Sign in to follow this  
SmartCookie

Hoth Open reports?

That was an interesting battle! I thought a Carnor Ace list would make meat out of the U-boat list, but he managed to pull it off with some great spreading of his ships and bumping.

A fair amount of luck as well. Getting a big hit on Carnor super early complete with stunned pilot is what really gave him the game.

How the hell would Biggs with R4-D6 and IA with some ABT Lothal Rebels lose hard to Palp Aces? You are aware that autoblaster turret forces regular hits through, even denying evade tokens, right?

Or 3x Guardian Squadron, 3x Homing Missiles, 3x EM, 3x Chips/LRS, 2x Autoblaster turret. You have a chance against Palp Aces.

The Lothal Rebel build could indeed be a counter to triple scouts, sadly it absolutely sucks against most other builds that have an easy time either damaging you for MoV then running away, against which your Lothals can't do a whole lot with no movement and low PS. Palp aces get countered by an autoblaster

ghost/phantom with accuracy corrector or FCS and Hera on the wheel, but your build is very lucky if it even gets shots at the Palpshuttle...

The triple Warden squadron is just a poor copy of the Scouts that tries to do the same thing but does it much much worse. It has worse defense, worse movement options and is generally not a counter to Scouts because it even has worse PS and no Deadeye, so no chance at all to win the Alpha-Strike. Against Aces it will even look poorer! This was never an option!

These 2 builds are just not good enough, and you know that very well. So don't throw this in just to make people that would dare to complain shut up.

Just be honest so we can move on: You don't like Rebels and you are happy that right now it looks as if they lost the few competitive options they had to scouts, and that's all. TLTs, PWTs, shield Regen. All things you where endlessly complaining about and it's no coincidence that these are all pure or at least partially Rebel tactics.

Now i have no idea why or what you have against this faction in a miniature game, but if someone tells me that one apparently overpowered thing in X-Wing is more okay to him than another just because it makes a lot of the competitive choices Rebels had obsolete, i can just shake my head...

I don't actually think Scouts are that OP, but i do think that Rebels have no really good answer to it, and even less do they have an answer to the rest of the meta lists at the same time.

But i am not really worried about it since i know that there will be counters to Scouts that will make them disappear from the meta sooner or later (it's a pretty inflexible statline based spam list and once there is a counter it willbe a hard one), and then the strong Rebel picks that i enjoy playing with and against will return. I have played mostly Palp Aces during the last half year anyway, but i really enjoyed taking out Poe and Miranda and Brobots on some occasions too so i do care about how all factions do!

But then i was not really worried about TLT spam or PWTs either and look what happened!

Edited by ForceM

Almost twice as many Imperials as Rebels and Scum combined :(

But muh rebel bias

EDIT: Speaking of, I know know T-65s made anywhere near top 16, but was there a single list that even included them?

Edited by jimmius

Yeah, I still don't get why some are complaining about U-Boats even though Palp Aces is more powerful.

I get complaining about it in a casual environment, as having a beefy ship removed round 1, possibly another round 2 is a pretty strong NPE but at tournaments it doesn't seem any worse than many other meta-dominating builds.

I think the part that irks a lot of people about the triple U-boats is that it will get just about anybody who plays it very far. They most likely won't win a big event, but the ease that it could take them to the cut of a store championship or regionals is sort of bothersome. Sure, there's other builds that have had the same effect in that sense, but I don't think it's been easier to roll over opponents than it is with the U-boats alpha.

I don't think this will be the case. A bad or unexperienced player will not get 3 large ships in formation through asteroids, will not block effectively, will get arc dodged etc.

Also, it's not like Palp Aces doesn't carry either.

How the hell would Biggs with R4-D6 and IA with some ABT Lothal Rebels lose hard to Palp Aces? You are aware that autoblaster turret forces regular hits through, even denying evade tokens, right?

Or 3x Guardian Squadron, 3x Homing Missiles, 3x EM, 3x Chips/LRS, 2x Autoblaster turret. You have a chance against Palp Aces.

The Lothal Rebel build could indeed be a counter to triple scouts, sadly it absolutely sucks against most other builds that have an easy time either damaging you for MoV then running away, against which your Lothals can't do a whole lot with no movement and low PS. Palp aces get countered by an autoblaster

ghost/phantom with accuracy corrector or FCS and Hera on the wheel, but your build is very lucky if it even gets shots at the Palpshuttle...

The triple Warden squadron is just a poor copy of the Scouts that tries to do the same thing but does it much much worse. It has worse defense, worse movement options and is generally not a counter to Scouts because it even has worse PS and no Deadeye, so no chance at all to win the Alpha-Strike. Against Aces it will even look poorer! This was never an option!

These 2 builds are just not good enough, and you know that very well. So don't throw this in just to make people that would dare to complain shut up.

Just be honest so we can move on: You don't like Rebels and you are happy that right now it looks as if they lost the few competitive options they had to scouts, and that's all. TLTs, PWTs, shield Regen. All things you where endlessly complaining about and it's no coincidence that these are all pure or at least partially Rebel tactics.

Now i have no idea why or what you have against this faction in a miniature game, but if someone tells me that one apparently overpowered thing in X-Wing is more okay to him than another just because it makes a lot of the competitive choices Rebels had obsolete, i can just shake my head...

I don't actually think Scouts are that OP, but i do think that Rebels have no really good answer to it, and even less do they have an answer to the rest of the meta lists at the same time.

But i am not really worried about it since i know that there will be counters to Scouts that will make them disappear from the meta sooner or later (it's a pretty inflexible statline based spam list and once there is a counter it willbe a hard one), and then the strong Rebel picks that i enjoy playing with and against will return. I have played mostly Palp Aces during the last half year anyway, but i really enjoyed taking out Poe and Miranda and Brobots on some occasions too so i do care about how all factions do!

But then i was not really worried about TLT spam or PWTs either and look what happened!

Guardian Squadrons are the PS 4 K-Wings. Wardens are the PS 2 ones. They have primary weapon turrets and equal or better alpha strike than the JM's do, along with SLAM at higher PS.

Lothals have a pretty decent dial and a large base. This means they can move pretty far and a range 1 turret on a large base is pretty good. They're also good blockers.

You're damned right I'm happy Rebels lost fat turrets and Poe and Corran. Good, regen is annoying. Also, before wave 8 came out wasn't everyone pissed that Imperials supposedly weren't as good as Rebels?

Rebels still have plenty of options for squad building, you just can't mindlessly slap together Poe, Miranda, and a Y-Wing and have a top tier squad anymore. Or just put down a fat Falcon and coast to top 8 on easy wins.

Also, before wave 8 came out wasn't everyone pissed that Imperials supposedly weren't as good as Rebels?

Yorr/Whisper/Omega existed prior to Wave 8, so: no. 

Isn't Omega Leader technically wave 8? Right?

Almost twice as many Imperials as Rebels and Scum combined :(

But muh rebel bias

EDIT: Speaking of, I know know T-65s made anywhere near top 16, but was there a single list that even included them?

I think so. IIRC FFG confirmed that'll ships but the Punisher were played on day 2 at some point.

Guardian Squadrons are the PS 4 K-Wings. Wardens are the PS 2 ones. They have primary weapon turrets and equal or better alpha strike than the JM's do, along with SLAM at higher PS.

Lothals have a pretty decent dial and a large base. This means they can move pretty far and a range 1 turret on a large base is pretty good. They're also good blockers.

You're damned right I'm happy Rebels lost fat turrets and Poe and Corran. Good, regen is annoying. Also, before wave 8 came out wasn't everyone pissed that Imperials supposedly weren't as good as Rebels?

Rebels still have plenty of options for squad building, you just can't mindlessly slap together Poe, Miranda, and a Y-Wing and have a top tier squad anymore. Or just put down a fat Falcon and coast to top 8 on easy wins.

Okay even if Guardians shoot first with 3 Homing missiles, chances of them killing one of the Scouts are about 50/50. If the get the necessary TLs. Also look at what you get for the same cost than the scouts. Much less! And even if you slap an Autoblaster turret on them they fold to any mobile and/or Autothruster list where unlike scouts with Deadeye they will never get a shot.

2 Lothals With Biggs is a better idea, but then it's still only a 50/50 against U-Boats and outright bad against anything else in the meta.

But i give you credit for at least trying to come up with something half decent for Rebels at the moment.

Where it gets ridiculous is the part with "mindlessly slapping together" Rebel builds. Empire and Scum can mindlessly slap together lists that are just as good as anything Rebels have. Palpmobile is a copy/paste list seasoned to gusto with options no Rebel player ever had... U-Boat is essentially a spam list. IE you don't need to be the brightest player to do well with any of these lists, you don't need any more skill to build or play these lists than for Rebel lists!

But you are okay with them, but not with any of the competitive Rebel options! If that was only your personal biased opinion nobody would care. But you are one of the most active posters on the forum and you are not doing a service to the game by constantly whining about one faction that was until now pretty well balanced.

I don't know what you gain out of this behaviour, but Do you even realize that every time one faction is in bad shape the overall richness and diversity in the meta gets smaller and this is outright bad for the game as a whole!

It was a trist view when meta got dominated by nothing but Phantoms and Han Solos, and it would be just as bad if now it was only Scouts vs. Palpmobile all the time. We are not there yet though and we need a lot more results to see if this is happening. But it would be really sad to see it happen again!

Imperial and Scum players can continue to mindlessly slap lists together and win in the listbuilding phase of the game. You're simply OK with it because you don't like Rebels having options (for some odd reason)

Edited by algnc

Rebels have options. Really good options, just gotta be smart.

Fat Han w/ homing missile Zs can deal with Aces and Scouts.

Any stress meta control builds shut down aces so hard.

And a Z missile spam right would still clean up.

I hope you find some combo that works for your favourite ship, come nationals, rebels will be present and no real worries will be given to their position in the meta.