Sign in to follow this  
gundamv

Quick questions from a returning player

Just came back to X-Wing after a 3 month hiatus and I have a few questions:

1. I just go the Star Wars Rebels Ghost ship because I like the show.  Is it any good meta-wise?  If so, what are some good builds?

2. Any word on Wave 9 or beyond?  Last I heard was that there may be a Imperial Veterans pack coming out, but I don't know if it was released yet. I think Wave 8 just came out 3 weeks ago.  I'm just a bit concerned because last year and before, we had pretty regular new-Wave announcements.  However, we've had none (or maybe one - Imperial Veterans) new Wave announced this year so far.  Looks like they may be running out of ships to make, no?

1. I just go the Star Wars Rebels Ghost ship because I like the show.  Is it any good meta-wise?  If so, what are some good builds?

2. Any word on Wave 9 or beyond?  Last I heard was that there may be a Imperial Veterans pack coming out, but I don't know if it was released yet. I think Wave 8 just came out 3 weeks ago.  I'm just a bit concerned because last year and before, we had pretty regular new-Wave announcements.  However, we've had none (or maybe one - Imperial Veterans) new Wave announced this year so far.  Looks like they may be running out of ships to make, no?

1. U-Boats (jumpmasters) are getting the hype right now but it seems that the Ghost is considered a pretty solid investment, Kanaan and Chopper are getting a lot of named pilot love, and the genric is seeing lots of play

2. Yeah right Here!

1. it's good because it counters half of builds out there and makes others think more!

2. Not really anything specific. We already ran out of them actually, hence the Rebels ships

Imperial Veterans is on the boat, under normal circumstances that woudl mean 6 to 8 weeks until delivery, but the previous wave took a LOT longer.

Wave 9 hasn't been announced yet.  But we do know from one of the podcasts which interviewed the designer that it has been fully designed, and that they're in the middle of wave 10 designs now.

Personally I'm expecing w9 to be announced on May the 4th, for a GenCon release in late Summer.

I'm hoping for Imperial Veterans before the Yavin Open the first weekend in June, but I'm not expecting it :(

The Ghost has a lot of potential, I think. I am playing a Kanan/Biggs list right now that I have trouble finding any matchups that would be worse than 50/50. And thats with 2 (well technicaly 3) PS5 ships!

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!156:36,120,-1,-1,38,160:25:14:;160:98,-1,33:26:-1:;4:-1,77:-1:20:&sn=Unnamed%20SquadronHere is the list if you are interested. The fascinating thing is how you are able to exactly dictate in what order your opponent has to target your ships since Sabine won't be deployed until Kanan is almost down (after that she gets infinite Lone Wolf usage). Any imperial ace at range 1 of Kanan is pretty much screwed. Any U-Boat will struggle to get reliable hits on to a 3 evade dice BIggs while Kanan takes the bite out of their torpedoes.

There is even more to the Ghost, it can be build in numerous ways. Chopper is an incredibly exciting pilot. The cheap generics bring you a ridiciulous amount of hull and firepower and still leave space for aditional good ships.

The big trick with the Ghost is to go with Accuracy Corrector and Autoblaster Turret.   This way, if someone is in R1 of you, you can fire two shots that always do 2 hits.  These hits can't be evaded.  If you are facing off vs. Soontir Fel or something like it, you can kill him in one turn.  Only works in R1, though.  You fire twice b/c you can use the Phantom title to have the shuttle on board.  

Surely not a must, but a "nice to have".   Autoblasters are only R1, so it's mostly there for those that get in close.  You can also fire with the main guns and then fire your bonus turret shot at someone at R1.  I think it's best used when you have someone not in your arc that you need to blast.  It works b/c the main gun is still good, but someone gets into that R1 area and you can really nail them.  

The big trick with the Ghost is to go with Accuracy Corrector and Autoblaster Turret.   This way, if someone is in R1 of you, you can fire two shots that always do 2 hits.  These hits can't be evaded.  If you are facing off vs. Soontir Fel or something like it, you can kill him in one turn.  Only works in R1, though.  You fire twice b/c you can use the Phantom title to have the shuttle on board.  

Or FCS because primary attacks are still awesomely dangerous and blow Y-wings sky-high

I usually use TLT with the Ghost for Triple attack (1 from primary and 2 from TLT).  Your thoughts?

That doesn't actually work.

The Ghost & Phantom titles specifically prevent you from making any further attacks after you make the initial free one with the turret. This means that any additional attacks your cards might generate -- including Gunner, Luke crew, and TLT -- get blocked by it.

Ghost certainly seems to be both fun and reasonably competitive. 4 combos stand out to me:

1. Kanan and Biggs for tanky resilience.

2. Hera + Intel agent + Accuracy corrector + autoblaster turret for chasing down agile targets.

3. Choppa + Engine upgrade + Ion cannon turret + Zeb. Stress + Ion makes for unhappy enemy ships while Zeb ensures you can still shoot at things you bump.

4. Lothal Rebel + dorsal turret + Han Solo + FCS + cheap Shuttle. For just over 60 points you can really maximise the firepower the VCX100 can bring to bear and still leaves you with points for a decent Ace.

I usually use TLT with the Ghost for Triple attack (1 from primary and 2 from TLT).  Your thoughts?

You can do triple attack, but you have to do TLT in your normal activation and one half of it at the end of the combat phase.

It works really nice with the tactician :>