Taken straight out of the Trollfens rulebook. Page 4.

There is actually a clear ruling that the OPPOSITE is true. A space is definitively NOT adjacent to itself. Adjacent spaces are exactly 1 space away, while a space is 0 spaces from itself. If you wanted to say "1 or 0 spaces away" that would be "within 1 space."

All that being said, I have heard of a group or two house ruling the stalker trap to work when a monster steps ON it as well. However, that is not how the traps work, RAW.

Thank you as always for your help. Still kind of strange that a traps does not trigger when something steps on it.

Thank you as always for your help. Still kind of strange that a traps does not trigger when something steps on it.

I've always viewed it thematically as the trap token represents the actual hazard mechanism (e.g. a dart thrower or snare branch) and the spaces adjacent to it represent the 'sensors' of the trap (e.g. trip wire, pressure plate). If you manage to get to the trap mechanism itself while not hitting the activation mechanism, it makes sense that area would remain safe.

I find it is usually not an issue, as in most cases the figure cannot reach the space the token is on without moving into an adjacent space first.

I find it is usually not an issue, as in most cases the figure cannot reach the space the token is on without moving into an adjacent space first.

The notable exception being when the trap is initially placed next to the figure.