Sign in to follow this  
Princezilla

Rebel Veterans

The funny thing with Ewings and Xwings that I'm sure the developers are aware of is they are dealing with a ship that has a statistical 1% that is amazing, and with the right upgrade will become absolute game finishers that will sweep over xwing and not fix the ship they are on, only make that 1% stronger.

The fix that brings out the other 99% will have to be so delicate and intelligent, I honestly can't fathom what they will do.

I'm hoping for a pair of Integrated Astromech cards in it. No desire to buy more T70's for them. A few more Astromechs would be cool. I hope they include some stuff for all the ships. 

Rogue 1 has said they will have a new Tie fighter in it. I'm pretty sure you can expect to see some kind of ship combat in it. Even if it peripheral to the plot.

I actually hope they debut some other ships. Another modified freighter remade into a gun ship, a few rebel corvette's, or maybe an actual rebel battleship, some content to keep Armada/xwing going.

@Lingula The new canon seems to have split the rebellion up into cells and squadron names are just rotated (like how the Red Squadron designation is used in Ep IV & VI) - the different cells sometimed do name their individual formations "Squadrons" but it seems the rebels are very decentralized until after Ep VI - can't say how it will go until Disney releases more sources.

My guess would be on the X-wing (T-65) and E-wing for a rebel veterans like expansion. Especially the E-wing as a generic. The ship has so much potential, but it's just way too expensive.

The HWK got some loving with the release of TLT and the extra crew options that came in wave 8. It's still a viable support ship as it was intended for a reasonable pointcost. E.g. You can fly a TLT HWK with Hera crew for 23 points, with Kanan crew for 25 points. So I dont think they'd put it in a Rebel Veterans expansion.

@Lingula The new canon seems to have split the rebellion up into cells and squadron names are just rotated (like how the Red Squadron designation is used in Ep IV & VI) - the different cells sometimed do name their individual formations "Squadrons" but it seems the rebels are very decentralized until after Ep VI - can't say how it will go until Disney releases more sources.

Yes, I think they want to apply these concepts as they see fit for a new film and not be straightjacketed into certain predetermined ideas.

The HWK doesn't really have any other pilots left in the lore.

E-wing definitely needs loving.

Y-wing is doing fine BUT they might use a veterans release of it to try to give people more viable non-TLT uses of it.  Kind of like how they released Rebel Aces with a B-wing even though it was doing great in the meta already.  They gave people more ways to play it besides just running cheap generics.

If they go the X-wing route I would take a T-70 over a T-65.  They could release Poe's paintjob and include more named pilots now that the new movie's been out for a bit.  Add in some good cheap astromech options and more tech options.

From a game balance perspective the E-Wing might need a buff, but I feel it's a bit of a waste if we never see an E-Wing appear in Star Wars material. Maybe they'll figure that with Corran Horn and Advanced Sensors, the expansion sells well enough. In that case, there might not be a commercial reason to expand on the E. And that is what matters most in the end.

As mentioned, we have a million T-65 packs out there. They need some loving but including one directly might be overkill. I think they can add in a couple fixes via card like they HWK in the aces pack. There is a whole thread on the matter so I won't rehash, but I think there is a fix inside in adding a title to the T-65s as they don't need a whole lot but just a little boost to get them back on the table.

We won't see another model, but I would bet on seeing some more pilots for the Falcon based on TFA. I would also lay money on the E-wing getting some love with a new ship, pilots, and upgrades. While I do think we will see at least two ships, I don't know what the other one would be. Although I am a fan of X-wings, we've had 3 releases of the T-65 and 2 of the T-70. Not sure if the time is right for another but Poe's black ship is still out there. The Y-wing is in a pretty good place so I kind of doubt it. You can always use more Zs. Maybe a stand alone Attack Shuttle? Doing an Attack Shuttle with a Z or two could make for a Rebels Vet. pack instead. :mellow:

There are ways to fix the X-Wing and E-wing with the same cards, they just put "X-Wing and E-wing only" on the card, then it opens it up to add a different ship to pair with an E-wing. I don't think the X-Wing needs any more pilots, but the E and Y could use some diversity. It would make sense for FFG to tie in the X-Wing from Rogue One, but they could release separate Rogue one expansion/wave with the rumored new Tie and any other ships that will be in the movie. Corran should get his Whistler, but it needs to have an ability to makes it an actual option over R2-D2, have him grant a boost and evade after performing a green maneuver.

i was leaning towards the E and the X in the expansion, but the comments above have changed my mind about the T-65. I think they will have a T-70 in the box in the devastatingly awesome black livery from the movie. i agree with what many of you have said, the upgrades for the T-65 will be titles and astromechs. They will just work on either X wing. 

Leaves me wondering what the paint job on the E will look like!

E-Wing has 1 pilot that works... and it works really well (NERF Corran!), but the others need help.

The HWK has one build that works, and it doesn't even work that well (Y-Wings are the tlt captain). HWK needs the most help of any rebel ship in order to see consistent play. And by fixing the rebel HWK you can help the scum HWK that is in just as bad a position.

Here are my thoughts. First of all, IF they do a rebel vets expansion, it doesn't have to perfectly mirror the imperial one. Look at aces. The imperial aces pack only included one ship (2 miniatures) while rebel aces was 2 different ships. It's entirely likely that rebel veterans could be 3 ships, a la most wanted (ideally three different ones). that being said, if it happens I expect 2 ships. Here's what I feel needs to happen to the rebel ships that need (or could use) a fix:

HWK: really the only problem left is the primary weapon. A title/mod that increases primary weapon to 2? IMHO best as a title to make you choose between that or moldy crow. Otherwise, new crew and TLT did a lot to fix this ship (Jan with TLT, Predator/VI, Kanan crew ftw).

Y-Wing: um. Really, outside of EPTs, I don't think there's much that the Y-Wing needs. It would be nice to see something to make bombs/torps more enticing than TLT, but that doesn't need to be a Y-Wing specific fix. They really got a few options in most wanted already. Y-Wings we're seeing a resurgence even before TLT hit.

E-Wings: needs something (like a price discount) to help out pilots not named Corran Horn. A few other pilots would be nice as well, maybe someone to compete with Corran for the top spot. Honestly, maybe an E-Wing only mod with a negative squad point cost. That means it competes with EU for Corran, so it isn't an auto-include. Maybe a mod or title that replaces barrel roll on the action bar with boost? If it's a title it could represent modified engines for straight line speed over strict maneuverability, opens up autothrusters, but again taking that means that Corran lacks access to reliable boost & barrel roll. Helps other pilots, doesn't make Corran the best pilot ever.

X-Wings: ok, I know there are already 3 ways to get X-Wings (and it's just 3, not "a million". Let's not exaggerate). One of those is an epic ship, and the other is a core set that is getting a tad obsolete. What if they put an X-Wing in the veterans pack with updated versions of the core set pilots (with different pilot abilities, etc) as well as a handful of new pilots? Maybe a mid-PS generic with an EPT. This gives people getting into the game with the TFA core set access to the original X-Wing, without the disappointment that is the X-Wing in the modern meta. Also needed are some titles that could make the ship a little more desirable. I've given up on trying to come up with specific ideas, but there are pages of threads with some good ideas.

Ultimately, I think X and E are the most likely candidates, but I wouldn't discount maybe three ships or some cards for ships not in the pack (precedents for both were set by Most Wanted).

Edited by FatherTurin

they could make it not an aces pack but a Squadron pack, similar to most wanted. Lots of pilots, upgrades, and amazing astromechs. The X and E need help, Y needs pilots and epts.

You dont need to be careful with ewing buffs, just fill the astromech or modification slot (or limit the options to be under 3 points to avoid allowing boost and regen).

Oh!

I'd personally love a "fix" that rewarded Xwing, Ewing and Ywings to cash in on the ordinance fixes.

Guidance Mech:

(Astromech)

Rebel only

You may ignore attack (target lock).

Then

Heavy Combat Retrofit

(Title)

Xwing and Ewing only

You may put two extra munitions tokens on equipped (torpedo) upgrade, and Add 1 hull point. Treat all (hard turns) as red.

Then

Heavy Combat Retrofit

(Title)

Xwing and Ewing only

You may put two extra munitions tokens on equipped (torpedo) upgrade, and Add 1 hull point. Treat all (hard turns) as red.

I feel like that just steps on the Y-wing toes too much. Really makes it pointless to fly if the X and E can totally fill its role (outside turret boat, which is getting tuned down a bit anyways).

X and E

Rogue Squadron (Xwing only, PS4 or higher) 1 point title

Gain an EPT if you do not already have one.

Reduce the cost of an equipped torpedo to 0

Red squadrons with EPTs and torpedos. Red and Blue Ace, Biggs, hobbie and Garven, all with EPTs. nuff said.

Advanced Astromech Synchronization

(Ewing only, Modification) 0 points

Nonunique astromechs cost 2 less

If you have an astromech named R7 equipped,

System slots cost 2 less

Once per round, when you spend a TL, gain a TL on the same target.

So it's potntially worth -4 for a knave with R7 Generic and FCS, letting it spend last rounds TL to reduce an attack, and TL/Focus it's own attack for a new TL. But if Corran+R2D2 gives up engine upgrade, all he gains is the ability to TL a proton torp after firing, and less need (though still benificial) for a FCS.

I would make a point that a Z can get into the Rebel Veterans too. More named pilots maybe, to get more use :)

X-Wing would need some title to get pts down, to be useful compared to T70, more for generics probably. Liked idea here maybe Rebel Droid for better torp load out. Title to give second EPT for generics, like A-Wings have.

Can be Unique Title, Prototype Double droid X-Wing, can equip only non named pilots. :)

Y-Wing don't think it's need a fix, i see a lot of Y-Wing play, maybe more Named pilots with interesting abilities.

Hwk, needs more help. Extra primary attack, or some cost slight cost reduction or new named pilots.

E-Wing needs help, maybe can get title similar to Tie Defender, get Focus or Evade after executing move, but lose some slots. To not make Corran too good. Also can be After executing Barrel Roll get focus/evade for example or similar. But needs help.

I say Rebel Veteran will have a E-Wing, Z-Wing and Hwk :D Triple ship :)

As many have said these types of packs are about more then fixing ships, adding variety is just as important and that is something the Y desperately needs.

I had a few ideas, someone already beat me to this but a droid that boosts secondary weapons would be great and make Y Builds that cafe about arc viable again.

Weapons Systems Droid: You may ignore any Attack: Target Lock and Attack: Focus requirements for secondary weapons. You are not required to spend Target Locks or Focus tokens to perform attacks. 1pt

This will also make Ordnance worth considering on Es and Xs while simultaneously letting the Blaster Turret actually compete with the TLT for the Ys turret slot.

Next I'd like to see a zero point mod that adds an EPT usable only by Ys of PS 4 or higher. Something like Enhanced Interface.

For Es... The best thing I can think of to fix them without breaking Corran is an upgrade that has a gunner effect, letting them attack again if they miss then preventing any further attacks that round.

Xwing and Ewing hopefully. We dont need more Xwing pilots, but perhaps Corran can be an Xwing pilot in the pack. Mix pilots between the two ships. Some of the Xwing pilots and their abilities would be great in an Ewing with its System slot and extra agility, and barrell roll. Hobbie +TA could Adv Sensors barrell roll, then do a K-turn, get TL, and be stress free. Or Adv sensors, focus, then do Kturn, and be stress free. Gives Xwing pilots the greens of Ewings too.