Sign in to follow this  
shivore

Demo'ing IA, never Demo'ed before.

So I've committed to demo'ing the campaign side of IA at my FLGS in a couple of weeks. I know IA well and am doing this to try to get interest in a campaign going, but I've never demo'd a game before, or even attended a demo! I'm looking for tips and advice.

My plan right now is to have everything setup before start time with the "Viper's Den" side mission (p16 of the Core Campaign Guide). I chose this mission because I have all the necessary minis painted, it doesn't spoil anything in the campaign, and isn't too complicated.

My plan is to explain the rules, then run the mission as the Imperial Player while attendees play the Rebel heroes. If we have more than 4 people wanting to play, then I might let 4 play for a couple of game rounds then have those 4 rotate out to let another set of players give it a try.

Sound like a good plan? Any pitfalls or general advice to make it go the best it can?

If you are demoing, I would suggest playing with your cards exposed. Normally this would be suicide for an imperial, but you want, metaphorically, take the cover off and expose the cogs within. Talk as you take actions, explaining your choices to spectators. Basic showmanship.

Secondly, I dont remember Vipers Den, but if you can slide an iconic piece in there, do it. I'm not saying bring Vader... but something along those lines. Something that screams "REMEMBER HOW AWESOME STAR WARS IS???"

Showmanship.

I would also play a mission that the rebels get to kill a lot of stuff in....and end up winning....there is nothing like the feeling of winning the first game to make you buy into it.

I cannot remember the name of the mission but it is an early mission in the original campaign whereby the rebels are defending an imperial outpost from recapture against waves and waves of imperials. Vader turns up in the second to last turn aswell...I think that would be an excellent mission to demo!

just looked it up. its called under siege on page 26

Edited by Collins

Thanks everyone, I'll definitely check into that mission Collins. One thing I didn't like about the one I was thinking of was there aren't any awesome Imperial units... just stormtroopers, E-webs, and officers as I recall. I was thinking of having other miniatures around the table so people can see they do exist in the game, but it would be even better if they were on the board at some point.

If anyone else has mission suggestions that would be nice, I have access to all the missions out there I think since I have one of every blister pack and box expansion. Not everything in my collection is painted but I have a couple of weeks until demo-day so I could probably get stuff painted if needed.

I’ve mentioned this in other threads, but Hunted Down (Twin Shadows) is one of the best missions to introduce to new players.

As Sam Tomahawk mentioned, you want spectacle. You’ve got the cantina tile and two very famous characters make an appearance. Plus you can even bring the hired guns in as an optional deployment because Greedo jokes will be flying everywhere.

You can skip the rebel upgrade stage or do it yourself beforehand if you feel the group is ready for upgrade cards.

Take a couple of rounds covering all of the basic actions (while your troops are carelessly moving around and shooting different heroes) before moving on to special hero abilities.

Edited by Armandhammer

Yes. The key is to play a DM role and not the IP role whose actually trying to win. I would suggest any "fun" side mission you can do. Something that takes 6 rounds or less to accomplish. Something where they can interact with a door/terminal or two. And as posted above, a few cameos are always nice.

I would also suggest, selecting the 4 heroes for them. Give them Gaarkhan (Chewie), Jyn (Han), and Diala (Luke) for obvious reasons. I think either Fenn or Gideon are the next best bc Snipers/Commandos are always cool and Gideon is the male version of Leia.

And space out your damage so you dont wound anyone. But any of the side missions that require you to rescue someone is cool too.

~D

Subbing in to this thread as well. Looking to be hosting a demo day in a few weeks time as well, and any additional info we can scrape together would be welcome! Current goal I have is to try to have some of my mini's painted in time to help with the visual attractiveness of the game.

Not to thread jack, but I've been asked to demo Skirmish at a nearby comic event. I'm thinking 20 point pre-fab squads, with no command cards, and 5 points for controlling a terminal. Sound reasonable?