Sign in to follow this  
brupl

Competitive list with VCX-100?

Hi guys,

There's a store championship or tournament in two weeks in my local store and I'm wondering if I could build me a competitive list which would include the VCX-100.

I prefer at least 4 ships in my builds, it makes me feel like I am more in control than an opponent with a 3 ship build, mostly since I've played a lot of games with Paul Heaver's XYYZ list recently.

There are a couple of builds I came up with:

1. With the Stresshog - total 100pts

HAMMER PS4
VCX-100 Chopper: 45 Pts
Fire Control System (no actions needed to acquire target locks, stress doesn't hurt me as much)
Autoblaster Turret (aces are afraid of the range 1)
Hera Syndulla (so I can manoever freely, stress doesn't hurt my manoeuvring abilities)
Dash Rendar (so I can manoever freely, landing on asteroids is a lot less scary)

Tactical jammer (I had 1 point left, maybe good to protect my Y wing in the first rounds of shooting if I positioned it wisely)
=> extremely manoeuvrable ship that doesn't suffer (much) from stress or from asteroids.

BLOCKER PS1
A-wing prototype pilot: 17 Pts
Chardaan refit
Autothrusters

CONTROLLER PS2
Y-wing Gold Squadron Pilot: 26 Pts

Twin Laser Turret
BTL-A4 Title
R3-A2

ANNOYING FILLER PS2
Z-95 Bandit: 12 Pts

Overall feelings:
- I think this list leaves me relatively vulnerable towards the all-powerfull Aces.
- Don't know how it would fare against the much feared Triple Toilet Seater list.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. With Jake Farrell - total 100pts

HAMMER PS4

VCX-100 Chopper: 45 Pts
Fire Control System (no actions needed to acquire target locks, stress doesn't hurt me as much)
Hera Syndulla (so I can manoever freely, stress doesn't hurt my manoeuvring abilities)
Dash Rendar (so I can manoever freely, landing on asteroids is a lot less scary)

Tactical jammer (I had 1 point left, maybe good to protect my Y wing in the first rounds of shooting if I positioned it wisely)

ACE 'HUNTER' PS9
A-Wing Jake Farrell: 28 Pts

Push the Limit
Veteran Instincts

Chardaan Refit

A-wing Test Pilot
Autothrusters

BLOCKER PS1

A-wing prototype pilot: 15 Pts
Chardaan refit

ANNOYING FILLER PS2

Z-95 Bandit: 12 Pts

Overall feelings: 
- Jake is not the best Ace Hunter...
- No auto thrusters on the A wing prototype pilot...
- Don't know how this list would fare against the much feared Triple Toilet Seater list...
- I could dump the tactical jammer on the VCX-100 to have a total of 99pts, so I could pass the initiative towards the opponent to make sure Jake moves last.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another alternative to prevent the triple toilet seaters from target locking my ships, is to have another A wing blocker in there, maybe... I do like A-wings though, so I wouldn't mind :)

So, which of these list would you guys prefer?
Momentarily I'm tending toward the (more balanced) first list, although I really like the dual A wing setup. And Jake is such a fun pilot to fly.

Thanks!

Brupl

I don't have much to say other than that Jake can be a good ace hunter, but only if he has proton rockets.  That puts him at 33 points, so harder to work into some lists, but its pretty effective (especially if you have a blocker in the list to help get him in range 1 against any of the higher PS aces).

More leaning towards the first list then, thinking about losing the Tactical Jammer and the auto thrusters on the A-wing to swap the Z95 for an extra (thrusterless) A-wing. Quite versatile/annoying and I like the extra evade die and improved manoeuvrability.

Question is, do I need the extra blocker if I already have a controller in my team?

Also liking the extremely manoeuvrable VCX. That 5K-turn is amazing, especially when paired with Hera...

HAMMER PS4
VCX-100 Chopper: 45 Pts
Fire Control System (no actions needed to acquire target locks, stress doesn't hurt me as much)
Hera Syndulla (so I can manoever freely, stress doesn't hurt my manoeuvring abilities)

=> extremely manoeuvrable ship that doesn't suffer (much) from stress or from asteroids.

BLOCKER PS1
Chardaan refit

BLOCKER PS1
Chardaan refit

CONTROLLER PS2
Y-wing Gold Squadron Pilot: 26 Pts

Twin Laser Turret
BTL-A4 Title
R3-A2

I like the Jake list. Ive been thinking up 4 ship builds with VCX myself. Perhaps drop Chops to Lothal, lose tactical jammer, then either lose dash for chops crew or else drop awing to z95 filler, then Jake can have prockets.

Use 3 debris instead, then you only have to watch out for 3 opponents asteroids. Place asteroids in corners, that will alleviate the loss of Dash a little.

I like the Jake list. Ive been thinking up 4 ship builds with VCX myself. Perhaps drop Chops to Lothal, lose tactical jammer, then either lose dash for chops crew or else drop awing to z95 filler, then Jake can have prockets.

Use 3 debris instead, then you only have to watch out for 3 opponents asteroids. Place asteroids in corners, that will alleviate the loss of Dash a little.

The initial reason I put Chopper in there was because of the triple toilet seater list at PS3.

BUT since they just have to focus instead of locking a target (because of Deadeye), this is indeed a 'waste' of points (still, the stress bump is a nice feat to have on a big and manoeuvrable ship like this). Tactical jammer was filler so it's gone, gone, gone.

So: Lothal Rebel without Tactical Jammer it is! Thanks, Wurms!

About losing Dash: He really is a powerful combo with Hera... I've played 2 matches where the 5k on an asteroid with a previous target lock from FCS made a big difference. Also: this makes the ship/list feel like a bit more atypical/custom.

How do you feel about the Auto Blaster Turret on the VCX?

How many times would I use it if my manoeuvre dial is broadened up with Dash, Hera and FCS?

Or is the threat towards the aces big enough to see this as a solid 2-point investment?

It would be the first time I'd run this turret on the VCX: luckily (or unfortunately) my previous matches were not against the highly manoeuvrable aces, so my experience with it is non-existing.

The worst enemies out there now, are the triple toilet seater and the aces, so I really need a build that can handle both...

As are we all, of course :)

Regards.

I played with dash too, but if you can choose debris fields instead of asteroids, it's better. Dash is great, but if you can get Erza for example in, it's better. :)

I haven't played this list at a tournament yet (that will change later this month) but I've won 5 matches with this dual VCX build so far (no loses) in casual play at my local store and I think it might turn into one of the more competive VCX builds:

"Dirty Doubles"

2 Lothal Rebels with Accuracy Corrector and Autoblaster Turret. Give the Ghost title card to one and Anti-pursuit Lasers to the other one.

1 Zeb Attack Shuttle with Phantom title card.

100 points total.

Start the match by moving the ship with anti-pursuit lasers (the VCX without the docked Phantom) out in front of the Ghost with the Phantom docked. Keep the twins close but try not to bump. Take evade tokens for every action ... always. Try to move the ships into a position where both VCX's can fire a 4-dice primary for the first combat phase that you and the enemy are in range, then move the lead VCX into position to block enemy ships and cause them to risk damage with anti-pursuit lasers. Use autoblaster turret and accuracy corrector for unavoidable damage whenever possible. Try to pre-plan your moves with the Ghost so that it has a shot with the 4-dice primary out the front or rear arcs (since it's the Ghost) and try to stay within range 1 so the Ghost can fire a second attack with autoblaster turret and accuracy corrector.

In the 5 casual play matches I've used this list the enemy focuses fire on the first VCX with anti-pursuit lasers because it is the closest ship, it has a slightly higher point value, and it keeps getting in the way causing damage from APL. In most of the matches the lead VCX gets killed but it has survived a few times. The Ghost and phantom have survived every time so far.

32 hit points (actually 36 if you count the docked phantom) is a lot of shields and hull for enemies to have to burn through ... particularly if they are taking hits from two 4-dice primaries (5 dice each at range 1) and unavoidable damage from autoblaster turrets.

Buddy of mine plays it like this:

VCX: Chopper - 37
Zeb - 1

Stress Hog - 26

Poe Dam - 31
AT - 2

R5-P9 - 3

It is devastating. No one in our club can currently counter it. I've seen him take on Scum Aces, Dual Sprays, TLT-Y-Spam, Imp Aces and he went up against a mixed half hunter half scum ace list and decimated it. He is currently undefeated. I am not sure how it would hold up against a full hunter list, but I imagine it would fare better than most. 

Edit: Also talked to one of my other guys says he got destroyed and he was playing TIE Swarm

Edited by Obsidian Leader

The initial reason I put Chopper in there was because of the triple toilet seater list at PS3.

BUT since they just have to focus instead of locking a target (because of Deadeye), this is indeed a 'waste' of points (still, the stress bump is a nice feat to have on a big and manoeuvrable ship like this). Tactical jammer was filler so it's gone, gone, gone.

So: Lothal Rebel without Tactical Jammer it is! Thanks, Wurms!

About losing Dash: He really is a powerful combo with Hera... I've played 2 matches where the 5k on an asteroid with a previous target lock from FCS made a big difference. Also: this makes the ship/list feel like a bit more atypical/custom.

How do you feel about the Auto Blaster Turret on the VCX?

How many times would I use it if my manoeuvre dial is broadened up with Dash, Hera and FCS?

Or is the threat towards the aces big enough to see this as a solid 2-point investment?

It would be the first time I'd run this turret on the VCX: luckily (or unfortunately) my previous matches were not against the highly manoeuvrable aces, so my experience with it is non-existing.

The worst enemies out there now, are the triple toilet seater and the aces, so I really need a build that can handle both...

As are we all, of course :)

Regards.

I like ABT on my ghost builds if I can afford it. Every time I have flown my Ghost, ive had ABT or Ion Turret, and used them both a couple times each game. Its just a comfort blanket for me. Not essential, especially with Hera and 5K turn every round if ya want.

Buddy of mine plays it like this:

VCX: Chopper - 37

Zeb - 1

Stress Hog - 26

Poe Dam - 31

AT - 2

R5-P9 - 3

It is devastating. No one in our club can currently counter it. I've seen him take on Scum Aces, Dual Sprays, TLT-Y-Spam, Imp Aces and he went up against a mixed half hunter half scum ace list and decimated it. He is currently undefeated. I am not sure how it would hold up against a full hunter list, but I imagine it would fare better than most. 

Very interesting list. Maybe can downgrade Chopper to Lothan and get Hera crew in :) But maybe chopper better :)