Sign in to follow this  
TylerTT

how are folks liking the dial upgrades?

I like them, but probably will not buy them for all my ships. figure I will have enough to swap them out for formal events that I go to. Probably 6 per faction at the most, that should cover most lists I play at the moment.

I haven't bought, but I did fiddle with one someone else had. Three complaints:

1. For being non-essential "bling" they look a little like rubberized plastic with low resolution to the detail. They need a weathered look.

2. They don't have recessed edges to allow nested stacking.

3. If I were to actually disassemble all my cardboard dials for improved storage, I would need to keep a key handy for being able to associate ship types with SWX numbers, since that is the only identifier on the maneuver half of the dial cardboard.

Are you allowed to use cross faction dials? Can I just buy 3 packs of imperial ones and slip little notes of paper into them to denote ships I don't have the little dial tokens for?

I could do $30 for all possible lists. Any more than that and it's too much. Not doing $90 for 3 sets of each faction.

The current rule is that the cardboard dials are interchangeable between factions, so why not the new fancy plastic ones? After all, it's just replacing a cardboard cover piece with a bunch of plastic.

3. If I were to actually disassemble all my cardboard dials for improved storage, I would need to keep a key handy for being able to associate ship types with SWX numbers, since that is the only identifier on the maneuver half of the dial cardboard.

That part's easy: label the maneuver side as you take them apart. I did it with a silver sharpie, but a friend used a normal one and can still read his notations.

That part's easy: label the maneuver side as you take them apart. I did it with a silver sharpie, but a friend used a normal one and can still read his notations.

Snarl. Snort. Ocd.

Mar any of my cardboard accoutrements????

It broke my heart to sketch little ink markings on the edges of my tournament selected obstacles. :_(

I purchased a pack yesterday before the store championship began and unpacked them. I adore the Rebel set but do have a few problems.

For me, I like how I can assemble dials as and when I need them, I know the dials well enough that I can I'd them by their Manuvers. I love how it gives you a clear view of the dial and can easily distinguish between ships with the inserted ship silhouette or ID number. I would pick up 2 of each faction pack tomorrow....buuuut...my local store was allocated to just 4 packs per faction.....great...well done FFG.

Why not just label the dials? It's not like the backs are showing anymore. Just toss a readable label sticker on there.

Going in I had a few concerns regarding the new dials.

1. Does it addresses the slippage issues?

2. How to tell which ship disc belong to which ship.

3. Can I just get 6 from each fraction and just switch the discs in/out as needed.

I brought one package (rebel) primarily to check it out.  If it doesn't work out - I would just use them as fixed dials for Hera.  I am happy to say that there won't be any slippage issue. The ship discs are slightly higher than the back retainer and the force from the position selector hold it down. 

Telling which disc belonging to which ship can be solved easily by writing the ship type on the back of each disc as you disassemble it. (as others had pointed out). 

The last concern is yet to be determined tho I have fair reasonable hope that switching out discs won't be an issue.  You may need to replace one or two every few years, depending on how much you had to swap.     

I believe if you get 6 dials for each fraction, you will be in good shape and will gain some much need storage space previously occupied by the dials.

I just got a pack of Imp and Reb.  I put the dials for the Falcon, Ghost and Decimator in 'em.  Then Interceptor and Advanced since they see a lot of play for me.  I put the K-Wing in the other Reb dial cause well....cause.

They're easy to swap out, easier than getting the old dials apart for sure!  I'm a bit concerned about wearing out the little plastic nub with lots of swaps, but honestly, I doubt I'll swap them from the Large Ships, at least.  

I do really like how you can see the whole dial at once, that's nice.

I really don't see buying these and swapping them out for every list.  Just a couple favorite ships, or maybe that big Regional/Nats/Worlds list.

I debated with myself constantly, until I finally convinced myself that my dials are the only thing I have left that's made entirely of cardboard, so I might as well get some. I bought enough just for the ships that I most commonly use for now. I loved using them over the weekend.

I like them more than I thought I would.

They have been major space savers. They reduce each individual dial by 2/3rds thickness. I also really like that I can see all of my maneuvers on the dial without consulting a chart thingy.

I just got 2 Scum sets and I'm liking them so far. They've given me back half my storage case which was almost full. As for identifying dials I just used a fine point sharpie an wrote the ships initials (like JM5 for JumpMaster 5000) on the inner rim, which get covered up when the dial is assembled. Then I put all the cardboard dials into a pair of 16 pocket card pages and put them in my binder with all my pilot & upgrade cards.

The only downside is you can only hold 4-5 in your hand while planning, and you need to check the other side to see which ship they're for (if you don't already know your dials well enough to tell from the maneuvers), so that might take a bit to get accustom to.

Urgh. I love these dials, but my major dilemma right now is back-filling the little ship tokens for all of the old ships. I know the dials come with them, but 1) they're double-sided (TIE Fighter on one side, TIE Interceptor on the other, for example) and 2) I have more than 3 of some ships.

I realize with one set of dials I can't ever use more than three tokens, but I really want to be able to keep all of my stuff for a single ship together in a package - the base templates, the ship token for the dial, and the backing maneuver dial.

I guess I'll have to make my own tokens unless I can figure out some way to score additional copies of the cardboard tokens...

They have been major space savers. They reduce each individual dial by 2/3rds thickness. I also really like that I can see all of my maneuvers on the dial without consulting a chart thingy.

How does it say 2/3s the thickness.

I just got 2 Scum sets and I'm liking them so far. They've given me back half my storage case which was almost full. As for identifying dials I just used a fine point sharpie an wrote the ships initials (like JM5 for JumpMaster 5000) on the inner rim, which get covered up when the dial is assembled. Then I put all the cardboard dials into a pair of 16 pocket card pages and put them in my binder with all my pilot & upgrade cards.

The only downside is you can only hold 4-5 in your hand while planning, and you need to check the other side to see which ship they're for (if you don't already know your dials well enough to tell from the maneuvers), so that might take a bit to get accustom to.

So you're not having any issues swapping out the maneuver dials from one disk to another?

The new dials are actually thicker, by almost double. The old dials are, counting the clips that stick out. are about .2 inches, while the new dials are almost .4 inches. I to like the ability to see all of the maneuvers at the same time. Where you will generally save space is being able to swap them out, so you just need to carry the actual side with the maneuvers only. It would seem a little expensive to buy the new dial for all of your ships.

Changing out seems simple, I take an eyeglass screwdriver, slide it between the main plastic housing and the card board dial, raise it slightly and the plastic lock pops slides right out.

Edited by librarian101

Dials right now are the maneuver plate, the front plate, and the peg that connects them. The peg that connects them sticks out a fair bit in front and back (about as much total as another plate). Thus, dropping the front plate and the peg means you reduce the dial by 2/3.

Of course, the new dials themselves are thicker, but you don't need one of those for every ship.

So you're not having any issues swapping out the maneuver dials from one disk to another?

No issues so far, they separate easily by pushing in the ship icon token and the exposed edge of the dial. The only thing I'm concerned with is if there might be wear and tear on the dial over time, but I've seen no signs of it yet. But I generally stick to the same few ships for a couple months at a time so I don't really need to swap them that often.

I like them.  The FLGS sure had a bunch of them here in Killeen TX.  Empire ones were the only one in short supply.  I bought two packs of S&V, as my aggressor dials were really played, alot of white on the edges.  Also picked up a rebel pack, might pick up another.

I do like them, they look good and I enjoy looking at the movements other than one at a time.  I don't plan on moving them in and out.  Now just waiting for the colored ship bases to come in.

If I'm being honest, they're a bit impractical if you frequently change builds. If you're going to an event or always play the same ships then they're fine, but if you're changing out ships and factions after every game they're a bit of a hassle.

The idea is to upgrade all your regular builds and keep the rest either as standard dials or upgrade them as well. The idea is not to switch dials constantly up, as this would increase wear even more than just using them. 

And they are indeed nice to upgrade new ships you bought until your acrylic dials for them arrive ;-)

If I'm being honest, they're a bit impractical if you frequently change builds. If you're going to an event or always play the same ships then they're fine, but if you're changing out ships and factions after every game they're a bit of a hassle.

The idea is to upgrade all your regular builds and keep the rest either as standard dials or upgrade them as well. The idea is not to switch dials constantly up, as this would increase wear even more than just using them. 

And they are indeed nice to upgrade new ships you bought until your acrylic dials for them arrive ;-)

Tell me more about these acrylic dials...

Tell me more about these acrylic dials...

There are many acrylic dials, but those ones are cheap.