Sign in to follow this  
Hexdot

Meta widening distances with the OT ships

This is not against meta. Simply a "feeling" from a player whose game group is mostly interested in iconic ships from ep 4-6. The kind of stuff we played in "Star Warriors". A,B,X,Y. Tie Fighter, advanced, bomber, interceptor. Falcon and Slave. I have strong feelings with many other ships plus Scum. We talk a lot about Jumpmaster 5000, Ghost, defender fix, etc plus new upgrades blessed by the Meta like Mindlink or R5-P8.

And I like it, but next weeks we will play scenarios centered in pre Hoth events. My fellows want to play Falcon, X, etc. Perhaps the game is evolving at such a pace that it is divergent from the OT films "theme". This used to be a quite simple game. One of my friens hate the idea of "a astromech with a repeating blaster on his head". Or other saying "Ok, those are EU ships, but what is a Jumpmaster 5000 ???". We did not grow watching Jumpmasters on the screen.

So I think that now the game is more "Star Wars Universe" and less "X wing". And no trouble about it. OT ships are well depicted, more than enought upgrades, and we freely write scenarios. But we see more EU ships than OT, I think. Perhaps not.

I hope more new ships come from Ep7 and beyond.

PS. How to put spoiler?

We got the new TIE/fo and T70s from the Force Awakens. I'm eagerly waiting for the black shuttle that Kylo Ren rides in and any other new ships from Ep8 onwards.

Edit: Spoiler done. :D

Edited by tangoraven

I think of the basic Wave 1-3 Rebel ships, only the X-Wing is still lackluster. The Imperials have a lot of strong ships from the same Waves.

I think what you're seeing is less that the newer ships are outperforming the older ones, and more that for a lot of people, their favorite Star Wars ship wasn't in any of the movies. I swear to all the gods, the K-Wing is _someone's_ favorite Star Wars ship.

Or the friend of mine, on first learning of tgis game between Waves 2 and 3 asked about the Outrider. That's Star Wars to him.

I know a _lot_ of people who were thrilled to see "their" Star Wars in the game beginning with Wave 6.

I think something to keep in mind is that Star Wars means a lot of different things to different people. My generation grew up with the OT. Another group had the EU and video games and books. A younger crowd grew up with the Prequels. Slightly younger? Clone Wars. And now there are kids who get both the New Trilogy _and_ Rebels.

I mean. I get it. Some times you just want adventures with Luke and palls. And sometimes you want to push space ships around. I think there's a place for declaring a "list building theme night", where everyone has to bring OT ships. Or a night of Rebels. Or Post-Endor.

Squints are going nowhere, Soontir continues to be a staple imperial ship, carnor is going to see a resurgence as a deadeye counter, and a triple squint list won an SC at the weekend including beating Paul Heaver in the process.

Original TIEs are stll great, particularly Howlrunner and Wampa, and they're still the cheapest ship in the Imp arsenal, and the Black Crack is still a staple ship in the Imperial arsenal too.

Vader similarly hasn't gone anwhere.

Bombers are coming back with Chips and Long Range Scanners, not to mention an elite generic in the Imperial Vets set, and a whole new title and way of using them too, which is OT canon.

X-Wings have been used at low level for a while, and a couple of particular pilots, notably Wes Janson and Biggs Darklighter, are again going to see a resurgence due to their pilot abilities countering the new hotnesses like Omega Leader and u-boats.

Y-Wings obviously have been big for a while, although they're going to be going down in the meta a bit now.

Of all the OT ships, probably A-Wings are the least popular.

Don't let the fact that lots of people spend time talking about the new hotness fool you that it's the only thing being played.

Edited by thespaceinvader

A wings are least popular.  Fun to fly but honestly they just don't have a great spot. 

T-65s generics are useless.  Biggs and Wedge has spots rest eh...

Named Y wings suck donkey sacks lets face it.  The issue is the lack of an EPT and the idiotic idea that you have to lose your best slot, the droid to get an EPT and even pay extra for that "privilege".

Really Really hope named Ywings get revamped and get an EPT in next Rebel Aces.

I agree. Looking at this from the point of view of a 45 years old perspective. Childhood OT films. Star Warriors space battles wargaming. A lot of Tie fighter. West End RPG. We see the Y wing a a Fighter Bomber. First Trench Run as they were the attack ships, supposedly covered by Red Squadron.... That means torps and perhaps bombs. Ion turret as self defence weapon, like the rear gunner of a Dauntless dive bomber or a Devastator torpedo bomber. Ordnance weak in x wing, but House Ruled prior to chips. Ok

Then...TLT Wave 7. A turret designed for the K wing ( you see, two turrets on the model, so two shoots per turn...comes with K wing and a K is depicted...but Y wing IS the better ship to carry it !!!. So we see ling range TLT Y wing.snipers. And some of my players say..."errrr...simply...not". So if in Epic I write a scenario with Y wings, perhaps two will equip TLT. And ordnance heavy.

It is all about your ages, your experiencia and your likes. Unless,playing LGS, I do not play in an universe when Red X or Grey Y can not equip an EPT. This is sacrilegy to purist players. And I understood it. It is simply about how we like x wing experience

Actually its a Scum problem - Scum wasn't featured at all in space battles in the OT.

This is the real point I think.  With the exception of Slave 1 and the y-wing (and the YV and a couple of ships from Clone Wars), all of the Scum ships are EU-only, which means there's a whole faction out there which was never seen on screen.

The pilots were, briefly, but the ships weren't.

I don't care about OT not OT, EU or anything else.

I came for the game, and it's good.

Of course it is good...it is superb !!! My intention was to say that there are not only many ways to play x wing...there are also several "moods" playing x wing. And, perhaps and only perhaps, now the "feeling" playing Meta favored ships is not the same it was a couple of year ago. And it is good but...

Not the same if you are 44 or 15 years old. I look at the Jumpmaster and see a good looking ship...but not the same emotion while dialing a Falcon.

My fellows want to play Falcon, X, etc. Perhaps the game is evolving at such a pace that it is divergent from the OT films "theme".

If you want to play A, B, X, Y, Falcon / TIE Fghter / Interceptor / Bomber / Slave 1 lists, then play A, B, X, Y, Falcon / TIE Fghter / Interceptor / Bomber / Slave 1 lists.  There is literally nothing stopping you from doing so.

You can't realistically complain about no-one fielding such lists if you refuse to use them yourself.

And say what you want about the "meta", there are still plenty of reasons to fly all of those ships, and very capable builds using them. 

Hey. anyone still fly xwings? =P 

Wedge, Wes and Luke took 4th at a store championship I TO'd this weekend. Also took down the dreaded triple u-boat list.

Named Y wings suck donkey sacks lets face it.  The issue is the lack of an EPT and the idiotic idea that you have to lose your best slot, the droid to get an EPT and even pay extra for that "privilege".

That said; Horton with R2-D6, VI and TLT was part of the list that took 2nd at the same SC.

Edited by Smutpedler

You can probably get by with using the other Scum ships because the Bounty Hunters were in the movies.  I dunno....I kind of like using them in some scenarios.  They were part of the original three movies, but you just only saw Slave 1.  It's not too much of a stretch to add in those guys.   Just take out any crazy extra bits, like that astromech that shoots back.  

I think it's pretty cool and I know that there are a few people who play X-wing this way.   

Some folks might not ken it, but Shadows of the Empire was very OT in tone and feel, and that's aside from it taking place between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and being very canon. I'm also a diehard OT fan, but I also grew up playing Shadows on the N64 (as well as Rogue Squadron, naturally), so the Outrider and Starviper are to some degrees just as iconic.

I am totally behind the idea that the more recognizable ships need some more love, though, particularly the X-Wing, but that's an old can of worms.

Well aaaactually...

Koensaer designed several versions of the Y-Wing including the BTL-A4, S3, S3-B, Longprobe, Heavy and Light Y-Wing.  The S3 is probably the most ubiquitous variant, consisting of an ordnance bay, ion turret and gunner crew.  This is a direct descendant of the BTL-B, which was the original design and was flown during the Clone War era.  Another version of the S3, called the S3-B traded out some ordnance and the main lasers for particle cannons as well as swapping the ion turret for a rapid fire laser turret.  The BTL-A4 version took the popular S3-B variant and solidified the idea of a "rifleman" Y-Wing.  This was done by removing the crew area and replacing it with more powerful generators for the overhead laser cannons, which were now locked forward just as the main guns.  The Longprobe and Light Y-Wings were mainly used as scouting ships if you can believe that.  Koensaer made extensive modifications to the Y-Wing design to make it more worthy of the role but these were still considered to be scout ships with a certain... staying power over other ships in it's class.  There is a Heavy Y-Wing, much akin to the Punisher with it's multiple engine and bomb nacelles whose role is very guessable.  There is also a Courier version of the Y-Wing produced mainly for civilian use without any armaments.

So... now let's see.  Can a Y-Wing take TLT and be supported story-wise? Yes, if you use just the TLT it's an S3-B.  If you were to just use a turret it would be an S3.  The title obviously makes it an A4, and if you run it naked with maybe some ordnance now it's just an S3 again.

See where I'm going here?

If anything the Y-Wing needs some attention to bring it out of it's "ordnance-only" pidgeon hole.

Edit:  It also needs Princess Leia flying it.  Get on that FFG!

Edited by Darkcloak

If anything the Y-Wing needs some attention to bring it out of it's "ordnance-only" pidgeon hole.

Unless that's where you want it for games that focus on the original 3 movies.  I mean, why not just use it as an ordnance only craft?  It's great for that.  You can make a lot of missions around them that way.  

Unless that's where you want it for games that focus on the original 3 movies.  I mean, why not just use it as an ordnance only craft?  It's great for that.  You can make a lot of missions around them that way.  

eh...poor Y really has nothing on the torp scout or even the Tie bomber when it comes to unloading ordnance