Sign in to follow this  
Bojanglez

Price changes on CoolStuffInc

I'm guessing this is the Asmodee 4/1 price hike in effect, but CoolStuffInc have raised their prices pretty significantly in the last few weeks.  A Gozanti has gone from $45 to $53, small based ships have gone from $9.49 to $11.29, large ships from $18.99 to $22.49.

Miniature Market still has some "old" pricing (small are $9.89, large are $19.79) but the Gozanti seems to now be also $53, although as I've never bought one from MM, I can't truly compare prices.  Amazon seem to be all over the place - 16% discount on a T-70 ($12.50), 20% on a Y-Wing ($11.99), 30% on large ships ($21.09), 31% on a Gozanti ($48),  

Will be interesting to see if these sites also raise in the next few days.  Are there any other sites you guys use regularly with deep discounts?

Please note:  this is more of an observational thread than anything - not looking to reignite the tear-fest about these changes, just thought I would share with the community.  Also, didn't see this on the first few pages, sorry if this has been posted previously.

I'd imagine that the lower prices will go away as current stocks are run down, with the prices being bumped up upon restock by various resellers to reflect the new more limited discount they can obtain themselves. Older ships, especially less popular ones, will likely stay cheaper for a while at MM and CSI until they need to reorder.

Does anyone know the actual % max discount allowed.

Nearly every major minature company are trying to curb online discounters and promote more parity for Game stores.

They legally can't tell them what to sell ( they can only refuse to sell them product) but I am sure there is an unofficial % discount the manufacturers find acceptable.

It's funny people ganged up on GW when they did this years ago. Now everyone else is worse ( banning retailers instead of restricting online price advertising) and it's more accepted.

I dunno about X-wing stuff, since I don't have anything I was tracking, but I notices a bunch of LotR LCG stuff I had on my wish list went up by an average of $2 per expansion. Which is annoying, because the LGSs around here pretty much don't carry that game.

Just be glad FFG/Asmodee hasn't taken WizKids approach to online retailers, which is to basically to deny them enough product to sell online.

And before you decry the evil internet enterprise for destroying the LGS, many people can't get product at an LGS either because they don't live close to on one or the ones they do refuse to carry the games they want to play (DiceMasters is a great example).

Also, it's worth noting that Amazon is the winner for people who are slaves to such a predicament, as WK has not stopped them from selling their product at MSRP prices PLUS shipping.

Anyway, the point is I will gladly take a 5% hike over the previous 20% discount vs. not being able to buy the product at all because it has been priced out of a market for people who have no other choice.

Does anyone know the actual % max discount allowed.

Nearly every major minature company are trying to curb online discounters and promote more parity for Game stores.

They legally can't tell them what to sell ( they can only refuse to sell them product) but I am sure there is an unofficial % discount the manufacturers find acceptable.

It's funny people ganged up on GW when they did this years ago. Now everyone else is worse ( banning retailers instead of restricting online price advertising) and it's more accepted.

FFG isn't telling retailers how much off they can give their products. What they are doing, is reducing the discount some retailers can get their product. They reason the major online retailers can sell as low as they do, is that they use bulk to make up any profit lost by selling at a higher price. I am assuming the current discounts is based on how much retailers order from FFG. Which is sort of a double whammy for physical stores to compete with the online stores. So what is happening, is that the major online retailers are having to buy their product at higher prices, which means they can't offer the same discount off of MSRP as they used to. 

Just be glad FFG/Asmodee hasn't taken WizKids approach to online retailers, which is to basically to deny them enough product to sell online.

And before you decry the evil internet enterprise for destroying the LGS, many people can't get product at an LGS either because they don't live close to on one or the ones they do refuse to carry the games they want to play (DiceMasters is a great example).

Also, it's worth noting that Amazon is the winner for people who are slaves to such a predicament, as WK has not stopped them from selling their product at MSRP prices PLUS shipping.

Anyway, the point is I will gladly take a 5% hike over the previous 20% discount vs. not being able to buy the product at all because it has been priced out of a market for people who have no other choice.

At the very least, some of Asmodee NA stuff is kicking Diamond/Alliance. One of the companies of Asmodee is getting rid of their Diamond/Alliance exclusivity. Which is great. #@$$ Diamond/Alliance. One of the greatest marks against a Wizkids games (right after Wizkids itself). 

Wiz kids is basically taking same path as privateer press, they are essentially making a ban list fog thier distributors of online retailers who significantly discount.

At this point Games workshop is the least obtrusive manufacturer. They only ban advertising of online sales. You can still call or email an online retailer and still get 25-30% off with free shipping. Most online retailer say look at the products on GW site and reduce the price by 25%.

Wiz kids is basically taking same path as privateer press, they are essentially making a ban list fog thier distributors of online retailers who significantly discount.

At this point Games workshop is the least obtrusive manufacturer. They only ban advertising of online sales. You can still call or email an online retailer and still get 25-30% off with free shipping. Most online retailer say look at the products on GW site and reduce the price by 25%.

With Wizkids, I think it is less about the online products, but rather having quick access to singles upon release. For all of Wizkid's attempts to "put value back into the booster", singles have constantly gone down significantly. I think they are beginning to see it affect the overall product line. More people are buying singles rather than boosters. 

Not many people know, but those discount websites are actually run by distribution companies. Before Asmodee allowed direct purchasing for stores, they could only buy from them. So not only were lgs forced to biy from a competitor, but their collective orders were what allowed the distributors to get such a low margin and sell online so cheap.

Before Asmodee the system was set up to really work against the lgs.

Edited by All Shields Forward

April 1 is, in a well-set up retail business, a good date for the start of their fiscal year. I know in any shop I had the chance to change it to this date, I would. It makes your retail year so much easier to manage. It makes some sense if you're going to adjust your pricing models that you do it on the start of a new fiscal quarter.

My business trip to the US was perfectly timed. I got all 4 epics and doubled up on 4 small base ships from CSI, which shipped today, just before the price change and gets to my hotel a day after I do (next monday). All told, I showed incredible restraint, ships are much more expensive in Canada (carry-on size limits helped).

I do generally buy everything from my FLGS, who fully deserves the friendly part, but the timing of this trip was too awesome to pass up. I just looked it up and it would be $41 more expensive today, or, put another way, I got the 4 small base ships thrown in for $2.

Considering my local scene, the FLGS deserve more patronage, your area may differ, which may suck for you :(

LGSs usually buy from a distributor at MSRP - 40%. That actual percentage will vary by maybe 2 or 3 percent. There's usually an added discount for case lots. No breakdowns, just slap a new shipping label on the box and you're done.

Slugrage is right about April first being a good time to start a fiscal year. Inventory is lower after the holidays which saves on taxes. It's a good time to enact some inventory control procedures. Clean out dead stock, find out what fell behind the racks and generally get the shop in order after the holidays.

A Gozanti has gone from $45 to $53, small based ships have gone from $9.49 to $11.29, large ships from $18.99 to $22.49.

Even after factoring in currency conversion; these prices are still cheaper than what we're paying down here in Australia.  Small ships here are the equivalent to USD18.

Be thankful that you're still getting X-Wing cheaper than the rest of the world.

I wonder how many American companies sell to the rest of the world cheaper than at home. I wouldn't think many. Seems strange that people think this is a weird situation.

I wonder how many American companies sell to the rest of the world cheaper than at home. I wouldn't think many. Seems strange that people think this is a weird situation.

Who said we thought it was weird?  We're just putting it in perspective.  Yes, local US prices have gone up a few dollars.  But it's still much cheaper than what the rest of the world is paying.  So you're lucky.  Appreciate it!

Man, every time I read FFG's writing on this, I feel like I'm having a flash back to 1996, when other brick and mortar stores were just combating online sales. They made the same arguments 2 decades ago. Where are they now?

A Gozanti has gone from $45 to $53, small based ships have gone from $9.49 to $11.29, large ships from $18.99 to $22.49.

Even after factoring in currency conversion; these prices are still cheaper than what we're paying down here in Australia.  Small ships here are the equivalent to USD18.

Be thankful that you're still getting X-Wing cheaper than the rest of the world.

As stated in the original post, this was just an observation but thank you for sharing that lovely chip ensemble you have draped over your shoulder ;)   

Edited by Bojanglez

As stated in the original post, this was just an observation but thank you for sharing that lovely chip ensemble you have draped over your shoulder ;)   

What chip?  I too, was just making an observation.

I second this. Here in NZ i pay $27-$30NZD (I forget.what that is in USD) for the small base ships.

You yanks have it good.

Lucky I just ordered a big pile from them. I wish I had gotten into this game when it came out and bought over time. Trying to catch up now is crazy expensive. Every time I buy a new ship I find out I need new a new card or two, which leads to more purchases...

Unless you're playing tournaments don't buy for cards. Buying a small ship only for a half size piece of cardboard rules text is daft.