Sign in to follow this  
jeffbrown

best campaign for a mixed group

My Daughter is going to run a campaign in the RPG group I sponsor at the high school.  The kids want to mix characters from Edge of the Empire, Force and Destiny and Age of Rebellion.  

What's the best campaign to run for a mixed group like this.  The kids are new to the system (except my daughter who has run a campaign for our family) but not new to roleplaying.  

I was wondering if she should just do a Edge of Empire campaign or Age of Rebellion (perhaps one of the official ones)?  I didn't think Force and Destiny campaigns would lend themselves to a mixed group as well.  

Just curious what everyone thought.  

How about one of the beginner boxes? Your daughter will have to grind through it, but it is the best tool for teaching new people how to play.
If you go that route, the EotE box is best for mix groups.

I think the kids can handle a real game, but that's a great idea.  Would you say an EotE game is best for mixed groups?

How about one of the beginner boxes? Your daughter will have to grind through it, but it is the best tool for teaching new people how to play.
If you go that route, the EotE box is best for mix groups.

Edge or Age beginner box work well, although the group won't be mixed if they use the Pre-Gens. With a little work any pre-gen from any of the 3 boxes could fit into any of the three stories. Perhaps buy the box you want then download the 2 free PDF characters from FFG's product pages for the other 2 Begginer boxes, that will give you more variety. Don't know how much it will unbalance things, but it would be fun.

By the way, you are an awesome dad, and well done to your daughter picking up the GM roll, it's a tough but rewarding gig. I think it's actually a great skill to learn confidence in public speaking and general communication skills. Bravo to your family.

Edited by Richardbuxton

Edge or Age beginner box work well, although the group won't be mixed if they use the Pre-Gens. With a little work any pre-gen from any of the 3 boxes could fit into any of the three stories. Perhaps buy the box you want then download the 2 free PDF characters from FFG's product pages for the other 2 Begginer boxes, that will give you more variety. Don't know how much it will unbalance things, but it would be fun.

By the way, you are an awesome dad, and well done to your daughter picking up the GM roll, it's a tough but rewarding gig. I think it's actually a great skill to learn confidence in public speaking and general communication skills. Bravo to your family.

thanks for the compliments.  We've been trying to use RPG's to help her gain more skill in communicating.  She is a little on the Autism spectrum but her interest in fiction has really helped us to leverage these things to help her be more social and she does a great job.  I'm a teacher at the High School and started chaperoning the club a while ago.  It's been perfect for her.  I really like the Star Wars RPGs and we have been doing them in our family for the last year.  It's been great for her and her two younger brothers.  

Personally I say it's all about characters chosen, because timeline can be adjusted to make it fit.

2 F & D Jedi types, Hired gun, Rebel Soldier can easily be set in a Clone Wars era AoR combat-centric run.

While a Seeker, Scout, Explorer, Spy centered group is much more EotE flavored.

My advice is to give the PCs more XP and cash starting out, because in a mixed setting they're not supposed to be a bunch of losers starting out.  They could be, but then you'd only be setting them up for failure.  In my current mixed game, I gave everyone an extra 100XP and 500 credits starting out, and a small, lightly armed shuttle.

Because the developers of this game seem to think that the best way to start this game is as though you're woefully undertrained, underequipped (to say the least - 500 credits doesn't give you enough to buy a decent blaster and clothes!), and have difficulty doing even the most mundane things (according to the beta version of AoR, mounting a sleeping tauntaun is "Average" Difficulty).  While you may start out okay in some regards particularly with a 4 in Agility (Characteristics is more important), it sort of undermines what a lot of players have in mind when they make a character.  They may not necessarily expect to be as awesome as Han Solo or Boba Fett starting out, but they don't want to be worse than Luke or Leia in A New Hope either, and the game, as written, starts you out worse than a naked meth-addicted Special Olympian.  

Okay, that's a slight embellishment, but you get my point. 

So an additional 100XP to get over the "Average" hump, and another 500 credits (plus 1,000cr if they want to spend all their starting Duty or whatever) for a total of 1,000cr, so they have the equipment they need to function.  At least, that's how I roll.  

IMO, play the boxed beginner sets pretty much as-is, although you could mix-and-match the pregens between AoR and EotE if you feel you need that.

Once you've done the beginner games, and some of their natural follow ups that are available for free online, you can think about whether you want to restart with custom characters, switch to custom characters, or just go on with the pregens you have.

In my experience, this is a game that starts well and plays well from the beginning, but you would be well advised to try to avoid going too far off the rails until you have more experience with it. This is a learning process for everyone, GMs and players alike.