Sign in to follow this  
Necrozius

Fan-made collaborative projects?

I was just wondering... Has it ever happened that several members of the FFG community pooled their resources together and produced a campaign book?

Seriously, there's a lot of talent here. Imagine the possibilities.

Also, if any of you recall, in the old school WFRP books, there were two sets of stats, both for the RPG and for the Battle game. I believe that some Call of Cthulhu RPG books did something similar (d20 and Chaosium percentiles for monster and NPC stats). So there' a possibility of having this project done for both editions of WFRP.

Would anyone here honestly be interested in doing such a thing?

I'm not a professional writer or anything, but as an artist I like to believe that I've got a pretty decent imagination. I'd be willing to contribute both ideas and artwork for such a project.

Has something similar been done before here?

YES! I would definitely be interested in doing something like that.

I could contribute with the ideas; I know nearly everything about the Warhammer universe. I could help with some of the writing of some stuff too. (I have a great imiganation=)

I think this idea has definite potential.

I dont know if its specifically FFG posters/members but I know a couple of fan source books have been done, such as the Tilean project (which I believe is still being finalised though a preview has been given) and 'DA Green Role-play' (greenskin WFRP).

Likewise there is the Liber Fanatica series as well, while not source books per say, they are a collection of fan rules and options.

I think our best bet would be to write and publish some free adventures. The source material will find it's way to print some way or another, inevitably making whatever we do obsolete. Well thought out, carefully designed, fun adventures are always the hardest thing to find for any RPG, and if we were to make some kind of project, my vote would be for an adventure.

Also, with adventures you get the benefit of being able to make some custom content for that adventure, so really it is the best of both worlds.

zmobie said:

I think our best bet would be to write and publish some free adventures. The source material will find it's way to print some way or another, inevitably making whatever we do obsolete. Well thought out, carefully designed, fun adventures are always the hardest thing to find for any RPG, and if we were to make some kind of project, my vote would be for an adventure.

Also, with adventures you get the benefit of being able to make some custom content for that adventure, so really it is the best of both worlds.

Yeah that's more along the lines of what I was thinking about.

Yes, good adventures are hard to come by.

Someone here mentioned that they wanted to write up a scenario involving the Von Carsteins. Are there already any famous published campaigns involving vampires and their ilk?

Necrozius said:

I'm not a professional writer or anything, but as an artist I like to believe that I've got a pretty decent imagination. I'd be willing to contribute both ideas and artwork for such a project.

Personally I would hold off the little adventures because there are over a hundred v1 and v2 scenarios already available for download and in addition I suspect that FFG will run a scenario contest in the near future, which if as successful as BI's contests will produce fifty odd scenarios.

A big campaign could be an option or sourcebooks would be other good choices.

I would also avoid supplements in the vein of the Realms of Sorcery, Tome of Salvation and the Tome of Corruption, because as major features of warhammer that have largely been left out of the Core Set they are likely candidates as early supplements.

Foolishboy said:

Personally I would hold off the little adventures because there are over a hundred v1 and v2 scenarios already available for download and in addition I suspect that FFG will run a scenario contest in the near future, which if as successful as BI's contests will produce fifty odd scenarios.

A big campaign could be an option or sourcebooks would be other good choices.

Yeah, I'm aware that there are contests and what have you, but it might be interesting to get a few people together and create something as a group.

Like, one or two people who are talented as creative writers could handle the fluff descriptions.

Others who like writing up history and background could tackle that.

A handful of artists could prepare visuals (npc portraits, maps, etc...)

A desktop publisher could put it all together in Adobe Acrobat.

Anyway, such a project obviously wouldn't qualify for the FFG official contests. But it sure would be fun to do this anyway.

And like I said, the npc and monster stats could be presented in both 2nd edition and 3rd edition variants. So it could be quickly used by either types of GMs who don't want to convert everything themselves.

Yeah, essentially, a campaign book made by the community.

I would definitly help in everyway I can for this.

I think a good adventure would be somehing in the location of Lustria. There would be a lot of possibilities in a area like that. A campaign could be about some raiders invading a inhabited by Lizardmen and theie journey through the jungle temple or something.

Necrozius said:

Someone here mentioned that they wanted to write up a scenario involving the Von Carsteins. Are there already any famous published campaigns involving vampires and their ilk?

I don't know how famous it is, but the Thousand Thrones campaign for v2 includes numerous vampires, and the fan-made TTT Expansions are elaborating upon the vampire-related plots (all major bloodlines) in exhaustive detail. However, it's a long-term project, and it probably wouldn't be very useful to v3 players anyway.

facepalm said:

I think a good adventure would be somehing in the location of Lustria. There would be a lot of possibilities in a area like that. A campaign could be about some raiders invading a inhabited by Lizardmen and theie journey through the jungle temple or something.

I like this idea a lot. Aztec and Mayan temples can be quite creepy.

Plus, Skaven are somehow involved, correct?

Necrozius said:

FYI, morksittar is currently working on a Lustria campaign:

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

Perhaps we could propose something to him?

I'd be happy to contribute where I can, though the one I'm building now is Southlands-oriented.  Close enough, and it draws more on Howard's Conan and Solomon Kane stories juxtaposed with Aztec and Mayan elements (as the Lizardmen and Slann colonized the deeper jungles of the Southlands).

I do love the overall idea of a Lizardmen-based exploratory game, or at least story arc.  Limited time and all, but I can certainly offer feedback and continue to post campaign notes.

One bit I've always been curious about concerning both Lustria and the Southlands; we've seen hints of human tribes and nations in both, but never a whole lot of detail.  I'd love to flesh out Warhammer versions of cultures in those areas.

Necrozius said:

Have any of you read the Warhammer novel "Burning Shores"?

Could be very good for a Lustrian campaign.

And of course Roysten Crow wrote his campaign for Lustria that could provide some ideas.

I have a full (liscensed) version of Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional. 

I would be happy to help with the layout and all that of whatever you come up with and make the ubiquitous pdf out of it as well. 

morskittar said:

Necrozius said:

I'd be happy to contribute where I can, though the one I'm building now is Southlands-oriented.  Close enough, and it draws more on Howard's Conan and Solomon Kane stories juxtaposed with Aztec and Mayan elements (as the Lizardmen and Slann colonized the deeper jungles of the Southlands).

I do love the overall idea of a Lizardmen-based exploratory game, or at least story arc.  Limited time and all, but I can certainly offer feedback and continue to post campaign notes.

One bit I've always been curious about concerning both Lustria and the Southlands; we've seen hints of human tribes and nations in both, but never a whole lot of detail.  I'd love to flesh out Warhammer versions of cultures in those areas.

But aren`t lustria and the Southlands two different continents, Lustria being like South america, and the Southland being like africa? or is my memory bad here? 

ah my mistake the lizardmen and slann have colonized the jungles as you said. hmm no real use of posting this than.

about the topic of human tribes of these continents, you can draw inspiration from the real world, like zhulu empire of South Africa, and the dreaded leopard men of kongo, a real assassin cult that persisted long into the 1930s. Maybe draw a twist and say that the leopard cult is degenerated elfs or dark elfs that long ago where left behind, and have builded there own society based on dread and random/sacrificial killing. The real leopard cult of kongo was a result of the oppressive rules by the belgians. but it got out of control, and everyone not associated with the cult where a possible target. I have heard rumors that the leopard cult have been revived recently in the civil war in kongo, but again they are just rumours. 

morskittar said:

That is my idea for another campaign that i mentioned here earlier. I to like the idea of Lustria and the lizardmen. The other campaign idea I had in mind is this:

The location would be set in Port Reaver (actual town in Lustria, i have the book.) It would start off with people missing and geting sick, (ya i know it has probaly been used before) people are getting worried, so they get a band of people together to figure out what they can. The players would have to go to the families of the people that are miising and try to be friendly or bribe for any information. Witnesses say that before the incidents there were voices out side their doors, but they could not understand the launguage and it seemed to have a dark tone to it. After putting together some information and maybe witnessing something wierd themselves they manage to figure out that they are not human, the are the Dark Elves, and it seems as though they are preparing for a grand sacrifice. The next night the Dark Elves strike again, a group of Witch 
Elves break into a house and all the heroes and some local guards defend the would be victims.

The players are then sent out to try to sabatuoge the sacrifice, and to free the prisnors, which there are a lot of. Only hours before the sacrifice a drum is heard in the distance. the Dark Elves prepare themselves. After a few moments everything gows quite. Then a ambush attacks the dark elves, the ambush is a group of Lizardmen trying to free their lands from the DarElves. Now the heroes are stuck right in the middle of a crossfire. The Dark Elves are out numbered but fight anyway for a distraction for the sacrifice to finish. (they do not stop the sacrifice because they do not want to displease their god) So the heroes have to hurry to save the prisnors before they are sacrificed, so there would be a time limit of sorts, fighting both enemies along the way.

After freeing the prisnors, or as much they could anyway, tthe start to head back to town, but the Lizardmen won the battle and would not let the humans get away so easily. The players then get in a fight with a few remaining Lizardmen that managed to catch up with them. After killing the Lizardmen a large shadow come out of the swamp, a giant kroxigor with some skinks then atack. After that the heroes get back to town, and get payed for each prisoner they saved. (prisoners could die in combat to).

That is all i have, still king of rough but i think it has some interesting twists.

Necrozius said:

facepalm said:

I like this idea a lot. Aztec and Mayan temples can be quite creepy.

Plus, Skaven are somehow involved, correct?

Yes the Skaven are definitley involved.

facepalm said:

Yes the Skaven are definitley involved.

Clan Pestilens has residual colonies in Lustria, and have begun to recolonize in recent years.  The Southlands (as far as I remember) are much less documented, though various skaven publications have mentioned Pestilens overruning Warlord clans and Slann ruins there as well. 

I imagine there would be a notable, but not huge, Pestilens contingent in both Lustria and the Southlands, with a smattering of minor Warlord clans in the latter.  The Southlands would also, of course, sport plenty of sun-addled Savage Orcs along with the local human population.

Just so you guys know, I am totally going to farm ideas from you for my campaign.  I will be make sure to post accounts and adventure ideas up in the Gamemasters forum.

morskittar said:

Just so you guys know, I am totally going to farm ideas from you for my campaign.  I will be make sure to post accounts and adventure ideas up in the Gamemasters forum.

Feel free to take my concepts, but because i though of these i know i cannot do anything so it would be appreciated for you not taking everything, or at least credit me for my work. only reason i say this beacause i like those ideas a lot and they are mine. Thanks (sorry for grammar)