Sign in to follow this  
Roxas_Lawliet

Three ways to be a better player.

Hello community,

I revised my original guide from the old forums into two parts one is how to be a better player and one is how to build a better deck, I will post the other one sometime soon but for now enjoy this.

I have been commented on my knowledge and understanding of the game and I wanted to give a thread that answers any sort of general deck building/playing question.  so without further adue, here are three things that everyone should be practicing while playing this or any other game.

1.) Think for two.  Consider your opponent's actions versus your own and how their actions, whether it be placing dark cards and challenging you, or clearing dark cards and moving or some mixture of those four. Your opponent's strategy will change how you play the game.  You need to think both what  would be best for you and what would be the ideal situation for your opponent and be able to shape the match in your favor while considering what your opponent will have in store for you. Read your opponent.

2.) Know what options are available.  Knowing what you still have up your sleeve is crucial to any player and should constantly be in your mind when playing.  Knowing your deck, the match-up (your opponent's deck) and looking through the (your and your opponent's) discard piles are all ways you can be on top of what you have left in your deck.  Knowing what is available to you will dictate the usage of certain cards in your deck such as Chip and Dale, The King, Destiny Islands and other Search cards to their maximum potential.  Knowing what options you have as well as knowing what options your opponent has will be a key factor on whether or not you should Battle or Challenge that turn.  Just because you have soul eater in your hand doesn't mean you should challenge that turn and, just because your a World Racer doesn't mean you shouldn't challenge. This is often a tough decision as killing their friends can be worth losing two hp and in other circumstances, taking two hp can be worth saving your friend cards in play.  Yes I said WR should challenge, why? isn't wasting friends bad, what if they drop a cage or Behemoth on me? This can be answered easily if you know options are available to you and what dark cards your opponent has already used on you. 

As for knowing when to defeat dark cards. Don't just kill the dark cards on your world without first considering a few things. If you have no world to move and they just plop more heartless onto your world during their turn, you've lost board presence against there possible challenge ahead of you. waiting a turn to move could just simply be the smarter choice.  On the hand if they parasite cage a friend card you need in order to defeat the other threats on your world, then it could be worth losing that presence in order to be able to move the next turn.  Knowing what options are available to you will help in making the best plays possible. 

3.) Keep your options open.  After you know what is available to you it's important to keep those avenues open for as long as possible and if those options are closed then have have a direct answer to your problem or you can simply play under the conditions.  To demonstrate what I mean I will use Owl as an example.  Owl states that no player may magic/friends cards at anytime and you need to find to ways to deal with this card in order to survive against a control deck.  A direct answer to this problem would be Tidus, he simply gets Owl off the board and thus the problem is gone and you are free to heal up with Tink.  A direct solution is the best way of getting rid of an issue though is not always possible and you must play under the conditions of the card/s.  Ariel is an example of playing under the coniditions of Owl, she isn't a magic/friend so she isn't gimped by owl but she provides you with the same sort of effect, survival.  Having more than one way to address an issue is something you will need to keep in mind when playing as well as deck designing.  The options you have towards an issue, the less it becomes an issue.

I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it happy.gif

From the top, great work, once again some helpful tips from one of the best in the game.

I completely agree with the importance of tip 3- its something many people (most definitely myself) all fall into the trap of: looking for the quick or obvious fix to the problem. Rather than building your deck to adapt and suit conditions you think you may find yourself fall into (owl lock good example, much like phil/ simba), its much better to run that extra card you may not always expect to be played every turn, but will most definitely come into use when you most need it and your opponent doesn't expect it. Cards like Ariel you mentioned: never mentioned by players as a great counter to the common problems you encounter, but they are more than suitably apt, and also may prove to lead into situations which put your opponent on the backfoot.

Holding out for the next part =]