Sign in to follow this  
TylerTT

how are folks liking the dial upgrades?

I picked up a set of each, and am for the moment contemplating a second set of rebel ones.  The center peg isn't an interference fit as it is, so there really shouldn't be any wear/tear.  The small piece that slides over top is what provides the friction as you turn the dial.  

The only thing I can see wearing out would be the ship icon inserts.  And in all honesty, I plan on just painting over that and numbering them.  The goal for me is to reduce the amount of stuff I'm carrying around, so carrying those inserts defeats half the purpose.  

With 3 of each faction, I figure in a pinch I can use the other factions if I get the sudden desire to run an 8 ship swarm.  And if I decide to competitively play an 8 ship swarm, I'll just have to grab the standard dial fronts beforehand.

I bought one hoping to like them, but they're an equal pain in the ass to remove. It's unlikely I will buy 30 packs for the ships I own and I'm not sure about new ships yet.

Huh? Just press down through the Ship window and the edge oi the dial and they come apart easily so you can swap them out.

If you are having trouble disassembling old dials, there is a thread already with advice. Short tip - Use a small butter knife/tool to pry the plastic bit apart.  If it feels like it is not moving easily, try the other side of the plastic piece.  Prying from the 'male' side should be easy.

@OP - I like them a lot.  I think they look great and I think they feel better than the cardboard. I got a few of each pack so I didn't have to swap all the time.  I have enough that I can have 2-3 lists ready to rock for each faction at one time.

My only complaint is how flat they look because of the color/plastic despite the cool textured surface.  But nothing some paint can't spruce up =).

I tried this but you still have to put a fair bit of pressure on the dial itself. I feel like a latch or twist lock would have been better than friction fit. I'm still on the fence, but I am not feeling like they're worth the setup time to save on a little bit of space.

I bought two packs of imperial ones and I plan on painting mine as well for a couple choice ships (Fel, Whisper).  Aside from the bling it really irritates me that they don't just design the dials a little better out of the cardboard that it comes with.  Slightly larger dial with cutouts on the maneuver face would let you see most all the maneuvers when selecting one (curved windows, in quadrants, but still allowing the outer edge so you could oreo-cookie them to select maneuvers).  I'm going to keep the imperial ones for those select ships that I really like to play, a LOT.  But I'm very disinclined to buy any more.

b8EXbq7.jpg?1

LOVE this.  Looks so much better.  I asked this of another person in another thread - Did you prime them? I am planning on painting mine as well, but expected I would have to prime to keep them from chipping.

b8EXbq7.jpg?1

LOVE this.  Looks so much better.  I asked this of another person in another thread - Did you prime them? I am planning on painting mine as well, but expected I would have to prime to keep them from chipping.

I did not prime them, but did give them a good layer of dark gray first. The material seems to hold the paint pretty well, but I don't think a primer will hurt anything.