Sign in to follow this  
EliasWindrider

Happy Life Day

And this thread should be locked immediately. With the immediate turn it's taken, I don't see it offering anything for the fans here at all except more bickering.

I too, like probably most of us, would like to comment on the topic above. Please leave "real world" topics like this in the real world - discuss with family, at the office, on a political forum. Wish to discuss it with a friend here? Fine, take it to private messages.

This is a game forum. A very specific game forum. I once (once) was a member of a forum discussing a genre that I loved. It was destroyed, for me at least, when I noticed a majority of posts on that forum from myself and others had nothing at all to do with the genre. I quit even though I was a fan of what the forum was intended to be about. I don't what that to happen here.

Edited by Sturn

And this thread should be locked immediately. With the immediate turn it's taken, I don't see it offering anything for the fans here at all except more bickering.

I too, like probably most of us, would like to comment on the topic above. Please leave "real world" topics like this in the real world - discuss with family, at the office, on a political forum. Wish to discuss it with a friend here? Fine, take it to private messages.

This is a game forum. A very specific game forum. I once (once) was a member of a forum discussing a genre that I loved. It was destroyed, for me at least, when I noticed a majority of posts on that forum from myself and others had nothing at all to do with the genre. I quit even though I was a fan of what the forum was intended to be about. I don't what that to happen here.

Totally agree. Go post on Facebook if you want to wish people a good day, or such things.  I ONLY come here to immerse in Star Wars RPG and I do it specifically (like many of us) as a temporary, imaginary escape into fantasy RPG.  It's fun.  

if someone was promoting a "holiday" to *celebrate* genocide (e.g. the WW2  holocost) or say the detonation of the nuclear bomb in japan in WW2 (BTW I work at a gov't lab that helps maintain the US nuclear arsenal, I don't have anything to do with that and I don't object in principle to the idea of having nuclear weapons only to celebrating the fact that they have been used)  or deployment of other WMDs, or the execution of anyone including a convicted murderer then I might say something along the lines of it not being appropriate on this forum, but other than that happy festivus for the rest of us or whatever else you want to celebrate

by the way, the hypothetical objections i listed above are all against *celebrating* DEATH (verses a memorial/moment of silence, type of holiday, note also that "celebrating genocide" means "celebrating genocide" not a "we won our freedom which happened to involve some people dying")

in my opinion LIFE is too short not to celebrate LIFE on special occasions and we all have a different definition of special, if something "special" to you about LIFE makes you happy, then I say go celebrate LIFE in your special way and be happy

But Chrimbo means 'Chocolate For Breakfast' on Boxing Day :lol: - Thank You Vatican/JC

On behalf of the Vatican/JC (who I have no right to speak for) you're welcome for anything they gave you that makes you happy

Edited by EliasWindrider

EW I wasn't responding to yours, the original post. I was responding to the curve the thread had taken.

No worries, I didn't take offense but I did want to send the message that encourage positive (i.e. life celebrating) expressons of diversity rather than suppressing any and all such celebrations just because some people might not want to partake in someone else's way of celebration of life. It's a question of whether we as a society promote or suppress diversity

EW I wasn't responding to yours, the original post. I was responding to the curve the thread had taken.

No worries, I didn't take offense but I did want to send the message that encourage positive (i.e. life celebrating) expressons of diversity rather than suppressing any and all such celebrations just because some people might not want to partake in someone else's way of celebration of life. It's a question of whether we as a society promote or suppress diversity

Riiight.  Rationalize it however you like, but you don't have to spread your "message" everywhere your mouse clicks take you.

When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men.

- Matthew 6:5

Riiight. Rationalize it however you like, but you don't have to spread your "message" everywhere your mouse clicks take you.

When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men.

- Matthew 6:5

Whafrog... how many times have you seen me post anything "religious" on these forums? I'm guessing that this is the first because I don't remember any other occasions and I've been on these forums for a couple of years. No I most certainly do not spread my message everywhere my mouse click takes me. And wishing the community a happy life day on a day that is a religious holiday for people of a particular faith is hardly a "religious" statement.

But my longer post in this thread is about something important and not strictly related to religion. Specifically there are always going to be people who are intolerant of beliefs and worldviews that are different than their own, and these people are likely to make an issue and possibly an argument in response to such expression. When that happens we as a society and on a smaller scale as a message board community need to make a collective decision about how to respond

We could

1) ignore it

2) say tough luck to the person intolerant of other world views

3) avoid arguments by giving the intolerant persons what they want by suppressing even positive expressions of different/diverse world views.

On this issue is what I am making a statement/speaking from a soap box about. And I strongly believe that 3 is the definitively wrong answer. I would speak out against anyone, even if they shared my religious and/or political beliefs, who tried to suppress another person's positive expression of their world view, even that world view was not one that I disagreed with... In this regard I'm in the same camp as Evelyn Beatrice Hall who famously said "I

disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I firmly believe that we should be promoting diversity not trying to suppress it.

Now everything has limits, if someone made a statement about celebrating someone's death (as opposed to celebrating life) then I would make a statement about these boards not being the appropriate venue for that message.

Edited by EliasWindrider

I would speak out against anyone, even if they shared my religious and/or political beliefs, who tried to suppress another person's positive expression of their world view, even that world view was not one that I disagreed with... In this regard I'm in the same camp as Evelyn Beatrice Hall who famously said "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Like so many these days, you are confusing expressions of disapproval with denial of rights.  Like Hall, I'm not denying your rights, just questioning your taste.  I think you don't really understand that quote, because surely if you are allowed to express yourself, the opposition also has the same rights.

But speaking of rights, like so many these days, you also seem to think you can express whatever comes into your heart anywhere you like.  These boards aren't your soapbox.  They are private property...treated very openly, but there are rules, starting with courtesy guidelines to stay on topic.

Now everything has limits, if someone made a statement about celebrating someone's death (as opposed to celebrating life) then I would make a statement about these boards not being the appropriate venue for that message.

Well now you're disenfranchising worshippers of Kali...seems unfair   :ph34r:

This is like going to ESPN to get up-to-date on Peyton Manning's retirement.

I like sports.

I like football.

I go to ESPN.com to get those things.

Yet, when I get there, if I find that 388 housewives had decided to swap casserole recipes in the comment section of that webpage, then I end up sorting through recipes on Green Bean Casseroles to get to whether Peyton is coming back or not.  After a while, I begin to learn that I need to go to another website to get what I came for because this site has gotten hi-jacked into something I did not come here to get.

Now, Peyton may very well LOVE Green Bean Casseroles.

I may love Green Bean Casseroles.

The housewives may all LOVE Green Bean Casseroles and they just want to share it with people. 

"Who doesn't like Green Bean Casseroles?" 

Intent to harm?        No.

Self-focused?           Yes. 

Beneficial to others?       (Only in the minds of the ones who posted.)

Un-Courteous?      Certainly. 

If ESPN politely removes or relocates the posts to www.GreenBeanCasseroleRecipes.com, is it....

Intolerant?     No.  

Suppressing their worldview?       No.

Expressing their hatred of Green Bean Casseroles?      No. 

Making a social statement about against the posting of recipes?      No.  

Shutting down their right to celebrate their joy of Green Bean Casseroles?     No. 

Placing "courtesy" above "self-indulgent expressionism"?     

YES.

A personal 'Entitlement' disorder? 

YES.

Standing against those who use words like 'diversity', 'tolerance', and 'personal positive expression' to then "force" others to listen to them and then accuse you of wrongdoing if you say, "Not here, please."?    

YES. 

Is this like trying to watch the Super Bowl and when two people comes in the room having a loud conversation on the tragedy in the Sudan, and when the person watching the game politely asks them to take it elsewhere so he can watch the game, the two people turn on him as if HE'S down something wrong and accuse HIM of being... 'intolerant', against 'diversity', and against 'personal positive expression'? 

YES!!!

Edited by DurosSpacer

I'm all about freedom and in particular free speech, but...........never discuss politics and religion in mixed company is probably about the best piece of old school cliche advice there is socially.  

Again, I support anyone's right to express a view, it's just sometimes you can express a view in T-shirt and shorts, and other times you better be wearing Class 4 armor and a good helmet.