Sign in to follow this  
Parravon

How many Tractor Beams?

Now here's a thing I've just noticed. I've just opened my newly arrived Mist Hunter expansion pack expecting to find two copies of the Tractor Beam upgrade. The initial Wave VIII release photo from way back showed two copies of the card and one Electronic Baffles. This was further backed up by the fact there were two Tractor Beam tokens.See below:

Wave%208%20Mist%20Hunter_zpsridj4e8e.png

Now I discover I've got only one copy of Tractor Beam and two copies of Electronic Baffles. And the pack insert supports this also. But there's still two Tractor Beam tokens. So, I'm slightly confused and do a little digging only to find that the illustration above has now been replaced with a new illustration below in all the related news articles.

swx41-spread-fix.png

Now FFG have always been good about giving you all the tokens you need for whatever is in each upgrade pack, so it seems clear that they decided (much later) that it would be easier to swap out the cards than create a new punch card of tokens.

My question is "Why?" What was wrong with two Tractor Beam cards in the pack? I'm not that keen on Electronic Baffle as there's already ways to get rid of stress and ion tokens that don't require suffering damage.

I now have only one Tractor Beam upgrade card and a redundant token and I was really looking forward to fielding a couple of ships with Tractor Beams.

Has anybody else noticed this subtle change?

There was a bit of a stink about it on release a couple weeks ago, so I think others have indeed noticed.  ;)

As for why -- no idea. Possibly they decided that, with Imperial Veterans fast approaching, most everyone would have all of the Tractor Beams they'd want soon enough. Thus it makes sense to double-up on something else to make sure neither card has supply issues.

Whatever the reason, it's entirely their perogative to make the change. Until the packs hit shelves, FFG are free to alter the contents at their leisure. Just because they've shown something in a preview article does not mean it's 100% locked in.

The running theory is that they only ship a ship with multiple cards if you can run multiple copies of that card on multiple copies of that ship - and because the title is unique, you can only ever run one tractor beam on one mist hunter.

I'm not sure I buy the logic, but it doesn't bother me too much.  I got two Mist Hunters to have one to paint, so come Imp Vets I will have 4 TBs, which I think is enough for any possible list using them, even the Waffalo Herd.

so guys.  how many copies of tractor have you actually wanted in a list?  so far, ive only seen a tie defender list want 2, and after testing, im thinking of going down to 1.  

I agree. 1 is usually enough and the current meta has quite a number of large ships involved. Plus I really don't mind having 2 baffles now that I personally cut my mist hunter order to 1 in favour of the U-boats :P. Try them with PTL AD/AC brobots, they're wonderful.

Edited by Grivoire

so guys.  how many copies of tractor have you actually wanted in a list?  so far, ive only seen a tie defender list want 2, and after testing, im thinking of going down to 1.  

Mt TIE Defender list uses an Ion Cannon and a Tractor Beam, 2 Tractors can be overkill.

I asked about this and they said "This looks to be an error in our marketing team".  So I'll just want for the Imperial Veterans to come out.  Besides I was going to buy two Mist Hunters, this way I save money.  For the cost of a card I saved the price of a ship not bad really.

Should be coming with one.

But for how long? ;)

Aren't we fancy with photo shop! (though you should also erase the tractor beam token as well)

Who knows maybe we will get TWO in this pack since the Misthunter was short one

Nah, they didn't take out the second tractor token from the Mist Hunter...

That's why I now have four...

I've proxied 4 in a syck list. You can get to 5.

I've proxied 4 in a syck list. You can get to 5.

Waffalo Herd uses 4.  Waffalo Herd is hilarious.

4x Omicron Group Pilot + Electronic Baffles, Tractor Beam, Tactician.

Now here's a thing I've just noticed. I've just opened my newly arrived Mist Hunter expansion pack expecting to find two copies of the Tractor Beam upgrade. The initial Wave VIII release photo from way back showed two copies of the card and one Electronic Baffles. This was further backed up by the fact there were two Tractor Beam tokens.See below:

Wave%208%20Mist%20Hunter_zpsridj4e8e.png

Now I discover I've got only one copy of Tractor Beam and two copies of Electronic Baffles. And the pack insert supports this also. But there's still two Tractor Beam tokens. So, I'm slightly confused and do a little digging only to find that the illustration above has now been replaced with a new illustration below in all the related news articles.

swx41-spread-fix.png

Now FFG have always been good about giving you all the tokens you need for whatever is in each upgrade pack, so it seems clear that they decided (much later) that it would be easier to swap out the cards than create a new punch card of tokens.

My question is "Why?" What was wrong with two Tractor Beam cards in the pack? I'm not that keen on Electronic Baffle as there's already ways to get rid of stress and ion tokens that don't require suffering damage.

I now have only one Tractor Beam upgrade card and a redundant token and I was really looking forward to fielding a couple of ships with Tractor Beams.

Has anybody else noticed this subtle change?

Aaaarrrrggghhhhh!!!! Sigh...I was  <_< wondering why there were two tokens with only one card...(...sob... :()