Sign in to follow this  
Rasseman83

Paul Heaver stole my list....

So, I've tried some Palp aces builds. But none of them really felt great for me.

Then..... The Inquisitor was fully revealed.

I opened up my listbuilder and composed this wonder:

TIE/FO Fighter: "Omega Leader" (21 + 5)

+ Juke (2)

+ Comm Relay (3)

TIE Adv. Prototype: The Inquisitor (25 + 6)

+ Push the Limit (3)

+ TIE/v 1 (1)

+ Autothrusters (2)

TIE Fighter: "Wampa" (14)

Lambda-class Shuttle: Omicron Group Pilot (21 + 8)

+ Emperor Palpatine (8)

I don't play on vassal so I couldn't test it untill Wave 8 was actually in my hands.

And when I finally got to play my list it was as if the gods of X-wing had descended from the heavens and blessed me with immesurable power.

I stomped rebel regen.

I crushed U-boats.

I murdered Whisper.

I made the Ghost & Phantom cry for mercy.

Next weekend I am taking my list of doom to a store championship here in Sweden. And the geeks shall tremble when they behold my masterpiece!!!

In preparation for this glorious event I browsed youtube for some x-wing games.

And what did I find!?

Three time world champion Paul Heaver was running MY list!

And now everyone will think I ripped it of Heaver........

TL:DR I made a list, Heaver made it too.

I saw it on youtube.

I think it was "invented" by many people at the same time. I've seen it flown for weeks by a lot of people on vassal. It's a natural extension of the train of thought of: ok, here we have a cheap ace that's not invulnerable on its own, so:

1) how does it fit in the palp aces framework

2) what can I do with these 14 points that I have left, that also has synergy with Palpatine if possible: Wampa

I think it was "invented" by many people at the same time. I've seen it flown for weeks by a lot of people on vassal. It's a natural extension of the train of thought of: ok, here we have a cheap ace that's not invulnerable on its own, so:

1) how does it fit in the palp aces framework

2) what can I do with these 14 points that I have left, that also has synergy with Palpatine if possible: Wampa

I'll agree and add that it was an easy jump since we've already seen a very similar build during SC where a VI ATC Vader was in there with the two other ships already.   So, swapping in a 31 point Inquisitor was very natural and not surprising that a lot of people came up with it at the same time.

I had this list (minus whampa) in list builder, but decided to go this season with something different (don't want to buy palpatine.) 

But I don't see how this is especially good against uboots compared to classical imperial aces list? 

What am I overlooking here? The extra ship? 

It's the new version of Palp-Aces with Wampa that has been around for awhile running Vadar with ATC and no EU as the 31 point "ace".  Swapping The Inquisitor with PTL for Vadar allows you to run AutoThursters to help against TLT and turrets but still get 2 actions a turn. 

It's the natural progression of Palp-Aces with Wampa.  Lots of people have come up with this improvement on their own. 

If you are comfortable running a list, then use it.  It doesn't matter if others are running it after seeing it on the Internet.  If you know you came up with it on your own without Net-decking it then see others running, just know you are doing something right in your list building. 

Edit: Ninja'ed

Edited by Spike IT

Thankfully we down't own lists.

Because if that was true the amount of times "my" lists were used...

When it comes to comp choices the variation is still fairly limited (but growing rapidly), and you know what they say about great (and not so great) minds. :P

yeah, I thought up the exact same list when the inquisitor's point cost was made visible in the first wave 8 preview

it's the funny thing about X-wing. While there's a lot of variety, there are some incredibly clear; very powerful combos. For example, I was raving about Deadeye + r4 torpboats before we even knew what G-chips did. After gchips were spoiled, well it didn't take much to put 2 and 2 together.

after all, the Deadeye + r4 interaction was in the FAQ long before the JM5k was spoiled. No surprise it started popping up a lot

For all we know, FFG or the playtester group were the first to come up with a lot of these lists anyway.

It is natural to find a "perfect" setup for certain ships and pilots.  It is also natural to find "perfect" combinations of ships to fly together with the "perfect" setup for each ship.

Palp aces, Brobots, Triple Scouts, Swarms, Quad TLT, etc........

To be fair, Heavers has been running a similar list the whole year. He just swapped out Sonntir Fel for the Inquisitor. Soontir even had PTL and I believe autothrusters.

What else you should run Fel with? Stealth Device and Royal Guard! ;-)

@Ynot not so sure if the QA came up with Quad TLTs already. *grin* 

I bought the TAP to fly the Inqusitor, but now that I have him, I fly all the Dengar lists etc. The Inquisitor is good no doubt, but holds no surprises, he is a Soontir clone pretty much. So I guess my desire to fly him will come after I have tried out more of the new scum stuff that seems a bit more "fresh".

It's won at least 3 store championships (I want to say an Aussie one, California, and Massachusetts).  I think everyone just kind of realized it would be a good list.

And yes, the PS8 thing is definitely a problem.  I can usually handle one PS9+ ace in an opposing list, but when there are multiple, it becomes a lot harder to tie them down.

Yeah I too found myself with a 14 point hole in a palp-aces inquisitor list and decided that Wampa was a nice little addition.

It's not bad, but I'm excited for Imperial Veterans, I've long dreamt of a competitive Defender.