Sign in to follow this  
Meadbeard

X-Wing University

So, I've been playing this game for a little over a year now and I still enjoy the heck out of it. 

Over this past year, I've become a pretty faithful listener to several podcasts about it.  I noticed that by listening to these podcasts, I have outpaced the friends who introduced me to the game in many ways.  Then it occurred to me that these podcasts have served as something of an X-Wing University to educate me in the ways of flying little plastic ships.  (I was going to call it a Khan Academy, but that is way too Trekkie!)  

So, continuing in this train of thought, I wondered, if each of the podcasts could be broken down into different subjects to form the complete curriculum?  

Here is what I have so far:

1. NOVA Squadron Radio - MATH - Required course (MathWing anyone?)
  2. Scum & Villainy - SCIENCE - Required course  (They have their own mad scientist!) 
  3. Kessel Run - Greek Club - Extracurricular (These guys are all about breaking the rules and having fun!)
  4. Back To Dials - ENGLISH - Required course (Poetry, love notes, and bad English accents be here mates!)
  5. Mynock Squadron - Football Team - Extracurricular (These guys are highly competitive jocks who want to take State!)
  6. TCX - Study Hall - This is where you go when you need a quick cram session!
  7. Cloud City Radio & 186th Squadron - Study Abroad Programs - When you want to know how they do things across the pond!  Like, do their droids plug into the same side of the cockpit as ours do here in the states?  

That's all I got so far.  I haven't listened to Stay On Target podcast enough yet to get their feel.  Any good ideas for them?  

Am I on the right track here with these or are they way off?  

Anyways, thank you to everyone on these shows.  I enjoy each of them.    

You can soon add the "Larger World" podcast to that mix. It's going to be your "Intro to college life" Summer program that you take before you actually go to college. We will start recording it this week, with hopefully hour to hour-and-a-half casts up every week for your listening enjoyment.

You can soon add the "Larger World" podcast to that mix. It's going to be your "Intro to college life" Summer program that you take before you actually go to college. We will start recording it this week, with hopefully hour to hour-and-a-half casts up every week for your listening enjoyment.

That's Awesome Hothie! 

Iain from Phoenix Squadron has done a series of 'not your dice' flight schools.  At least one of which is on YouTube (in fact, he did a new one last weekend and it'll end up on Youtube as well).  Iain is a great player and the topics range from great stuff to know, to really high end tactics.  

The podcasts are great, but they are more in discussing upgrades, specific pilots, etc, versus the more holistic approach of Iain's Flight Schools

My favorite part of Mynock Squadron is when they to their Art of War segments. The "Know Yourself" segment was genuinely educational, I felt like I was listening to a TED talk. They may be competitive jocks, but they might also be psychology majors.

Edited by Nyarr

We (Stay On Target) try to do a little bit of everything but that is a hilarious question. You have hit the nail on the head with the other podcasts according to your satire. Entertaining topic! Ha

After listening more and thinking about it, here it is:

Stay On Target - ROTC - you guys are faithfully holding a vigil for all those Bothans that gave their lives for the Deathstar plans and X-Wing tips.  

Thank you for your service!