Sign in to follow this  
SmartCookie

Hoth Open reports?

So, anyone know the distribution( Imp, Scum,Rebel) of the cut?

Cut happens after more rounds of Swiss amongst those who accumulated enough wins on day 1 and 2.

I see. Since that result sheet was labeled 'results after Swiss' I thought Swiss was done.

Three more today among those that made it through. Then the cut. Format is explained in the Hoth Open article on the main site.

Got in late last night and had seen this but didn't post it.  Hoping someone else would pick it up... Ha!

CfADSztWQAA_ufh.jpg

Radio TCX@RadioTCXPodcast

Standings after Swiss

Seeing a few more names we know in this list.

14th place should read Ken Hoskins :)

Hmm... as I am not at the event, I don't have a way to take these photos.  Also, as I do not have a login to Tome, I cannot verify it.  Relying on very spotty coverage via Twitter primarily for any news out of the HothOpen...

I think the idea of 3 scouts scared off a lot of stress meta lists, that at 1 dice would be eaten quickly by the Uboats. With that shut down control off the board, aces are free to reign over many lists. I think the days of 1 defence stress hogs are numbered, but the blocking mechanic (see Bumpmaster) is ready to shine.

I think the idea of 3 scouts scared off a lot of stress meta lists, that at 1 dice would be eaten quickly by the Uboats. With that shut down control off the board, aces are free to reign over many lists. I think the days of 1 defence stress hogs are numbered, but the blocking mechanic (see Bumpmaster) is ready to shine.

So rises the StressBlue?

Blue Squadron Novice, R3A2, Integrated Astromech

Tougher than the Y-wing, much more maneuverable, both stressed and unstressed, same price. One stress instead of 2, which obviously matters, but it gives you good anti-ace stuff anyway.

You mean good players continue to be good? But this game is nothing but dice!!

/s

Surprising huh XD

But in all seriousness, the huge number of U-Boat builds is at the same time logical and alarming. The stats behind the squad are indeed very good already. 25 points for the already good statline and more importantly a cheap but efficient equipment combination... This explains why so many good players just jump on the U-Boat train pretty much unquestioned and do well with it on a major event. I believe this is even more than 4YTLT haf in its first events...

I think you should wait until the actual results before declaring the sky is falling. If the top 4 are all running x3 U-boats then yeah sure but they are brand new, fun and a fairly decent list. "Good" players probably realised this and brought a counter to them like Carnor Jax. Very good players have brought a list that both counters the jumpmasters and also does well against Imperial Aces.
I think it's good for the game that U-Boats are (arguably) overpowered. Wave 8 meta is great right now due in part to U-Boats immediately being top tier. We had this before with TLT except triple Jumpmaster is very fun to fly so it doesn't feel like a chore.

Also, Palp Aces players don't have any right to complain about triple U-Boat lol.

Triple Jumpmaster is beatable, you just can't quad TLT or 1 green straight R2-D2 Poe to victory ten times a game anymore. That's not a bad thing.

Lol how is any one build dominating the meta a good meta.

It's not dominating, it's just present. And unlike whisper it has lots of counters.

That's an interesting idea, Bio. I could see it working very well against both Scouts and Aces!

I'm sad no one ran Imperial Kath w/Concussion missiles, Extra munitions and Guidance chips. It's a strong way to either stress and ace or punch a lower agility ship, with Rebel Captive or Tactican for more stress.

The Stresshog is 1 green 8 hp, which means it dies to 2 Torps only if both Torps are 4 hits and he blanks out on both greens. More often than not (the chance of blanking both greens is 40%) this will not be the case. This means it will take a 3rd shot to kill it. 27 points to absorb a rpund of fire (and 2 or 3 Torps) is a pretty good trade in my opinion.

So rises the StressBlue?

Tougher than the Y-wing, much more maneuverable, both stressed and unstressed, same price. One stress instead of 2, which obviously matters, but it gives you good anti-ace stuff anyway.

Unfortunately, I don't think this ship consistently lasts much longer than the stresshog (two hits from a plama are still going to strip all three shields) and has arguably less firepower and control.

It's not dominating, it's just present. And unlike whisper it has lots of counters.

I think we may see a narrowing meta because of the UBoats, though.  Time will tell and I hope I'm wrong, but it's interesting that we're probably seeing a bit less variety in list archetypes.  It's early, so we'll see what regionals brings and it's still a fairly large field remaining for today.

Most of the triple scout lists I have seen are far from optimal I think.

Bumpmaster is really not optimal, or the ones that don't use the amazing new crew, like 4 LOM. This guy is just a reusable crackshot that uses a crew slot instead of ept ... still not showing in many lists.

The best meta call against a strong triple torpedo list is probably Carnor. But only a few people made this (good) choice. For the others, I am really tempted to attribute most of the Triple Scouts vs. Palp Aces losses to suboptimal design (or flying) on the side of the scouts.

/s

Surprising huh XD

But in all seriousness, the huge number of U-Boat builds is at the same time logical and alarming. The stats behind the squad are indeed very good already. 25 points for the already good statline and more importantly a cheap but efficient equipment combination... This explains why so many good players just jump on the U-Boat train pretty much unquestioned and do well with it on a major event. I believe this is even more than 4YTLT haf in its first events...

I think you should wait until the actual results before declaring the sky is falling. If the top 4 are all running x3 U-boats then yeah sure but they are brand new, fun and a fairly decent list. "Good" players probably realised this and brought a counter to them like Carnor Jax. Very good players have brought a list that both counters the jumpmasters and also does well against Imperial Aces.
I think it's good for the game that U-Boats are (arguably) overpowered. Wave 8 meta is great right now due in part to U-Boats immediately being top tier. We had this before with TLT except triple Jumpmaster is very fun to fly so it doesn't feel like a chore.

Also, Palp Aces players don't have any right to complain about triple U-Boat lol.

Triple Jumpmaster is beatable, you just can't quad TLT or 1 green straight R2-D2 Poe to victory ten times a game anymore. That's not a bad thing.

There simply are going to be things that rise to the top and dominate because they're overpowered in this game. That overpowered thing happens to be fun to fly, and encourages weird funky counter builds, and counters some wave 7 NPE top tier stuff like regen and TLT and does decently against Palp Aces.

I'd rather have triple Jumpmaster dominate than Palp Aces or wave 5 Turretwing stuff.

For example, wouldn't something like 35 point Soontir, a Crack Squadron, and 2x Gamma Squadron Bomber each with Homing Missiles, EM, and chips do prety well against U-Boats? What about Redline or Black Eight Squadron or Guardian squadrons loaded up with ordnance?

I'd rather face triple Jumpmaster than quad TLT or a 65 point RAC and Soontir.

The thing about fat turrets dominating was that those lists took no skill and stripped everything out of the game that made it fun. U-Boats take some skill as they function like a suped up large base version of 3x Dagger Squadron, 3x HLC, 3x FCS. It feels like I'm playing actual X-Wing facing them or playing them and not just having someone boost and barrel roll over asteroids with an HLC that's a turret.

/s

Surprising huh XD

There simply are going to be things that rise to the top and dominate because they're overpowered in this game. That overpowered thing happens to be fun to fly, and encourages weird funky counter builds, and counters some wave 7 NPE top tier stuff like regen and TLT and does decently against Palp Aces.

I'd rather have triple Jumpmaster dominate than Palp Aces or wave 5 Turretwing stuff.

For example, wouldn't something like 35 point Soontir, a Crack Squadron, and 2x Gamma Squadron Bomber each with Homing Missiles, EM, and chips do prety well against U-Boats? What about Redline or Black Eight Squadron or Guardian squadrons loaded up with ordnance?

The thing about fat turrets dominating was that those lists took no skill and stripped everything out of the game that made it fun. U-Boats take some skill as they function like a suped up large base version of 3x Dagger Squadron, 3x HLC, 3x FCS. It feels like I'm playing actual X-Wing facing them or playing them and not just having someone boost and barrel roll over asteroids with an HLC that's a turret.

I assume at this point you just copy and paste this stuff?

/s

Surprising huh XD

I assume at this point you just copy and paste this stuff?

Sorry lol.

But people were puzzled why I thought that one list being overpowered is fine even though I have a history of complaining about overpowered things in this game.

I suppose I have been repeating myself somewhat but IDK what you want me to do?

So rises the StressBlue?

I like my PS 4 Red Vet version with Wired for an extra three points, but sure.

/s

Surprising huh XD

Definitely way to early to say it has lots of counters, especially for Rebels. Especially with Imperial aces on the boat.

/s

Surprising huh XD

Definitely way to early to say it has lots of counters, especially for Rebels. Especially with Imperial aces on the boat.

Biggs with R4-D6 and Integrated Astromech.

Guardian Squadrons with Homing Missiles, Extra Munitions, and chips/LRS are 32 points. Add an autoblaster turret for anti-ace.

Lothal Rebels are cheap health. 2x Lothal Rebel, 2x Autoblaster Turret, Biggs with R4-D6 and Integrated Astromech. They spend a torpedo volley killing Biggs and then they have 2 entire Ghosts to deal with.

Rebels can counter them, you just have to think about stuff that's not Poe, Miranda, TLT Gold Squadrons, the Stresshog, or a Fat Turret.