Sign in to follow this  
ChahDresh

CONTEST: Building for Failure

We have some very clever people writing on this forum. I've seen lots of neat combos and strong builds. What I'm asking is that we take these thoughts in a different direction. As a fun exercise, let's waste some value. Let's build lists so bad Paul Heaver couldn't win with them.

Your objective: create a squadron that is as bad as possible.

We're looking for cleverness. There's no point in running a squadron of naked HWKs. That's dull. Everyone knows a support ship needs upgrades to do its job. Try to use the upgrade slots in interesting ways to make the ships more expensive but no more capable. I'm not saying you have to use every one, but you should use them as appropriate to make your ships worse. We're looking for anti-synergy, musclebound giants, and conflicting goals.

Here's an example ship to get you started:

Zeta Leader with Opportunist, 24 points

Neither Zeta Leader's pilot ability nor Opportunist work while you're stressed, meaning you can never use them both at once. You're either paying extra for Zeta Leader's PS and ability, or you're paying extra for Opportunist.

Obviously that's a tame example, and I've come up with a few ugly ones myself, but I want to see what the community can come up with. As incentive (this is a contest after all), there is a prize! The winner gets some shameless ego-stroking: I will /like and unconditionally agree with the next five posts the winner makes.

So let's get out there and FAIL!

Rear Admiral Chiraneau

talent.pngOpportunist (4)
bomb.pngProton Bombs (5)
crew.pngGunner (5)
crew.pngGunner (5)
crew.pngGunner (5)
torpedo.pngAdvanced Proton Torpedoes (6)
title.pngDauntless (2)
modification.pngShield Upgrade (4)

Howlrunner

100pts

multiple gunners are redundent and useless, his ept works nice with his ability and rockets but thats a 1 shot wonder there, howlrunner to re-roll 1 attack dice but is naked

Not a terrible terrible squad, but oh is it flawed. I call it, "Just a little too ruthless". I opted to make it playable with no glaring mistakes, like munitions failure on a ship w/o ordinance. So it's not full of point sinks, just a decent squad that is going to have a hard time with itself. 

Carnor Jax (26)
Ruthlessness (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

"Mauler Mithel" (17)
Ruthlessness (3)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)
Intimidation (2)

Zertik Strom (26)
Ruthlessness (3)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

The guys on Kessel Run were just talking about this. One of them took a Dadh with Outrider title and a flechette

Canon along with some other great garbage to a bring the worst list tournament. Good stuff.

Ok here is my submission. 3 K-wings loaded with bombs and not much else.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!142:-1,126,-1,-1,166,28,137:-1:16:U.127;142:-1,126,-1,-1,139,24,137:-1:16:;142:-1,126,-1,-1,139,137,24:-1:-1:&sn=Hopefully%20we%20don%27t%20kill%20ourselves

I think this would be horribly bad just from the inability to fly your own ships, let alone having your enemy fly. Figure you have 14 bombs on the field, no turrets, and add your placed obstacles as well. You'd be lucky to not destroy your own ships, let alone destroying the enemy.

Scum
Dace Bonearm, Attanni Mindlink, Flight Instructor, Ion Cannon Turret
Cartel Spacer, Heavy Scyk Title, XX-23 S-Thread Tracers
Trandoshan Slaver, Bombadier, XX-23 S-Thread Tracers, Intelligence Agent, Inertal Dampeners, Stealth Device
z-95 Head Hunter, Feedback Array

OR

IG-88A, Opportunist, Tractor Beam, Connor Net, IG-2000 Title, Electronic Baffle, Tractor Beam, Glitterstim, Experimental Interface
Emon Azameen, Autoblaster, Bombadier, Feedback Array, Munitions Failsafe, xx-23 S-Thread Tracers, Slave I Title, Extra Munitions

Edited by Obsidian Leader

Loving the responses so far! Highlights to this point: oberron on the futility of multiple Gunners and fickle on the redundancy of dorsal turret k-wings are both well-taken. Mandoolb's Kavil is superb anti-synergy. But the best work so far is Treybert's A Little Too Ruthless build, a sublime example of a series of seemingly logical choices that adds up to far less than the sum of its parts. I think we have an early favorite! Keep 'em coming...

Alright here we go, this ship can not win any match ever because it kills itself first round of shooting.

Echo + darth vader + electronic baffle + rage + Experimental interface

Echo moves, barrel rolls, experimental interface to use rage, electronic baffle activates taking a damage from EI's stress, rage is used, electronic baffle activates again for another damage, echo fires at any target then uses vader to kill itself.

A month ago I would have said:

Rebel Operative (Tactician) x2 [36]

Rebel Operative x4 [64]

... but we actually had someone challenged to fly this at a recent casual event and he went 2-1 with it.  :wacko:

Edited by DR4CO

This is for any list where Soontir is involved:

Soontir Fel

• Royal Guard Tie
  • Autothrusters
  • Experimental Interface
  • Rage

3 Stress for 4 Focus, and a very high chance you won't use any of them. Basically it's a super roundabout way of replacing Stealth Device with Targeting Computer, only with much more ability shenanigans. Funny thing is, I went with this Soontir at a friends for our weekly 2V2s, not only did he survive pretty well, but he also caught a Z-95 in a bad place and Rage-one-shot it before the other side forfeited.

Rebel Operative x4 [64]

... but we actually had someone challenged to fly this at a recent casual event and he went 2-1 with it.  :wacko:

How does that work??

Just cam up with this

OGP

tractor beam

Mara jade

Anti pursuit lasers

OGP x3

Tractor beam

Anti pursuit lasers

all you do is bump other ships if you can with such a bad dial :P

Rebel Operative x4 [64]

How does that work??

The man who flew the squad is an X-wing God who would could fly pre-fix TIE Advanceds and crush Paul Heaver himself.  :P

At least, that's what the two people he beat would like to think. In reality, they assumed the HWKs were harmless and made cocky mistakes. They let the HWKs trigger the Tacticians and block enough times that the 1-attack primaries eventually tickled them to death.

Many LOLs were had at their expense.

Alright here we go, this ship can not win any match ever because it kills itself first round of shooting.

Echo + darth vader + electronic baffle + rage + Experimental interface

Echo moves, barrel rolls, experimental interface to use rage, electronic baffle activates taking a damage from EI's stress, rage is used, electronic baffle activates again for another damage, echo fires at any target then uses vader to kill itself.

I think we have a winner.

Here is the list that is meant to just kill your self

binayre pirate x 5

Dead mans switch 

binayre pirate

the idea is simple. you fly the Zs in formation when one dies he deals 1 damage to everyone else and they eventually just kill them self.