Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

Pack your bags, you`re going to Miramar(your best30pt. non unique small base)

"Don't Touch This" TIE Shuttle above, or every other ship with Lone Wolf would be insane if not for the unique upgrades ban, phew - good call!
But then again, Rebels got the short end of the stick with all the fun Astros being named... makes me sad.

I was about to say that this is a great idea, but I'd rather have this played with at least 2x30 point ships, or something along these lines.

1vs1 is going to pump the already disgrunting random dice factor of X-wing thru the roof.

For a quick party game, that's actually quite nice, tho. Get a couple quick rounds with friends, chuckle at some all-blanks rolls and some such.

Hell, why not introduce random asteroid movement, all versus all mode, team "capture the flag", etc. to make it even more crazy!*

Anyway, my try at this (even tho simple math says x7 Onyx is just unbeatable endgame stuff within the OT limitations):

Green Squadron Pilot (19)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Push the Limit (3)

Cool Hand (1)

Autothrusters (2)
Homing Missiles (5)

Total: 30 pts

*I'm totally patenting a Gorka Morka/Mad Max kind of deathrace scenario!

Edited by Mef82

I say you try and make this a 2v2 or 3v3 format that way it doesn't devolve into just K-Turning repeatedly. It also seems much more fun with teamwork involved.

Or have it as a 90 point format where you run three non-unique ships with no unique upgrades, all of which are 30 points, only internal faction restrictions, can't use the same upgrade twice.

Or this. Forcing no same upgrade twice would also prevent you from just power gaming and putting down 3 X7 Defenders or 3x TLT Warden. Maybe also force no doubling up of pilots too?

T-70 X-Wing with R5-P9 and Autothrusters, reporting for duty.

This is why we ban unique upgrades, this way we don't just have a bunch of, 'lol I have Poe at PS 4' players ruining the format.

The idea is to force genericwing to happen, but with none of the 'welp, this is a good 25 points I'll just use 4 of these' basic squad building, while also not allowing power cards that normally dominate the regular game.

You'd basically be playing the most fun variant of the game possible. PS is important but not the be all end all, not many turrets, no hyper damage mitigation, and even no bland spam wing.

You have a Shadow Squadron Phantom with stygium and Intel agent, a Punisher with some ordnance, and a TAP. I have a T-70 with some torpedoes and squad leader (one of the unique upgrades I suggest we make an exception for) and a K-Wing with some bombs and an A-Wing.

That seems like a lot of fun and flying should matter a lot.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

Same board.

It can almost be done as many players as can fit around a 3x3.

Good for team play.

I haven't thought much about the crew/ upgrade options. I think being generic pilots does a couple things...

Your making YOUR own ace.... Not a soontir fel or a guri or whatever.

This is why you also have to give it a call sign.....Ace up your generic.

As someone still learning the game I find it interesting that at this point level there are not too many options for the Imperials. It seems the Imperials want their generics to be cheaper and aces come just a little too expensive. Does this seem accurate or am I imagining it?Although my first thought was the Red Vet load out listed by others above, I would also consider the standard Omega Lead, Juke, Comm Relay.It just seems that giving up 4 pts. is quite a bit.

Not giving up 4 points at all...that's 4 to beef up with...

Autothrusters....shield upgrade....engine maybe...etc etc.

But it gets better...omega leader is a unique so he can't be used...so if the FO is the choice...generic up,save points and more upgrades.

As someone still learning the game I find it interesting that at this point level there are not too many options for the Imperials. It seems the Imperials want their generics to be cheaper and aces come just a little too expensive. Does this seem accurate or am I imagining it?Although my first thought was the Red Vet load out listed by others above, I would also consider the standard Omega Lead, Juke, Comm Relay.It just seems that giving up 4 pts. is quite a bit.

Not giving up 4 points at all...that's 4 to beef up with...

Autothrusters....shield upgrade....engine maybe...etc etc.

But it gets better...omega leader is a unique so he can't be used...so if the FO is the choice...generic up,save points and more upgrades.

Told ya I didn't know what I was doing.

PS is important but not the be all end all

I don't know about that. You are still in binary pilot skill mode as far as I can see. You can either out-PS a Royal Guard /in or you've little or no interest in PS. All you've really done is moved the break point from 9 to 6. I'd actually say you have more variety in the full game as you have the whole mid-level generics to get in before Wolfpack Jumpmasters and low-ish but over PS 1 to beat out TLTs tiers that don't really exist here. Well, the TLT tier might but a single TLT is not going to scare agile multi-action ships with Autothrusters the way a bunch of them that can strip tokens do at 100pts

Now, if we're going with a complete ban on unique upgrades, at 30 points.... I'm either going with a Royal Guard (Fel Build, or Lone Wolf + Initiative rather than PTL), or a Green Squaddie, with PTL, Wired, Autothrusters, and a missile?

I don't know. 30 is too many points for most generic defense-builds, and too few for generic combos.

Omega Leader, juke, coms relay and shield (or hull for an initiative bid)

Edit: call sign "You can't touch this"

I don't think that Omega Leader would do very well in a format with multiple players flying a single ship. He's too much of a threat one on one and he's not particularly tough if he doesn't have you target locked. Also depending on how many people are playing you may not have a first round with a useless action to charge up your Comms Relay.

Now, if we're going with a complete ban on unique upgrades, at 30 points.... I'm either going with a Royal Guard (Fel Build, or Lone Wolf + Initiative rather than PTL), or a Green Squaddie, with PTL, Wired, Autothrusters, and a missile?

I don't know. 30 is too many points for most generic defense-builds, and too few for generic combos.

A PTL Wired Green with Autothrusters and Proton Rocket is a solid call. He's super annoying to shoot at and outside of the Proton Rocket doesn't push out a ton of damage. Hang on to the Proton Rocket for as long as you can and if you can get to the final two you'll have a solid chance against anything that's left.

I don't know about that. You are still in binary pilot skill mode as far as I can see. You can either out-PS a Royal Guard /in or you've little or no interest in PS. All you've really done is moved the break point from 9 to 6. I'd actually say you have more variety in the full game as you have the whole mid-level generics to get in before Wolfpack Jumpmasters and low-ish but over PS 1 to beat out TLTs tiers that don't really exist here. Well, the TLT tier might but a single TLT is not going to scare agile multi-action ships with Autothrusters the way a bunch of them that can strip tokens do at 100pts
Yes, but a Royal Guard that PtL's to boost and barrel roll doesn't get a focus token after it. Assuming he doesn't trigger autothrusters he's as esy to kill as a TIE then.

In order to arc dodge you have to give up offense/defense.

A 'Fel' loaded out Royal Guard is tolerable. You can also get a Shadow Squadron with Stygium and Intel agent, or Green Squadrons with Prockets.

Games may have a focus on arc dodging, but unlike when you face a Fel if your opponent doesn't successfully arc dodge, he's done ******. There will be more of an an emphasis on actual player skill and not just 2 hard turning and dice modding your way through things.

You can get a Black Eight Squadron Punisher with LRS/Guidance Chips, Extra Munitions, and Homing Missiles for 30 points. If you play conservatively and keep it back you can cover a wide area with it. If you go down to Cutlass Squadron you can fit FCS and Cluster Missiles in. Or a Dagger Squadron with Proton Torpedoes and EM and chips.

The PS race is less important with no Acewings in it. If the best Acewing you can make in this format is a PtL Autothrusters Stealth Device Royal Guard, then fine. Seems balanced.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

Don't go to Miramar without a wingman!

Black Sun Ace (x2)

Attanni Mindlink 

Hot Shot

Thread Tracers

Munitions Failsafe (it does have a use now!)

58 pts with a 2pt initiative bid 

I think the format is better with two ships (30pts max per ship), would keep Lone Wolf use down a bit and fits the type of training at Miramar. I would almost be more worried about Defenders with title than I would be of interceptors, but I do feel that this format would be more fun and bring a lot more diversity to the table.

I see a lot of Green Squadron but nothing like this one:

Green Squadron Pilot

A-Wing Test Pilot

Rage

Veteran Instincts

Proton Rockets

Guidance Chips

Call Sign: Bonzai

A 5 die procket attack with guaranteed 3 re-rolls + chimps + focus to modify, with potential TL as well. The dial can handle the double stress from rage as you bug out and regroup.

Yes, but a Royal Guard that PtL's to boost and barrel roll doesn't get a focus token after it. Assuming he doesn't trigger autothrusters he's as esy to kill as a TIE then.

In order to arc dodge you have to give up offense/defense.

A 'Fel' loaded out Royal Guard is tolerable. You can also get a Shadow Squadron with Stygium and Intel agent, or Green Squadrons with Prockets.

Games may have a focus on arc dodging, but unlike when you face a Fel if your opponent doesn't successfully arc dodge, he's done ******. There will be more of an an emphasis on actual player skill and not just 2 hard turning and dice modding your way through things.

You can get a Black Eight Squadron Punisher with LRS/Guidance Chips, Extra Munitions, and Homing Missiles for 30 points. If you play conservatively and keep it back you can cover a wide area with it. If you go down to Cutlass Squadron you can fit FCS and Cluster Missiles in. Or a Dagger Squadron with Proton Torpedoes and EM and chips.

The PS race is less important with no Acewings in it. If the best Acewing you can make in this format is a PtL Autothrusters Stealth Device Royal Guard, then fine. Seems balanced.

"As easy to kill as a TIE" ... with 4 Agility and Autothrusters? Not so much.

With all that said, the format as a whole looks extremely promising - I've occasionally run demo/one off "Everyone gets a spaceship" game, and while 32pt Furball has always been fun, for new players there was often just too many rules and exceptions for total newbies to keep track of when you had twenty minutes to teach the rules.

Simplifying it down (and cutting PS options by a third) is likely to be that much easier on everyone. Might fudge the 'nothing unique' here and there, but only in moderation and in the name of good. It's easier when you're statting the squads yourself, of course... ;)

Cheers, dude! This should be a blast.