Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
polyheadronman

Han Solo Pilot ability question

7 posts in this topic

I've never played Han a lot, so excuse what is probably an OLD question/issue.

Han's ability says that he must re-roll all dice possible.  I know that dice can only be re-rolled once, so a die or two re-rolled by Predator would be immune to Han's ability, allowing you to re-roll the remaining unaltered results.  Therefore a spent target lock would null his ability if all dice were re-rolled.

That covers physically re rolled dice.  My question is twofold:

a)  What about cards that read "change x result to y,"  (ie. is that technically a modified die and does that make it immune to Han's "all dice possible?")

b) When may Han use his ability?  Must it come before all other result manipulation, or can I wait until after I have influenced the dice pool as much as I can?

Thank you very much for your input in advance.

a: Modifications are of three types: adding results (e.g. Evade tokens, which add a die to the pool set to an evade result), changing results (e.g. using a focus token to change an eye to a hit) and rerolling dice.  Added and changed results can still be rerolled, it's only rerolling that blocks further rerolling.

b: it could happen whenever you want it to happen during your Modify Attack Dice step, before or after any other rerolls (though obviously it blocks any other rerolls if used before them), before or after any other mods (though it rerolls any added or modified dice unless they have previously been rerolled from another source), but it's relatively rare that you'd want to use it after rerolling from another source, unless maybe you wanted go blank out and guarantee Gunner getting you a better shot.

Edited by thespaceinvader
Vorpal Sword and Otacon like this

1. Only think that blocks Hans rerolls are other rerolls, thats why so many people use predator with han: you roll hit,eye,eye then reroll die from predator if you hit its locked then you can try to reroll another 2 or roll blanks/eyes then reroll fist from pred then from han.

2. During dice modify step. You just have a window of opportunity to modify dice as much a as you want in any way you can.

1.  There are a few modifications which count as rerolls or outright prevent additional modification otherwise simply changing the face of the die does not prevent you from rerolling it.

2.  You can use Han at any stage during your modification process.  Generally you're just going to start with him if you plan to reroll everything anyway so spending a TL to do it would be mostly a waste.  To be really honest, about the only time you'll use Han after using other reroll abilities is because you actually want to make your results worse to trigger something like Gunner.

Otacon likes this

Thanks very much to all who replied.  This has really helped.

Playing a tourney this weekend and running Han with Hull Up, title, Jan, Rec Spec, and Predator.

Poe with Juke/Comm, R2D2 and Int Astro for 100pts.

Jan feeds Poe the evade and Han gets foc/ev for the rest of the game, with Pred for offence.  

Poe gets regen from R2 and Int Astro is the late game crit insurance policy.  Big tank.

I was playing with the Gunner idea, but I found in a couple of practice games w/ my son it didn't get used that much (had good rolls, though).  With foc/ev from Jan/Rec Spec, I think that will help a little w/survivability/offence.

I wanted a list that shored up my weaknesses as a player.  I just don't fly enough right now to be well practiced at moving a bunch of ships around the mat.  I need something tanky, and doesn't rely on dice as much.

Any more thoughts would certainly be appreciated, but not necessary.

Thx again.

Thanks very much to all who replied.  This has really helped.

Playing a tourney this weekend and running Han with Hull Up, title, Jan, Rec Spec, and Predator.

Poe with Juke/Comm, R2D2 and Int Astro for 100pts.

Jan feeds Poe the evade and Han gets foc/ev for the rest of the game, with Pred for offence.  

Poe gets regen from R2 and Int Astro is the late game crit insurance policy.  Big tank.

I was playing with the Gunner idea, but I found in a couple of practice games w/ my son it didn't get used that much (had good rolls, though).  With foc/ev from Jan/Rec Spec, I think that will help a little w/survivability/offence.

I wanted a list that shored up my weaknesses as a player.  I just don't fly enough right now to be well practiced at moving a bunch of ships around the mat.  I need something tanky, and doesn't rely on dice as much.

Any more thoughts would certainly be appreciated, but not necessary.

Thx again.

With Jan + Rec Spec and no additional actions, there's no reason to take the title, upgrade your hull to a shield (or just save yourself the point).

Another option would be to swap Rec Spec and Predator for Kyle Katarn and PtL. Then you could get 2 evades + 1 focus each turn, but it would sacrifice maneuverability.

I know this may be the wrong forum for this post, but I wanted to give feedback to those who helped.

Things worked out great.

"Juke and the Fat Han"

Han with shield up, predator, Jan Ors and Rec Spec.

Poe with Int/Astro, Juke, Comm Relay and R2-D2.

98 pts gave me initiative in all games, and there were two where I needed it.  I came in second!

Pros:  Han used his ability and predator all the time.  Being able to get another shot at a crap roll, or try and improve a mediocre one was huge.  I never had to TL (what's the point?), and used foc/ev every turn to great effect.  He was basically super tank.  In fact, he didn't burn once.

Even went up against a nameless VT with rebel captive.  At first I hated attacking with Han (didn't want Poe to stress), but he is so tank, I would eat two stress and shed one.  Eat another, then shed (by green moves, obviously).  The dice were with me, so I didn't lose too much HP.  It ended in a mod win for my opponent, but it was fun!

Poe was fantastic as well, and that Juke/Comm is the poop.  The T-70 breathes new life into the ship, even if it doesn't completely revitalize the old war horse, the T-65.

Opponents seem unsure of who to attack first, as there is no clear target in this build.  They know Han will take forever but likely give them the Mod Win, but Poe is so deadly on the outskirts of the skirmish, plus his regen makes him almost as hard to kill, unless you  can get me into an odd rush of maneuvers which prevent that constant green maneuver/focus action combo.

Tallon roll.  Nuff said.  Didn't use it much, but boy was it there when I needed it.  Poe makes a great blocker if you know your opponents moves well enough.  Regen Poe is not scared to get right in the thick of it.

Cons:

Two ships are susceptible to concentrated fire.  I came up against an X mini-swarm.  Wes, Wedge and Luke.  With Wedge lowering agility (Han killer) and Wes stripping tokens (watch that evade, Poe!), that was the toughest match of the day.  I sweat bullets for the first engagement, and lost all but four hull on Han over the course of the game, as Wedge consistently had me rolling 0 Agil.

I brought it to a mod win after flying Poe into the formation to break it up.  Picked off Wes and Wedge after my opponent made a bad maneuver trying to keep formation, and chased regen Luke (I think he had R5-P9) around the board until time.

Poe feels naked if you aren't focusing every turn.  Because Juke only works on one half of the combat round, he seems like a wasted investment on the other half if you don't have the eyeball to play with.

Two ships are easy to run, but it is stressful.  You know that if you lose one, you are most of the way dead.

Thanks again to those who helped out with my Han question, it really helped me out.  Fly Casual!

FireSpy likes this