Sign in to follow this  
Darkcloak

What if Green Dice...

the point of the game is to destroy ships to get points, if no ships are destroyed its a draw, if the dice are 'even' there is a draw. one dice must be worse than the other, and being that the point of the game, as i said is to kill your opponents ships red dice will always be better.

Yes, another card!  In another new ship!  Come on FFG.  You made red dice hit like turbolasers, let's have some love for the green dice now!

Red dice being better than green is a purposeful design decision to push games towards decisively finishing. Maybe the ability to both pump up Reds while negating Greens has gotten a bit out of hand, I think it's a bit early to say for sure still, but there's no need to change the dice themselves.

Theorist's article about how the easy access to hyper accurate attacks has pushed generics out of the meta is wrong. It's wrong and I have no clue why everyone is believing it. Just because it's on Team Covenant doesn't mean anything.

It's hyper damage mitigation that has pushed generics out of the meta. Buffing green dice would just make vanilla joustwings even more obsolete. Poe, Soontir, Palpatine, C-3PO, higher PS reactive boost/BR, etc. makes it such that even with a 3/3 hit attack there is often very little chance of hitting anything.

When I throw a 4/4 hit attack at a Soontir with one health and my opponent converts a blank blank focus roll to 4 evades with Autothrusters, Focus, Evade, and Palpatine I don't know what else I can do.

This game was supposed to err towards offense being better than defense. The game falls apart when you put a bunch of generics against Palp Aces, one side simply has invincible ships and the other does not.

And then Theorist suggests a bunch of hard counters to 1 agility ships that have no chance in hell of hitting an Acewing. I don't give a flying **** that my ps 2 3 attack dice ship has 5-6 hull behind 2 agility instead of 8 hull behind 1 agility, that doesn't matter. What matters is that when I face a Soontir or Poe player, my 3 dice+Focus mean absolutely nothing because damage mitigation has surpassed normal 3 attack dice+focus joustwing offense, not because high health low agility is a little better than medium health and medium agility or low health high agility.

I agree with PGS...

Not sure I've done that very often.

I feel like the game designers made a very deliberate choice in giving you a 50% chance to hit something with a dice (75% with focus or TL), and only 37.5% (62.5% with focus) to evade...  

Perhaps not deliberate in terms of they knew the exact maths of what they were doing (Maybe they did, I dunno?), but certainly deliberate in the idea that movement and getting arcs on people (whilst avoiding them getting arcs on you) should be rewarded more than evade-dicing your way out of problems.

Now they've since gone and cocked that up a bit as a concept (primary weapon turrets) and then had to reel that back in (auto thrusters) and it's still swaying from side to side... But hey, that's part of the fun.

I say this as an Imperial swarm player who curses every day that my poor TIE fighters (with no shields, paltry 2 reds and 3 greens) are hard done by compared to their shielded X-wing rivals (albeit for half the points... and to the point that the T-65 is all but gathering dust compared to the humble Academy TIE who still gets work).

Well I guess I knew changing the dice was out of the question, but surely I can't be the only one thirsting for more options for defensive builds.

Perhaps just the chance to reroll more green dice would suffice.

Palp Aces is the build for you.

Enjoy it, as I frustratedly hurl red dice at your Soontir and watch him laugh his way out of it....

Well... Until Omega Leader gets a shot on, then, y'know, watch Soontir cry.

Edited by Stu35

Sounds like you found your preferred game.

Naw, I still prefer X-Wing overall. I just like the attack dice system in Armada. It's well balanced, and differentiates the attack ranges pretty well. I kind of wish we had a set of ordnance dice in X-Wing, as has occasionally been brought up, to give them more punch with the same number of dice, instead of just using more red dice.

What about a reverse Predator ept?  Something for 3 points that let's you reroll 1 or 2 greens depending on a criteria, perhaps if you suffer one crit result you get one reroll and two crits you get two.  That way it's not just a dice mod hand shandy and the attacker could even choose not to turn hits over in favour of denying you your ept.

Really I'm not looking for a crutch to just lean on, I really feel like ships that rely on agility for defense are unable to do so.  Given that the agility is weaker than attack by design (and I'm not really arguing that idea) the cases where you fail miserably are more likely to happen.  All I want is some kind of conditional defense against that total flub result.  Something a smart attacker could potentially negate too by canny manipulation of dice mods.  Like for example the above idea.  Let's try an example.

Full health Tie vs Tie at range 1 (just for reference).

I attack you for three reds with a TL.  I roll 2 crits and 1 hit.  Now with the above ept you could reroll 2 of your defense dice since I rolled 2 crits, with 3 greens and a focus of your own I'd hate to let you squib away so now I have the option, do I let the crits stand and save the TL, or do I use my TL to reroll and hope for hits.  I could also reroll just one crit and hopefully take away one of your rerolls.

Here is another idea.  What if you had an ept that let you spend a focus token to reroll a green?  Huh?  That's not bad.  That could even be a Tech card. 

Edited by Darkcloak

Well thank goodness that joke went the other way.

No, a reverse Predator EPT would have to be called Governor, as in former Governor Jesse Ventura!

Who also is in Predator, but dies horribly because he is not the alpha hunter, for all his cigar chomping bravado. 

That actually makes sense for a reroll ability on green dice... because you know you're just going to flub them again!

What about a reverse Predator ept?  Something for 3 points that let's you reroll 1 or 2 greens depending on a criteria, perhaps if you suffer one crit result you get one reroll and two crits you get two.  That way it's not just a dice mod hand shandy and the attacker could even choose not to turn hits over in favour of denying you your ept.

Flight instructor - 4pts  :lol: