Sign in to follow this  
Princezilla

Rebel Veterans

The HWK-290 while a canon ship has no few known canon pilots - it appears in the Disney game Star Wars: Commander (SW:C)

Z-95 in White & Orange stripes alt paint scheme (as it canonnically appears in SW:C)

FYI, games and their content are not considered canon. but since both of these ships appear in other media that are Canon (movies, tv shows, canon books, canon comics), they are canon ships.

That being said, I would actually be surprised if a rebel vets set included an E-wing since that ship is not canon. with Disney now approving what a licensee can put out, I don't expect to see too many EU/legends based stuff moving forward (of course, an e-wing could show up in rebels, rouge one, or any of the comics or books at the drop of a hat.)

I would think that a rebel vets set would include a t-65, a t-70(both with alternate paint schemes) and a TFA Falcon with the rectangular dish and alternate paint scheme. it would be great if the set would have scum cards for the falcon but then it probably wouldn't be called rebel vets now, would it? ;-)

The HWK-290 while a canon ship has no few known canon pilots - it appears in the Disney game Star Wars: Commander (SW:C)

Z-95 in White & Orange stripes alt paint scheme (as it canonnically appears in SW:C)

FYI, games and their content are not considered canon. but since both of these ships appear in other media that are Canon (movies, tv shows, canon books, canon comics), they are canon ships.

That being said, I would actually be surprised if a rebel vets set included an E-wing since that ship is not canon. with Disney now approving what a licensee can put out, I don't expect to see too many EU/legends based stuff moving forward (of course, an e-wing could show up in rebels, rouge one, or any of the comics or books at the drop of a hat.)

I would think that a rebel vets set would include a t-65, a t-70(both with alternate paint schemes) and a TFA Falcon with the rectangular dish and alternate paint scheme. it would be great if the set would have scum cards for the falcon but then it probably wouldn't be called rebel vets now, would it? ;-)

Actually under the new Disney rules all sources are equally canon as long as they were made and approved after the wipe.

Actually under the new Disney rules all sources are equally canon as long as they were made and approved after the wipe.

I stand corrected!:

List of Star Wars canon

The following is a list of canon Star Wars works as released by Kathleen Kennedy and the Lucasfilm Story Group. It has been stated that from April 2014 onward, all released material should be considered canon unless stated otherwise. The timeline is sorted by how many years the canon material occurs before (BBY) or after (ABY) the Battle of Yavin, which occurs in A New Hope.

List of Star Wars canon Release date In-universe timeline Title Type of media May 1999 32 BBY The Phantom Menace Film January 2016 29 BBY Obi-Wan & Anakin Comic May 2002 22 BBY Attack of the Clones Film August 2008 22 BBY The Clone Wars Film October 2008 22-20 BBY The Clone Wars TV series May 2014 20 BBY Darth Maul - Son of Dathomir Comic July 2015 19 BBY Dark Disciple Novel May 2005 19 BBY Revenge of the Sith Film April 2015 19-18 BBY Kanan Comic April 2015 14 BBY Lords of the Sith Novel November 2014 14 BBY Tarkin Novel October 2015 14 BBY Rise of the Empire Novel September 2014 11 BBY A New Dawn Novel September 2015 11 BBY - 5 ABY Lost Stars Young adult novel May 2018 10 BBY Unnamed Han Solo prequel Film October 2014 5-3 BBY Rebels TV series December 2016 0 BBY Rogue One Film May 1977 0 BBY Star Wars: A New Hope Film March 2015 0 ABY Princess Leia Comic September 2015 0 ABY Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure Young adult novel September 2015 0 ABY The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure Young adult novel October 2015 0 ABY Chewbacca Comic March 2015 0 ABY Heir to the Jedi Novel September 2015 0 ABY The Weapon of a Jedi Young adult novel January 2015 0 ABY Marvel's Star Wars Comic February 2015 0 ABY Darth Vader Comic November 2015 0 ABY Vader Down Comic November 2015 1 ABY Battlefront: Twilight Company Novel July 2015 1 ABY Lando Comic May 1980 3 ABY The Empire Strikes Back Film September 2015 4 ABY Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure Young adult novel May 1983 4 ABY Return of the Jedi Film September 2015 4 ABY Star Wars: Shattered Empire Comic September 2015 4 ABY Uprising Video game September 2015 4 ABY Aftermath Novel July 2016 4 ABY Aftermath - Life Debt Novel June 2016 4-34 ABY Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens Video game December 2015 5 ABY Battle of Jakku (Battlefront downloadable content) Video game May 2016 28 ABY Bloodline Novel November 2015 34 ABY "The Perfect Weapon" Novella December 2015 34 ABY Before the Awakening Young adult anthology December 2015 34 ABY The Force Awakens Film December 2017 TBA Episode VIII Film May 2019 TBA Episode IX Film

Though Star Wars: Commander is not on this list.

FFG isn't publishing only canon material - their entire game line is Legends from RPGs, to card games, to board games to mini games like X-Wing - I suspect their license is for Legends (actually I'm pretty sure - but I've not seen like signed documents so its still only a hunch :P). The E-Wing is almost certainly going to see an update sooner or later (its just a matter of when) - it's just not as broken as the TIE Defender, Bomber or Punisher were prior to wave 8 and Imp Vets, as at least 1 pilot sees regular play.

*snip* 

Though Star Wars: Commander is not on this list.

That's probably because the events that happen in-game are non-canon, however all the ships and tech portrayed in-game are canon. It's strange I know. That's what the Wookiee says though, and canonizes the Defender, 2400, and Deci. They all have canon pages which are essentially stubs on the wookiee, further reinforcing that idea.

Disney took over a long time ago, yet in wave 8 we have 2 old-EU ships and in wave 7 3 out of 4 ships were non-canon.

That's probably because the events that happen in-game are non-canon, however all the ships and tech portrayed in-game are canon. It's strange I know. That's what the Wookiee says though, and canonizes the Defender, 2400, and Deci. They all have canon pages which are essentially stubs on the wookiee, further reinforcing that idea.

The Outrider is already in A New Hope ;-)

The Outrider is already in A New Hope ;-)

Touche.

when will people realize that being better or even equal at pure jousting while still having post dial movement is not balanced at all

Never seemed to break the TIE Fighters.

There are reasons for that.  

The TIE is usually used as the standard for jousting calculations.

When you see TIEs being used to joust they are normally enjoying a numerical advantage which can complicate using post dial movement.

Those larger numbers usually mean lower PS as well and the post dial movement there isn't as advantageous as it is if going after other ships move.

Based on the meta, it will include a T-70 black and gold x-wing just because fans have been asking for it and an e-wing. The imperials have got their mega-fighter love with the defender builds, it's time that the Rebels get the same with the E-wing. My guess would be that the xwing will be a t-70 miniature, but the upgrades will influence the earlier t-65 as well and bring it back into the spotlight. And I would speculate that it will be a Resistance Veterans, with Resistance E-wings.

Edited by Riptide

With Imperial Vets in the not to distant future the Rebel version can't be far behind. I think the logical ships for this are the Y Wing and the E Wing. The former will be only ship from the first three waves with less then there aces after Vets hit and is one of the most iconic ships of the Rebellion so it's sure to be in the box and the latter is one of the ships most in need of fixing. So. What do you think will be in it?

Judging by my take on Alex and Franks interview on the latest Nova podcast, I got the impression that there are no plans for another rebel aces.

They seem to think the rebels are mostly fine now.

Why would y wings need a fix? They have had it. It's called a TLT.

With Imperial Vets in the not to distant future the Rebel version can't be far behind. I think the logical ships for this are the Y Wing and the E Wing. The former will be only ship from the first three waves with less then there aces after Vets hit and is one of the most iconic ships of the Rebellion so it's sure to be in the box and the latter is one of the ships most in need of fixing. So. What do you think will be in it?

Judging by my take on Alex and Franks interview on the latest Nova podcast, I got the impression that there are no plans for another rebel aces.

They seem to think the rebels are mostly fine now.

Why would y wings need a fix? They have had it. It's called a TLT.

The E-wing needs to be made viable outside of Corran; there's no way they're doing nothing considering their counterpart Imp side has been fixed. 

The E-wing needs to be made viable outside of Corran; there's no way they're doing nothing considering their counterpart Imp side has been fixed. 

This is correct - But Corran does see play (1 out of 4 pilots is a regular component of many competitive squads) unlike the TIE Defender (I think there were 1 or 2 in worlds - none in a highly placed squad) and Bomber (there were 0 in worlds - same for Punisher). The Rebel Aces was only released after Imperial Aces was released - FFG may want to wait and see how wave 8 affects the competitive meta for rebels before releasing Rebel Veterans.

This is correct - But Corran does see play (1 out of 4 pilots is a regular component of many competitive squads) unlike the TIE Defender (I think there were 1 or 2 in worlds - none in a highly placed squad) and Bomber (there were 0 in worlds - same for Punisher). The Rebel Aces was only released after Imperial Aces was released - FFG may want to wait and see how wave 8 affects the competitive meta for rebels before releasing Rebel Veterans.

Remember how long the design process is though. They easily could've thought that Rebels are fine because they have already finalized the designs for Rebel Veterans, and just haven't released news about it yet. Remember from their point of view, it's Wave ~10

The T-65 is in a weird place right now but I think all its issues could be fixed with the right non unique droid.

The problem with fixing the issue with a non-unique droid is that it invalidates all other droids. Because if you NEED this one to 'fix' the X Wing, then the others are effectively off-limits. Which is why the fix needs to be a title, IMO, so that the X Wing can be 'fixed' while still having access to the full stable of Astromech droids, and the Integrated Astromech modification. 

Rebels are in a weird place right now, for a couple reasons. First, yes, some ships need help. E-Wing (but you probably don't want the fix to apply to Corran) for sure. HWK almost certainly. X-Wing probably still needs a little nudge. Y-Wings and Z-95s "need" a lot more diversity; compare the options available to Scum Ys to the options available to Rebel Ys. Horton doesn't even have an EPT slot, because he was designed in a different era and they were afraid of things like barrel-rolling Ys with Expert Handling. The notion of which is, uh, not at all frightening these days. 

And then there are the movies and Rebels. For sure you want to put Rey in the Falcon (but probably you don't want to try rereleasing the ship itself). Maybe you want to put Hera in a B-Wing. But: every movie and every season is going to add more stuff you really want to put in the game. The production time lags way behind your knowledge of Cool Stuff We Need to Add.

So, you're FFG. How do you go about handling all that? If you can't, what do you decide needs to happen first? Rebel Veterans being equivalent in scope to Most Wanted goes a long way to hitting most of those points, and might be the best option, but it does violate the "can use everything that comes in the expansion" rule. 

The T-65 is in a weird place right now but I think all its issues could be fixed with the right non unique droid.

The problem with fixing the issue with a non-unique droid is that it invalidates all other droids. Because if you NEED this one to 'fix' the X Wing, then the others are effectively off-limits. Which is why the fix needs to be a title, IMO, so that the X Wing can be 'fixed' while still having access to the full stable of Astromech droids, and the Integrated Astromech modification. 

That's really not the case.  What about a non-unique "training astromech" that reduces the cost of the ship by 2 points, but any time you would normally take 1 stress token, you have to take 2 instead, and if lost, the ship immediately takes 4 stress tokens?  It would certainly help "fix" the low-skill Y-Wing or X-Wing generics, but no ace pilot would dream of taking the thing.

Or even a 0-point astromech: "When being attacked by a pilot of higher skill, you may convert one [blank] evade result to a [focus] result.  When being attacked by a pilot with more than 5 higher skill, you may convert one [blank] evade result to a [focus] result and add one [focus] evade result."  Again, only really useful for lower-skill pilots, and they better have focused!  (Which they won't, then, be able to use on their own attack since they spent it defending against someone shooting at them first)

etc, et al.

There is plenty of design space for things that benefit lower-skill pilots (where the only real problem remains for T-65s, Y-Wings, and E-Wings) while doing nothing for, or indeed severely restricting, the higher-skill pilots that are now in an okay spot.

Edited by xanderf

From the recent interview with the developers on Nova squadron radio, it didn't sound like they thought the X-wing needed a fix.

They did mention the Starviper and scum interceptor getting a boost.

That's really not the case.  What about a non-unique "training astromech" that reduces the cost of the ship by 2 points, but any time you would normally take 1 stress token, you have to take 2 instead, and if lost, the ship immediately takes 4 stress tokens?  It would certainly help "fix" the low-skill Y-Wing or X-Wing generics, but no ace pilot would dream of taking the thing.

Or even a 0-point astromech: "When being attacked by a pilot of higher skill, you may convert one [blank] evade result to a [focus] result.  When being attacked by a pilot with more than 5 higher skill, you may convert one [blank] evade result to a [focus] result and add one [focus] evade result."  Again, only really useful for lower-skill pilots, and they better have focused!  (Which they won't, then, be able to use on their own attack since they spent it defending against someone shooting at them first)

etc, et al.

There is plenty of design space for things that benefit lower-skill pilots (where the only real problem remains for T-65s, Y-Wings, and E-Wings) while doing nothing for, or indeed severely restricting, the higher-skill pilots that are now in an okay spot.

ok so

you want to make an astromech where a K-turn(which X-Wings already hate) double stresses it, and where a stresshog will give it 4 stress. there is not a single ship in the game that would ever trade 2 points for a permanent double stress effect on it every time it's given a stress token. So.... just, no.

look what the X-Wing really needs is a title giving it the barrel roll action and maybe something else but mostly just the barrel roll action. the X-Wings main problem was a lack of any kind of repositioning, which made it obsolete in a meta where every single popular ship had one thing in common: boost, barrel roll, or both. 

So, you're FFG. How do you go about handling all that? 

Reboot!

There is plenty of design space for things that benefit lower-skill pilots (where the only real problem remains for T-65s, Y-Wings, and E-Wings) while doing nothing for, or indeed severely restricting, the higher-skill pilots that are now in an okay spot.

Yes, there is lots of things you can do to boost generic or low PS X Wings through droids.

But the one thing all those droid fixes would share, is that in order to use them that pilot must forgo all the other droids.

Currently, droids are a neat accessory. A player can choose from a range of shenanigans to make his X Wings do stuff. And even better, with the Integrated Astro mod those droids effectively add a shield.

But if you design one (or two, or whatever) droids that are intended to 'fix' the X Wing, then you invalidate all the other droids and end up killing that design space. Because it becomes a case of taking the fix droid, or taking the pre-fix ship. And no one is going to want to run the pre-fix ship, any more than people want to run Interceptors or TIE Advanced pre-fix.

The ONLY thing the X Wing has going for it at the moment is it's astromech slot, which is filled with cool astros, most of which see at least SOME use. Not all of them, obviously, but a lot of them do. Putting a fix in there means that the only droid that is ever taken is the fix droid. Conversely, the X Wing has a vacant title slot. You could put any title, or any NUMBER of titles in there, and not adversely impact the choices that are already available.