Sign in to follow this  
TylerTT

how are folks liking the dial upgrades?

I bought a set for research reasons and have enjoyed fiddling around with them. 

I have not played with them on the table yet but I find they are easier to turn and look pretty nice.

swapping dials for ships is pretty easy just press on the ship icon and the rim and they pop apart. not sure i want to add yet another thing to assemble and find before i get to play (already you have to assemble basses, cards, id tokens, BUGH!)

not sure how many i will get. i do wish there had been four dials in each kit as this would give me enough dials for 90% of my lists. as it is three is not enough and 6 is too many for my playstyle.

Thinking of getting 2 packs of each faction for tournament play. Don't see myself buying a lot of them but it'd look nice for when I'm playing the same squad multiple times in a row

swapping dials for ships is pretty easy just press on the ship icon and the rim and they pop apart. not sure i want to add yet another thing to assemble and find before i get to play (already you have to assemble basses, cards, id tokens, BUGH!)

Haven't seen a video of someone doing that, yet - currently, dial storage is getting to be an *epic* pain in the arse.  If I could get a couple packs of these and only need to store the dial *bottoms* from now on, that'd be a HUGE win...but that swapping has seriously got to be an absolutely trivial process.  I rarely fly the same list twice, so...dials would see a lot of action.

I don't have any easy way to post a video, but you don't even need to push in on the id token hole. Just push the lip of the dial at the gap while holding the covering, making sure to cover the peg part (otherwise it can fly a decent way).

The only problem I have had was with the little counters that fit into the dial(and it minor), with the X-wing/T70 and Tie/TieFO.  Since they have similar images there might be some confusion with the images on the dial.  Have to remember which image points in each direction.  As far as changing them out, it probably took about 5 minutes with the 3 I am testing(took longer to get them out of the plastic packaging).

I'm liking them, got one pack to test and think I will get them for my scum, (not rebels, I have way too many for that to be cost effective, except my 4 a wing list I use that a lot). I think you have to go all or nothing as switching between dials for different lists will get tedious and eventually wear out the fit on the dials.

They make selecting maneuvers easier since you can pretty much see the whole dial. They turn easy and stay where you set them (at least when new, only time will tell how well they wear).

I bought 2 of each. I thought I would switch them back and forth depending on what I was playing, but quickly soured on that idea after assembling the first 18. Personally, I thought it was a pain in the ass, and I'm unsure how well they'll stand up to repeated disassembling and assembling. However, I liked them so much I bought 3 more of each. I'll probably get a couple more of each Monday and then slowly add more until I have enough to cover about any build I might play.

I guess you could say I like them.

Dont they take up a lot more room than the regular dials

They do, but the hope was that if you could easily swap the dials in and out, you would only need a few each for when you play. That way you could get rid of the top half of the original dial and only keep the bottom. Thus taking up less room overall.

Dont they take up a lot more room than the regular dials

To be honest I haven't thought about how I'll store them. However, when I play I usually take a list or two, so transporting them is not an issue for me.

Whenever I put a dial together, I apply a layer of shelf liner to the top to protect thumbs from rubbing the cardboard bare, and to the middle, to facilitate easier turning.

My dials turn like a dream, no extra purchases besides the roll of Con-tact shelf liner from Home Depot.  It cost maybe 8 bucks and I've been using it for tons of things for over 2 years (including lining my shelves, lol) and it still hasn't run out.

They are an amazing product. Look great and are easy to assemble. Not sure that I will be doing any swapping around though. But time will tell, and ultimately my OCDness will decide if I change all my dials over to the new ones.

Whenever I put a dial together, I apply a layer of shelf liner to the top to protect thumbs from rubbing the cardboard bare, and to the middle, to facilitate easier turning.

My dials turn like a dream, no extra purchases besides the roll of Con-tact shelf liner from Home Depot.  It cost maybe 8 bucks and I've been using it for tons of things for over 2 years (including lining my shelves, lol) and it still hasn't run out.

I do this too, and it's the main reason I'm not so interested in this product.  Cutting down on storage by only needing half the dial does sound appealing, but I'm not convinced it's worth the fuss.  Being able to see all your maneuvers at once is nice too but it can be accomplished by making maneuver cards, which can simply be cut out of the packaging that most ships come with (I have them made for most ships already but never use them).  I'm willing to just say I'm not the target market for this item but it seems like a hard sell other than to people who just really like to bling out their X-wing kit.

Edited by Effenhoog

Are you allowed to use cross faction dials? Can I just buy 3 packs of imperial ones and slip little notes of paper into them to denote ships I don't have the little dial tokens for?

I could do $30 for all possible lists. Any more than that and it's too much. Not doing $90 for 3 sets of each faction.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

Are you allowed to use cross faction dials? Can I just buy 3 packs of imperial ones and slip little notes of paper into them to denote ships I don't have the little dial tokens for?

I could do $30 for all possible lists. Any more than that and it's too much. Not doing $90 for 3 sets of each faction.

I don't really know about interchangeability, but it seems unlikely. I'm sure we will get an answer to that question in the coming weeks.

These things are really nice and useful, but without a doubt a luxury item, not a necessity for the game.

I bought one hoping to like them, but they're an equal pain in the ass to remove. It's unlikely I will buy 30 packs for the ships I own and I'm not sure about new ships yet.

Huh? Just press down through the Ship window and the edge oi the dial and they come apart easily so you can swap them out.

If you are having trouble disassembling old dials, there is a thread already with advice. Short tip - Use a small butter knife/tool to pry the plastic bit apart.  If it feels like it is not moving easily, try the other side of the plastic piece.  Prying from the 'male' side should be easy.

@OP - I like them a lot.  I think they look great and I think they feel better than the cardboard. I got a few of each pack so I didn't have to swap all the time.  I have enough that I can have 2-3 lists ready to rock for each faction at one time.

My only complaint is how flat they look because of the color/plastic despite the cool textured surface.  But nothing some paint can't spruce up =).