Sign in to follow this  
gundamv

What is the "Palp Aces" build?

I have a Palpatine from my Imperial Raider purchase this Christmas.  I also have Imperial Aces, with the TIE Interceptors.  I also have Soontir Fel.  So, how do I build a Palp Aces build and how does it match up against other meta builds?

Usually the Shuttle with Palpatine, Soontir Fel with Autothrusters, Cloaking Device, Royal Guard TIE and Push the Limit and Darth Vader with Push the Limit and other upgrades of your choice.

How well does it do against the current meta?  It's strong if you fly it correctly.  You need to learn to arc dodge like a champ, I played a game last night where I used Soontir to arc dodge like a true ace and took out a YV-666, Misthunter and Scyk fighter all without taking a single hit (The decimator took the major brunt of the damage before it was destroyed by the other three but that's a tale for another thread).

You can also use the new Inquisitor or a Phantom if the points allow, but the big two are Shuttle with Palp and Soontir who is your shining star. 

Edited by StainlessSteel

The build is:

Shuttle with Palpatine - 29

Darth with Engine upgrade, Adv targeting computer, TIE/x1 title, Vet Instincts. - 35

Soontir with Royal guard title, Autothrusters, Stealth Device, Push the limit EPT,  - 35

Total 99, 1 point initiative bid.

Shuttle + palp

Soontir + Royal guard + ptl + autothrusters + stealth

Vader + engine + title + adv target comp + lone wolf

Vader can be dropped for Carnot jax or omega leader or inquisitor

It is worth noting that there are other builds that fall under the Palp Aces name that use different Aces.

The other usual ace combos

- Whisper [FCS, ACD, VI, Kallus] + Omega Leader [Juke, Comms]

- Inquisitor [Title, PtL, Thrusters] + Omega Leader [Juke, Comms] + Wampa

- Carnor Jax [PtL, Thrusters] + Omega Leader [Juke, Comms] + Wampa

- Soontir [PtL, Thrusters] + Zeta Leader [Wired, Comms] + Wampa

All of these include the OGP + Palpatine as others mentioned.  Each build has pros/cons.

Edited by Hida77

It is worth noting that there are other builds that fall under the Palp Aces name that use different Aces.

All of these include the OGP + Palpatine as others mentioned.  Each build has pros/cons.

Why is Wampa so popular?

Why is Wampa so popular?

Because you can use palpatine to give him a crit if you'd like to deal a face down card to another ace. Will kill other aces fairly easily if you can get arc.

Wampa is so popular because you can 2 turn kill Corran horn without him rolling 1 evade dice, he can have all the shield regen he wants. B wings in 3 turns, Poe in 3 turns etc, he just has to survive that long.

Edited by Archangelspiv

Wampa is so popular because you can 2 turn kill Corran horn without him rolling 1 evade dice, he can have all the shield regen he wants. B wings in 3 turns, Poe in 3 turns etc, he just has to survive that long.

Technically he does roll his evade dice, but the results matter very little. Wampa is during the compare results step. ;)

I am partial to the Soontir/Inquisitor list at the moment. I had asked the question about which "Aces" were best, but without the Advanced fix, I don't really want to field Vader and the Inquisitor does away with opposing ATs so that is nice.

It has also evolved to a "pocket"* aces:

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

"Wampa" (14)

Total: 100

* I'm not sure what to call 'em. Mini aces? Lesser aces?

Palp Aces starts with a Lambda Class Shuttle, usually the bog standard Omicron, but I have seen Captain Yorr used to great effect, with Palpatine crew and then any pair of Imperial Aces of your choice. With the advent of the cheap "Pocket Ace", you are now seeing people running 3 other ships as opposed to 2. The list above shows a lot of good pairings, so try a few of them out and see what works for you :)

I will readily admit I have little experience with Palp shuttle, but it does seem to be a popular choice on tourney lists. There has been a lot talk about TLT being too strong or too cheap. Is Palpatine too cheap? Or the shuttle too cheap? Or the combo together too cheap? Or is the cost OK and this meta will also pass in due time?

Palpatine just combos well with Imperial ace ships who are arguably one of the strongest Imperial list types at the moment.

It's also kind of a math thing.  Imperials have a lot of good options at 26 points and under now but the 27-30 point range is a little awkward, although Inquisitor and x7 Delta Squadrons may be changing that a little.  At 29 points Palpatine makes it easier to hit the 34-40 point sweet spot on your aces.

The shuttle still feels like a bit of a weak link in the list, I prefer to spend those 29 points elsewhere, but that's just my opinion.  It's good to see the shuttle finally hitting that support ship role though, Yorr had a brief moment of glory but it feels much more solid now with the emperor.

Edited by Effenhoog

Honestly I see 'Palp aces' as an archetype rather than a singular list. The 3 ship variety is usually OGP Palp with a big and small ace. For me it's full 37 points predator Vader and 31 point Inquisitor with baffle on shuttle and 2 points for initiative.