Sign in to follow this  
cert13

Shield coins?

So by now the majority of us has seen the player/players from the Hoth event using the challenge coins for shield tokens. They look very impressive but does it show skill or just egotistical?

To have placed that many times in top 4 is a wonderful achievement but it also shows a elitist need to dominate others. Yes there is a chance that they needed that many attempts to grab a precious bye.

Would you as a player feel the need to show up others or do you show up to challenge other players to be better?

An opponent can do whatever he wants to within the bounds of the rules.  If he wants to use some tournament token as shield tokens who cares?  I can't control how my opponent will act but I CAN control how I react.  If someone shows up to a game with an attitude of superiority and belittlement I would honestly just feel sad for them.

Id probably just be in shock at the amount of money this person had to speed in travel expenses to get to all the different tourneys to win such a number of challenge coins

Depends where they live. Easy to do in socal without spending more than the gas for a forty minute drive. 

Sadly all I can see when I saw that at the Hoth open, was that a decent sized group in my area that didn't get to play in a store championship because our city only got one and schedule conflicts caused this, and the next closest was 2 hours away. Then you look at the tournament lists of the stores that had them in close proximity (1 hour or less), you see that most had the same names popping up multiple times.

And before you say it, two stores did try to get it, and were declined.

Edited by Hujoe Bigs

To be fair to the people that are being discussed, they cleared it with FFG before the tournament began.  I played against Dee Young in round 5, and yes, he was one of the people using the store coins as shield tokens.  I personally felt honored when after losing to him, he explained to me that I was a great opponent and did nothing wrong in our matchup.  The dice just didn't end up going my way.  I was using the one challenge coin that I own as a reminder for when I used Palpatine's ability.  I wanted to make sure that I remembered when I had used the ability, and it seemed like a great way to use the coin that I worked so hard to win.  I did not hear any complaints from the people that I played against, but if I had, I would have just used something else.  I really don't understand why people are getting so worked up about it.  I played against plenty of opponents at the Hoth Open that were playing with various templates or tokens that have been won for placing well at different tournaments.  Anything from Store Championships all the way up to World's.  

Edited by shadowswalker

To be fair, these guys using challenge coins as shield tokens, while playing in multiple store championships, will play to make the cut, get their challenge coin, and then drop out to give someone else a chance to win a bye for regionals. Most of these guys don't have multiple plaques to use as shield tokens.

I think this sort of thing is funny and this game and its community doesn't have to be a hugbox to the point where we can't have a laugh.

"Your tears are so high in sodium that I have high blood pressure"

"Salinity level: Mortons"

"If your opponent is quick to anger, seek to irritate him"

I've showboated before with my store Championship plaque. It was funny, I'm pretty sure it had no actual effect, but if it did then great.

At least no one was using SC plaques as shield tokens.

If I use a light imperial list and can bring my 2015 one, I could pull that off. Capped at 3.

*fast forward to the day Paul Heaver uses his 3 WC trophies as shield tokens*

That would be so amazing. Hearing him explain how/why he had three World Champion Trophies on the table would be totally worth it.  If he ever does this, someone please take a video of it and post it on Youtube.

I played against one of them day 1 and it was kinda cool. Reminded me of my MTG draft set with 10 of each foil unhinged basic presleeved (really tough to get). Go them for getting creative, and go" Mynock "squadron podcast episode 11 for poking fun at it!

How many are we talking about?  I won 4 in my attempt to get that elusive win (which never did happen)... But 4 isn't anywhere near enough for most lists...

Omega, whisper, Yorr for Brad's list. So, 8. It's impressive, but I'm fairly certain some of those were borrowed, mostly cause I don't see the names of those players in the list jugglers for the amount of top wins required.