Sign in to follow this  
Boba Rick

TImeing of Dice Modification

Are you allowed to modify attack dice after the defender rolls his green dice, or must it all be done before that?

Attacker rolls attack dice

Defender modifies Attack Dice (i.e. Sensor Jammer)

Attacker modifies Attack Dice

Defender rolls defense dice

Attack modifies Defense Dice (i.e. Juke)

Defender modifies Defense Dice

Compare Results.

This is the order of operations in an attack.

Are you allowed to modify attack dice after the defender rolls his green dice, or must it all be done before that?

Compare Results.

Really struggling to make a "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" joke here but it has been a long day. 

if the defender does roll before your mods are done, his roll does not count and he has to wait and then roll again properly 

Edited by Timathius

As a defender it's best to not even touch your dice until after attack modifiers.

It also helps to just narrate the steps during, even if only to yourself. Just confirm that the opponent is ready to move to the next step, takes but a tenth of a second after all and can save loads.

What an awesome and complete answer.  Thank you.

What if the other knucklehead rolls his green dice at the same time you do?

You point out the proper order of things.  I suggest you then establish a ruling between yourselves on how things could advance.  Your potential options.

1.  He picks up his dice like they were never rolled.  Do attack roll modifications.  Have defense rolled.

2.  Stick with defense dice as rolled except allow going back to modify attack dice.

I'll say that #1 is the most correct but #2 can be the most punishing when it is ALWAYS followed.  If you know what the defense is going to be you'll know if spending tokens or other limited use abilities will be wasted; not much point turning three EYES into three HITS when you know your opponent will get three Evades.  The problem with #2 is that unless it is always used what keeps the premature defender from seeing his dice and then deciding he may do better if he tries again after letting you modify the attack roll?  If the Defender sees a great defense roll he'd want it to stand which may give you better information regarding modification but still may not help you get over a good defense but if he rolls badly he'd just pick it up so you can no longer exploit that if possible.

Safest for all to just have him always pick up the dice and roll again.

For heaven's sake, what is with everyone pretending that the Rules subforum doesn't exist these last couple months?

For some STUPID reason people seem to think they'll get a better response on the main forum.  That is of course complete bull because anyone who will answer it here would also answer it there about as fast.  Maybe even faster as it would be easier to spot it the daily list of new threads.

Attacker Modifies Results (i.e. Crackshot)

Compare Results.

You could add another step to that called modify results thanks to an errata upgrade called Crack Shot.

I suspect there will be more modify results upgrades and pilot abilities as the game progresses.

now since Crackshot is the only modify results upgrade I only put in attacker modifys results. However as more modify results are placed in I suspect it would be similar to modify dice timing.

Edited by Marinealver

For heaven's sake, what is with everyone pretending that the Rules subforum doesn't exist these last couple months?

Just don't read the post and u won't have to worry ;)

Yeah, like that is even possible. How do you suppose to pretend not to see the title?

Just don't read the post and u won't have to worry ;)

Yeah, like that is even possible. How do you suppose to pretend not to see the title?

Didn't say don't read the title I said don't read the post. So u take 2 second to read the title go o it's a rules question and keep scrolling takes 3 seconds and u don't have to worry about wasting time reading the post and making a reply that doesn't really help to the op. Now I will admit nether am I but that cause ita already been answered the best possible way by some other helpful people.

So I would like to say thanks to to non complainers and the people who accually answered the ops post :).

Also the sub forms I found don't show up on all devices. I just got a new phone a week ago and my old phone doesn't show them so that could be why people are not always post the rules in the sub fourm.

Edited by kgwradford

Defender rolls defense dice (Defender adds dice i.e. C3PO)

Attacker Modifies Results (i.e. Crackshot)

Compare Results.

You could add another step to that called modify results thanks to an errata upgrade called Crack Shot.

I suspect there will be more modify results upgrades and pilot abilities as the game progresses.

now since Crackshot is the only modify results upgrade I only put in attacker modifys results. However as more modify results are placed in I suspect it would be similar to modify dice timing.

See above Added.

Interestingly, C3PO die may be crackshot.

What an awesome and complete answer. Thank you.

I have had this at a tournament, where my opponent was an extremely nervous guy and always rolled his greens at the same time than i did my reds. I had to insist multiple times that he should wait for modifications and rerolls before throwing his dice. In the end of the game after a judge had shown him the appropriate phase in the rulebook he had understood it though... Edited by ForceM

I have had this at a tournament, where my opponent was an extremely nervous guy and always rolled his greens at the same time than i did my reds. I had to insist multiple times that he should wait for modifications and rerolls before throwing his dice. In the end of the game after a judge had shown him the appropriate phase in the rulebook he had understood it though...

I have T.O'd a lot of tournaments.  You see this a lot with new players who are nervous or just very inexperienced.

Much rarer, but of more concern are the guys trying to skip your chance to modify, but that happens occasionally, too.

I have had this at a tournament, where my opponent was an extremely nervous guy and always rolled his greens at the same time than i did my reds. I had to insist multiple times that he should wait for modifications and rerolls before throwing his dice. In the end of the game after a judge had shown him the appropriate phase in the rulebook he had understood it though...

I have T.O'd a lot of tournaments.  You see this a lot with new players who are nervous or just very inexperienced.

Much rarer, but of more concern are the guys trying to skip your chance to modify, but that happens occasionally, too.

I have had that second thing you mention only once with an opponent but there i did not hesitate and immediately called for a judge, who luckily told my opponent to stop this behaviour.

I mean he had thrown his dice before i even had the chance to look at mine properly and then when i protested and told him i wanted to use my reroll (was playing Fat Han iirc) he told me he would allow this once but the next time i needed to be quicker or it would be a missed opportunity... Can you even believe that? I was like: "Oookaaay... You wot M8? Juuudge!!!"

The guy that does it to deprive you of the modification opportunity could be cited for unsportsmanlike conduct.  If he doesn't think you are "fast enough" in getting to the die modifications maybe you should just tell him that you were waiting for him to confirm that he wasn't making any modifications first even if he doesn't have any that he could have made.

It's someone like that who you just say "you rolled it so now that's what you'll roll but we're still including the modify attack window where the attacker already knows what the defense will be."  Of course if rolled a poor defense he'd probably be overjoyed to do it again which is why I said earlier that you should pick one way or the other and always stick to it.