Sign in to follow this  
froo

I added more "boardgame" bits to my game

To try and get the players more into character I decided to add some more bits to the game. I think tactile feedback helps keep people entertained, especially if you're quibbling over money.

I've seen the campaign coins that are made here downunder, and they're nice... but a little too... pricey.

So I went low tech.

I bought a whole heap of plastic "coins" that are used in crafts, for jewellery etc.

These are my pennies

153f_12.JPG

My shillings

!BTJy!Y!Bmk~$(KGrHgoOKjcEjlLmYdDjBKG-iL0 

and finally my gold crowns

ce27_12.JPG

These cost about $1 for 20 from your local craft store if you can get them.

Finally I've spoiled all my players by giving them velvet pouches to store all their coins in.

black%20velvet%20pouch.jpg

What has everyone else done to spoil their players?

EDIT - I also currently have my eye on a small treasure chest to house all of these little chits :)

9591lb.jpg

I bought about 400 pennies, about 200 shillings and something like 30 gold crowns to start with (they're currently housed in a large bag... hence why I want the mini chest)

I was actually thinking about gems too, although I dont think that's going to happen for a little while.

Anyway, for those wondering why I would do something like this (apart from coolness factor) is that I like the idea that tactile contact with physical items can make one more attached to them and that I like to use this to my advantage by doling out a little less money than what my players would like, so them spending it becomes a harder choice.

I think it adds a little to realism and the gritty feeling of the warhammer world, where you really start as the lowest of the low :)

We always get players who just toss money around like crazy.  Giant tips and whatnot and forget to write it down on their character sheets.  This way, they start to realize that they're running dry.

I like it. 

Jh

froo said:

I think it adds a little to realism and the gritty feeling of the warhammer world, where you really start as the lowest of the low :)

Absolutely!  That's one of the best things about the whole setting is starting out without enough money to make it to the next town, and ending up saving the Empire.  My forum name comes from my first Warhammer character, who went from stealing just to survive, to the Graf of Middenheim about 4800 xp and several insanities later.

You've convinced me to go through with the whole coinage thing too.  I'll be picking up some for our game this Friday.

I'm not sure if anyone considered this yet, but there are coinage that they took from the "old world armory" book and made into PDFs that you can print and cut out. I have whole containers full of old world coins :D

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=51&esem=4

Using cardstock, I print out one page, then print out another page flipped horizontally, and glue them back to back and cut them out. Then edge each coin with yellow, grey, or brown markers.

I'm a sucker for props too.  I already have way too many Campaign coins (pricey but beautiful), and the coppers will get some use in WFRP (they are pretty much useless in D&D).  I also went out and bought a bunch of those little boxes to store the player's stuff in.  I got them at a Hobby Lobby for about $3.50 each, and got different styles so each player can recognize their box.  Should help to keep track of all the bits, and keep them at my place so there is less chance of losing components.

John

I've been toying around with an idea of Ranald's Coins. They wouldn't be anything like the magic item but like poker chips from Deadlands. Basicly you raise a random number (fortune points in WFRP2, don't know how it works with WFRP3) of random coins from a purse. The higher the value of the coin the better the effect. Re-rolls, bonuses to rolls you name it. Using certain type of coin (silver) GM gets a coin for himself to use. If you have any coins at the end of the session you may change them into a (small) number of experience.

doc_cthulhu said:

Holy Cometh, Batman! I just checked what you meant by Campaign Coins and... Woah! Those would go extremely well with my idea of Ranald's Coins. Too bad that they cost a small fortune! 

Yeah, they are beautiful and the feel of real metal coinage can't be beat, but I tend to agree with my gaming buddies who mock me for paying real money (and not inconsequential sums of it) for fake money....

John