Sign in to follow this  
SmartCookie

Hoth Open reports?

Yeah, I still don't get why some are complaining about U-Boats even though Palp Aces is more powerful.

I get complaining about it in a casual environment, as having a beefy ship removed round 1, possibly another round 2 is a pretty strong NPE but at tournaments it doesn't seem any worse than many other meta-dominating builds.

Seems like Rebels have suffered a lot more from the Jumpmaster invasion than Imperials. Interesting to hear how many of those Palp lists are running carnor jax instead of soontir. 

A lot of Rebel ships are high health/low agility with ferw native repositioning options, which can potentially suffer a lot from the U-Boat's alphastriking shenanigans.

At least one of the photos on the FFG Organised Play account showed Kihraxz in play - I'd like to know what that list is and how it's getting on!

Was that sozin win (congrats on the win!) the last round of swiss, or second to last? My mom was visiting and she watched the game with my sons, it was a very neat introduction to X-wing for her, X-wing is multigenerational.

The attitude of the person who lost deserves to be recognized as well, what a great way to take a loss due to horrible green dice. Playing and having fun matters above all :)

I have no additional confirmation yet, but a reliable source has told me the top tables are drawing and all 7-2's are out. Grats, our tournament scene just turned into Magic.

It's unavoidable due to the size of the event.

Not all of the 7-2s were out. Some made it in based on MoV, but how MoV was calculated is VERY unclear.... the FFG sheet is showing people with 400-700 MoV. That doesn't even make any sense based on either 3 rounds, 6 rounds, or 9 rounds. There are 3 people with 36 points, so it looks like one table might have drawn to get in, or else those people all had multiple modified wins.

[edit]: Jeremy Howard informed me that everyone started out with 150 MoV today. That explains it.

Edited by MajorJuggler

Yeah, I still don't get why some are complaining about U-Boats even though Palp Aces is more powerful.

I get complaining about it in a casual environment, as having a beefy ship removed round 1, possibly another round 2 is a pretty strong NPE but at tournaments it doesn't seem any worse than many other meta-dominating builds.

I think the part that irks a lot of people about the triple U-boats is that it will get just about anybody who plays it very far. They most likely won't win a big event, but the ease that it could take them to the cut of a store championship or regionals is sort of bothersome. Sure, there's other builds that have had the same effect in that sense, but I don't think it's been easier to roll over opponents than it is with the U-boats alpha.

Not all of the 7-2s were out. Some made it in based on MoV, but how MoV was calculated is VERY unclear.... the FFG sheet is showing people with 400-700 MoV. That doesn't even make any sense based on either 3 rounds, 6 rounds, or 9 rounds. There are 3 people with 36 points, so it looks like one table might have drawn to get in, or else those people all had multiple modified wins.

They only carried over tournament points, not MOV. The ID probably knocked out one 7-2, he could have still been knocked out by MOV if the game had been played.

If there was an ID, it was 2 out of 3 of Nathan Eide, Zach Bunn, and [edit] Brad Miller. The MoV for each of these players is low enough that the loser would have not made the cut in place of a different 7-2 player. Of course we still don't know if they all simply had 2 modified wins, or if there was an intentional draw.

Edited by MajorJuggler

If there was an ID, it was 2 out of 3 of Nathan Eide, Zach Bunn, and [edit] Brad Miller. The MoV for each of these players is low enough that the loser would have not made the cut in place of a different 7-2 player. Of course we still don't know if they all simply had 2 modified wins, or if there was an intentional draw.

I'm at the event now, it was Nathan and Brad. Nathan could have knocked him out with a loss with 41 MOV points or more. Brad would not have made it with any loss. Edited by R2whistler

I'm at the event now, it was Nathan and Brad. Nathan could have knocked him out with a loss with 41 MOV points or more.

It's up to you to get the Top 8 lists!  :)

Edited by MajorJuggler

I'm at the event now, it was Nathan and Brad. Nathan could have knocked him out with a loss with 41 MOV points or more.

So much phone typing! I'll work on it.

I'll be honest, this intentional draw this game isn't bothering me. If you're in a position to use it, you won your early games, which means you played harder opponents, on average. A little reward for that seems cool.

Agreed. I've seen a number of tourneys where the top seeds play in the last round and one person is eliminated from the cut due to a tough loss, that shouldn't be your reward for playing well all day.

I think the part that irks a lot of people about the triple U-boats is that it will get just about anybody who plays it very far. They most likely won't win a big event, but the ease that it could take them to the cut of a store championship or regionals is sort of bothersome. Sure, there's other builds that have had the same effect in that sense, but I don't think it's been easier to roll over opponents than it is with the U-boats alpha.

I don't think this will be the case. A bad or unexperienced player will not get 3 large ships in formation through asteroids, will not block effectively, will get arc dodged etc.

Nevermind they just got posted to NOVA facebook! I'm pulling them in now here:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/215832-2016-system-open-series-results/#entry2143248