Sign in to follow this  
Vineheart01

VT-49 Decimator: how is it?

I havnt really heard many people talk about this ship, if at all. So i looked up whats in the box and his stats, and i dont know if its my wetnose opinion or fact that neither the ship or the cards it comes with seem that great or worth the buy.

Am i wrong? Is the Decimator a good buy or should i save my monies and get the shuttle/aces?

All i have right now is the original starter box, tie inquis/defender/adv/bomber/punisher/phantom. Considering i have taken a liking to the punisher i was leaning towards the shuttle for supporty goodness. Eventually i intend to get everything but the decimator on paper just seems like i shouldnt bother, even for the cards.

Again, probably my wetnose opinion talking.

Pretty solid.

My personal bugbear build is Chiraneau with Veteran Instincts, Palpatine, Gunner, Engine Upgrade supporting either Soontir Fel or Darth Vader.  Both ships in this situation are hitting super hard, usually at r1 because of high PS and boost/BR and Palp is making the ace extremely survivable.

Edited by thespaceinvader

I just got it and I'm excited to use it. 

If you want to keep playing a lot of the Punisher, then I'd recommend getting Imperial Aces and trading for a Soontir Fel pilot card and base somewhere.  I could be wrong, but 2 big slow ships (Punisher and Imperial Shuttle) may not be a good idea.   

It's a great carrier for Vader crew and his ability.  Especially with Kenkirk and Isard on board to give you a little protection from your opponent, since Vader will be doing enough damage on his own.

I've also seen some nasty things done with Oicunn, the Dauntless title, Engine Upgrade and Daredevil.  Smack into someone, use Oicunn's ability to ping them for 1 damage, then use the Dauntless title and EU to boost away and shoot at them or Daredevil to land on top of them again.

Edited by DailyRich

hmm, i might have to reconsider my opinion then.

My thoughts were it would be easy to kill, since 0 agility unless its damaged and you have that specific card. Though i admit the ramming mentality is funny and probably pretty easy to do since i tend to cut people off quite a bit with my tie fighters lol.

Still, think i'll get it after the shuttle/aces. But ive changed my mind on not getting it at all lol

It's a good ship, balanced quite nicely ever since it came out.... unlike some other pancakes I know. Just the right amount of offense when compared to its defense (hull). Just fragile enough so you can fly straight into a swarm and expect to live.

Yea it can be easy to blow up, but it still takes a while. You don't hear about it very much because it's not overpowered and not underpowered. 

The shuttle is a good one. My favorite ship. But there is an art to flying it for anything more than a palpmobile.

I have never met a list with a Decimator that was not competitive. It's currently one of the 3 best ships for the Imperials and it needs nothing else alongside it to make it competitive.

Edited by Kdubb

I have never met a list with a Decimator that was not competitive. It's currently one of the 3 best ships for the Imperials and it needs nothing else alongside it to make it competitive.

Well, I'm about to give you one: Captain Kenkirk with Ysanne Isard, Determination, Rebel Captive and Gunner :P . Okay, so it's not terrible, but Kenkirk isn't doing a whole lot these days. At the Wave V release tournament, this thing absolutely dominated. Kenkirk is tough to kill, and I paired him with "Night Beast," "Dark Curse," and and Academy Pilot. I faced a "Whisper"/Chiraneau squad a whole lot, and Determination was just hilarious against Chiraneau's ability, while Rebel Captive gave "Whisper" second thoughts about attacking.

The bottom line is that it's a fun ship. (I have yet to run Chiraneau, and I still say it's a blast to play with!)

hmm, i might have to reconsider my opinion then.

My thoughts were it would be easy to kill, since 0 agility unless its damaged and you have that specific card. Though i admit the ramming mentality is funny and probably pretty easy to do since i tend to cut people off quite a bit with my tie fighters lol.

Still, think i'll get it after the shuttle/aces. But ive changed my mind on not getting it at all lol

If you get Aces, make sure to get a Soontir Fel card and base somewhere, he is SO much fun to fly.

Decimators are amazing.......ly fun.

so many ways to play it.

my flavor is RAC/Whisper.

RAC with Engine, Adaptability (+1),vader,gunner.

Whisper with ACD, FCS,VI,Kallus.

nothing subtle about it. just jam that thing in their face. straight 4 plus a boost gets round one shots at them most of the time.win or lose, games are over FAST.

its so much fun. 

It's worth getting, but know that if you get it it's half your list. That can be good and bad - when i wasn't sure if I'd like the game it was an efficient buy.

I'd say that, instead of being like the Falcon, it's more like the Ghost - instead of a 4 dice main it has a 3 dice turret, and it carries 3 crew to the Ghost's 2, but with 16 HP and 0 Agility it's more comparable.

There are a number of powerful and utility builds to go with it, and unlike a number of ships (coughPunishercough) every pilot card has uses:

Patrol Leader + Vader + Gunner WILL destroy fragile Aces like Soontir Fel; if you're having trouble with a Soontir player you can't go wrong with this.

Oicunn has a Ramming Speed build where he rams twice, dealing two damage, in exchange for 2 Stress (Daredevil+Dauntless Title+Engine Upgrade). Other than that, he's cheap and can deal damage on collision, making him good for avoiding an enemy's shots while still hurting their ships.

Kenkirk + Ysanne Isard + Emperor Palpatine + Engine Upgrade is the Imperial version of Fat Han, with 2 automatic damage mitigation a turn once it kicks in (down to 11 HP.) Not so good in a meta where it can go from 16 to 4-6 HP in a single turn, but it was good not too long ago.

Chiraneau + Veteran Instincts + Engine Upgrade is a supremely good arc dodger while still dealing lots of damage at high PS. 

So yes, very worthwhile. The Shuttle is vulnerable to being arc dodged (and is a whale to move on the tabletop), the Punisher is pretty much reliant on Deathrain for bombs or Redline for ordnance, but the Decimator is... reliable.

It's a very specific combo, but you can always try to make opponents "stick" to the front end of Oicunn - give him Palp crew and Ion Projector. You roll to see if the ion triggers, and Palp can correct it, so any small ship has a 100% chance of being ioned and bumping you again... Setting of the ion projectors. A 1 straight doesn't clear a small ship base, so you can smash away.

There was one match where Oicunn managed to bump Dash and then the Imp player kept all his TIEs flying around the back of the Decimator, completely blocking Dash's exit -- he didn't move again and died from Oicunn's constant bumping. Ion projector wasn't involved (and wouldn't be very effective against large base ships), but I liked the TIEs as blockers to continue the ram/bump.

It's the best ship in the game. That is not an embellishment. I beat 4x TLTS with RAC w/Gunner, Isard, EU, VI, and Vader w/PtL, EU, Prockets, and title/ATC. In the second round of the semifinal game, it legitimately 1-shot Corran. Headhunters? Toast. Dash? Dead. Anything with 3-4 hull is in danger of dying in one round. And EU is goddamn absurd. Dodging out of 3 TLT y-wings ranges literally 8 times in a match is my favorites memory of this game.

VT-49 is my shipfu and I will fight you.