Sign in to follow this  
rgrove0172

How much is a fortune?

To throw in my two cents:

I just awarded my PCs the generous sum of 150.000 Credits, for doing an under the rader prison transport for the Empire.

The intend was to have the "evil path" provide easy and instant gratification. "No! Not stronger, but easier, more seductive."

I also expected more moral ambiguity from the party, especially since the Smuggler Pilot was from Alderaan and HATES the Empire.

Buuut in the end they took the job and the credits. And that's okay. If you provide it, let them use it.

Of course it's not that easy and they now have to escape the prison complex that is now under siege by spec-ops rebels. Turns out the Empire isn't the only party that wants this prisoner.

Also their ship was shot a whole bunch on the way there, so the upkeep should cut them down a decent amount.

Ultimately my intend is to provide them with a base of operations through this pretty early influx of credits.

Yes, true indeed. However, some items also seem to be off scale. Only 750 credits for a proton torpedo? So a high-yield explosive capable of taking out a starship of modest size is slightly more expensive than a heavy blaster pistol at 700 credits? The same goes for vehicles and starships. I would say a hyperspace capable starship would be quite more expensive than a 'mere' 100.000 credits. Some of our own modern luxury cars cost more than 100.000 dollars, euros, or likewise currency. Tha would be nothing more than a luxury land speeder incapable of lifting off. Now upscale that to airspeeders or even 'flying trucks', as we might call a stock light freighter.

Such low prices also lower what might amount to "a lot". If every starship would have cost at least 500.000 credits, 70.000 credits is still quite an amount of money, but far from the amount needed to buy a new starship. It would then represent not even a fifth of the price. When starships cost between 50.000 and 100.000 credits, that same 70.000 credits can be quite a lot. Enough even to buy a new starship.

I wont disagree with you but what do you propose? We somehow alter the listed prices of everything in the rules? Eeek!

I have been heavily criticized for making some less than admiring comments about some sections of the rules that appear to have suffered from insufficient play testing. It appears this may be another.

The pricing in this game isn't strange due to a lack of playtesting, I guess. In Star Wars D20 Saga, a heavy blaster pistol costs 750 credits, very much comparable to the 700 credits in this system. The YT-1300 Stock Light Freighter costs 100.000 creds in both Edge and Saga. I think that pricing isn't so much changed between systems, but only slightly tweaked, probably because somewhere along the line the prices have been set. There are a couple of surprises, such as Stormtrooper armor costing 8.000 in Saga, and Laminate, the Edge equivalent of Stormtrooper armor, costing only 2.500 credits. That doesn't, of course, help us a single bit with the current problem.

Altering the prices of just about everything in the current line of books? Not really an option, I would with you agree there. The only true suggestion I could make at this time, keeping in mind this is how I would handle it myself, is to be aware of such pricing inconsistencies. They are there, and always have been. Fortunately, every item lists an availability too. And there is also an established expectation. While a TIE Fighter isn't considered very rare, being cheap to produce and having seen them kicked out of star destroyers by the dozens, they aren't available to the general public, and people might frown upon 'just your average Joe' flying around in military restricted starships. So what if they have enough credits to buy a Nebulon-B Frigate? Would they be able to purchase one, when they are not government officials or part of the Rebel Alliance (that would probably not want to be in debt with the characters for the price of one new frigate anyways)?

Then just give them a couple of thousands of credits every now and then. Look up the costs of maintainance, docking fees, and especially repairs. Those can cost a fortune too. Let the players be creative and earn some cash, then take it away in a non-forced manner. Do they really want to fly around in a starship that still has a couple of Critical Hits? Do they want to run the risk of blowing up from a single blaster cannon blast scoring a Crit with all those extra additions to the Critical rolls? Will the players really take their chances by continuing to fly around in a ship that only has half its Hull Trauma capacity left?

Run as you wish, but it seems . . .  I don't know, kind of cheesy to give them a windfall and then arbitrarily take it away again.

I've always been baffled by this "keep them poor" mentality. Yes, rich characters close off one avenue of gaming, but it opens up a whole different world of different games. Some problems you cant buy your way out of, some problems don't go away because you're a high roller - and, more importantly, a whole new crop of problems can arise for the stinking rich.

I've had Lint Farmers without two credits to rub together and Princesses that owned entire planets, and there was never an issue with getting into trouble with either.

Yeah, I've never understood that argument either. If the PCs know that anything they earn will be arbitrarily taken away from them, they'll stop trying.  And probably look for another game.  

Wealthy PCs have other problems and opportunities, but my players are more driven by their own motivations than scraping a living.

We have a PC that is the leader of one of the factions, and we simulated that by giving them the highest possible Contribution rank.  So yes, they can ask for huge ships or even fleets, but have to watch their back for their rivals within their own faction, as well as being a primary target for enemy factions.

Cheesy perhaps but GMs pull all kinds of stunts on the players, it comes with the role. Afterall, without the GM making stuff up they don't have a lot to do.

If all you can come up to do to your characters is to F them, then you are a terrible GM.

And you, as evident by this post, are an incredibly helpful member of this community. Thanks so much.

He is, both helpful and entertaining.

And he's perfectly correct about what makes a lousy GM.

That he may be but nobody suggested "that's all the gm could come up with." It was a pointless an inflammatory remark. He is guilty of the same in post after post if you search. Guess a forum takes all kinds.

That he may be but nobody suggested "that's all the gm could come up with." It was a pointless an inflammatory remark. He is guilty of the same in post after post if you search. Guess a forum takes all kinds.

Yup, it sure does. Like people who post under two forum names...

Edited by 2P51

Seriously I've posted on forums for years. I've never experienced the combative and rude behavior found here with a few individuals. Then if you stand up to them the insult you and scream for moderator discipline. It's rediculous.

Wealthy PCs have other problems and opportunities, but my players are more driven by their own motivations than scraping a living.

To be fair, with the wrong group, I guess could see this as a concern. If your players are focused on the treadmill of "Get Better Stuff so they can Kill Bigger Things so they can Make More Money so they can Get Better Stuff so they can Kill Bigger Things so they can Make More Money so they can. . . ." then having Tony Stark levels of money could be an issue.

Mind you, if the group is having fun even on the treadmill, then I still see no problem.

Then if you stand up to them the insult you and scream for moderator discipline. It's rediculous.

So use the forum's ignore functionality. Problem solved.
Edited by Desslok

Or in this case people with players that join and post to support them when attacked.

I know there's some back and forth on keeping the PCs hungry, and I tend to fall on the "do" side of this argument.  I did give my PCs a cash windfall, a mere 10k in fact, and it wreaked havoc with my game for a little bit.  If you do opt for the large payout without bringing in something to eat that up shortly (ship maintenance, greedy gangsters) then I would suggest paying very close attention to Rarity lest you end up with a suit of powered armor with 2 light repeating blasters mounted on it.  

I've always been baffled by this "keep them poor" mentality. Yes, rich characters close off one avenue of gaming, but it opens up a whole different world of different games. Some problems you cant buy your way out of, some problems don't go away because you're a high roller - and, more importantly, a whole new crop of problems can arise for the stinking rich.

For me it's a matter of my GM taste.  I have a harder time running games of the high-wealth nature.  I don't actively seek to remove a windfall, but I do make daily existence cost something so it doesn't just all go to guns and grenades.  Just routine maintenance on an old ship is likely to siphon off a lot of funds.  

Or in this case people with players that join and post to support them when attacked.

BS.  You're not even a good liar.  Here's the little Hansel and Gretl trail of facts for those interested.

This is your first post as grumpygamer from your own profile page.  It's the first post and only post by grumpygamer in the locked thread.  It was made on the day you made grumpygamer on 3-20-16 which is right when the post was made.  It's clearly referring to the conversation you were having as rgrove0172.  You made the second ID and then forgot to switch profiles back before you posted obviously.

This thread, post #160.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/205728-range-bands/page-8

grumpygamer

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:41 PM

I have a hard time believing I am the problem child in this ridiculous exchange. If someone monitoring officially decides I am, Ill differ to their judgement. I feel Im being consistently provoked but I suppose it could be viewed differently. Each time I try to bow out gracefully someone comes back with an attack. Ive even asked that the thread be closed to avoid this, no luck so far.

grumpygamer's profile showing posts in ascending order.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&sid=d098c0171e082cb3cf90ef0d136fb646&mid=271883&userMode=all&search_app=forums&search_app_filters[forums][searchInKey]=&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_app_filters[forums][sortDir]=1

You're a terrible liar.

Edited by 2P51

He is guilty of the same in post after post if you search.

I honestly don't think he is.

His sense of humour is offbeat, but he's not inflammatory in my opinion.

"If all you can come up to do to your characters is to F them, then you are a terrible GM."

I defy anybody to find anything even slightly funny humorous about that remark. Seriously?

Desslok, 2P51 and a few others apparently take great satisfaction out of posting rude and degrading comments on a new player's thread. Ive only been a member a few days and I already see the pattern.

Enough for me - "Sorry buddy, find another place to hang out is my suggestion."

BS.  You're not even a good liar.  Here's the little Hansel and Gretl trail of facts for those interested.

This is your first post as grumpygamer from your own profile page.  It's the first post and only post by grumpygamer in the locked thread.  It was made on the day you made grumpygamer on 3-20-16 which is right when the post was made.  It's clearly referring to the conversation you were having as rgrove0172.  You made the second ID and then forgot to switch profiles back before you posted obviously.

This thread, post #160.

grumpygamer

I have a hard time believing I am the problem child in this ridiculous exchange. If someone monitoring officially decides I am, Ill differ to their judgement. I feel Im being consistently provoked but I suppose it could be viewed differently. Each time I try to bow out gracefully someone comes back with an attack. Ive even asked that the thread be closed to avoid this, no luck so far.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&sid=d098c0171e082cb3cf90ef0d136fb646&mid=271883&userMode=all&search_app=forums&search_app_filters[forums][searchInKey]=&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_app_filters[forums][sortDir]=1

You're a terrible liar.

Err... bleh, blah, blah, gleck..blah.. whatever Mr. Holmes.. excellent reasoning there. No possibility at all of a friend and player in my game sitting down to read the trash you a-holes spew and creating a quick account so as to pipe in. None at all, no way.. it OBVIOUSLY is just as you say it is since your markedly superior intellect (er.. lets say meritless inflated ego) says so.

Go take a hike, find somebody else in your playground to bully.

This thread, post #160.

grumpygamer

You're a terrible liar.

Err... bleh, blah, blah, gleck..blah.. whatever Mr. Holmes.. excellent reasoning there. No possibility at all of a friend and player in my game sitting down to read the trash you a-holes spew and creating a quick account so as to pipe in. None at all, no way.. it OBVIOUSLY is just as you say it is since your markedly superior intellect (er.. lets say meritless inflated ego) says so.

Well then you and your "friend" share a sense of self identity, because your first post as grumpygamer was clearly referring to everything you had been discussing as rgrove, not as someone else leaping to rgrove's defense.

Let me make this my last post. Im taking Grumpy's advice and leaving the forum to you few asshats.

Many or rather most of you have been great and I am reluctantly parting company. I really enjoyed many of our exchanges and you have given me tons of great info as a GM new to the system. Thanks so much!

To the rest of you (you know who you are) that purposely step in to almost every one of my threads to spread your sanctimonious dribble and hate, well I wont profane the forum here but... you know what you can do to yourselves.

There are other forums on the web discussing this game. Im off to give them a try.

This thread, post #160.

grumpygamer

You're a terrible liar.

Well then you and your "friend" share a sense of self identity, because your first post as grumpygamer was clearly referring to everything you had been discussing as rgrove, not as someone else leaping to rgrove's defense.

Sitting side by side and commenting. Duh.. its a brutally difficult concept.. friends, you know? Oh, doubtlessly you wouldn't understand.

Let me make this my last post. Im taking Grumpy's advice and leaving the forum to you few asshats.

Many or rather most of you have been great and I am reluctantly parting company. I really enjoyed many of our exchanges and you have given me tons of great info as a GM new to the system. Thanks so much!

To the rest of you (you know who you are) that purposely step in to almost every one of my threads to spread your sanctimonious dribble and hate, well I wont profane the forum here but... you know what you can do to yourselves.

There are other forums on the web discussing this game. Im off to give them a try.

Not to throw too much more fuel on the fire but...grumpy is going to take grumpy's advice?

Not to throw too much more fuel on the fire but...grumpy is going to take grumpy's advice?

I know, what else can you say except....

giphy.gif

I defy anybody to find anything even slightly funny humorous about that remark. Seriously?

Eh, that one instance wasn't suppose to be funny. Flippant, yes. Funny? Naw. And it wasn't actually addressing one specific GM - the you in that sentence was the Generic You, not the Specific You.

And the point still stands. If one's creative limits are so hamstrung that removing Fing one's players from the GM bag of tricks inhibits one's story telling abilities, then one is a very poor GM.

Further, if this is being rude, then god forbid you ever wind up wandering over to 4chan or Reddit. You (specific you, not generic you) will be one of the Nazis at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, getting all face melty.

And if you think I'm a total Richard who does nothing  but slam people around here all day long, then you are not actually paying attention.

But hey, it's your life. Do as you wish. Matters not to me, man.

Edited by Desslok