Sign in to follow this  
Alekzanter

I can't breathe!

When dealing damage to a target 2 Triumph can be used to destroy a piece of equipment being used by the target...would you allow this to affect the special breathing gizmo being used by a Gand Nemesis? What about a Gand PC?

I've altered the wording a bit to read "...a piece of equipment being actively used..." and consider the gizmo's use as passive.

There are likely other scenarios in which this effect could be "cheesed", but this one is front and center at the moment.

Eh, I probably would yeah, and maybe inflict the "Winded" critical injury effect to the Gand, maybe a setback die as well for any athletics/coordination rolls.   

I don't know enough about Gand biology, but do they die if they don't have that apparatus?  'Cause if so...well, that's a big problem for them!  :D

If it's just an uncomfortable thing, then I'd stick with "Winded + 1 setback die" until they fix it.

Hmm. A Gand Nemesis, sure. I would totally allow the players to do that.

But I wouldn't use this option on a Gand PC unless the heroes had some way of getting out of the situation (or at least they can put together a temporary solution). Otherwise it's me as a GM being a total jerk and effectively killing a PC with one lucky roll. ("Hey, it's not my fault you guys didn't think to bring any more breathing apparati!") If it helped move the story forward in any way, then awesome. But if it's just 2 Triumphs spent to totally screw over a PC, then no I wouldn't do it. Seems mean-spirited. 

Eh, I probably would yeah, and maybe inflict the "Winded" critical injury effect to the Gand, maybe a setback die as well for any athletics/coordination rolls.   

I don't know enough about Gand biology, but do they die if they don't have that apparatus?  'Cause if so...well, that's a big problem for them!   :D

If it's just an uncomfortable thing, then I'd stick with "Winded + 1 setback die" until they fix it.

I'd treat it as Suffocating. The character takes 3 strain every turn until unconscious, and starts taking Critical Injuries every round after that. 

I don't know enough about Gand biology, but do they die if they don't have that apparatus?  'Cause if so...well, that's a big problem for them!   :D

I'd treat it as Suffocating. The character takes 3 strain every turn until unconscious, and starts taking Critical Injuries every round after that. 

Ah, yes that would be much better, thank you.   Don't have my books with me so couldn't see the critical chart.  Also not sure if missing the rebreather would be that severe for a Gand.  Like I said, I know nothing about their biology :)  

Hmm. A Gand Nemesis, sure. I would totally allow the players to do that.

But I wouldn't use this option on a Gand PC unless the heroes had some way of getting out of the situation (or at least they can put together a temporary solution). Otherwise it's me as a GM being a total jerk and effectively killing a PC with one lucky roll. ("Hey, it's not my fault you guys didn't think to bring any more breathing apparati!") If it helped move the story forward in any way, then awesome. But if it's just 2 Triumphs spent to totally screw over a PC, then no I wouldn't do it. Seems mean-spirited. 

If that's not screaming for a DP on the table - "good thing I have my back-up!" I don't know what does... (either pc or npc) and it's still not a total waste of Triumphs, as the character is going to lose at least a couple of Actions rolling around on the ground trying to swap out the equipment and not breathing.

While a Critical and some kind of cool narrative event might be 'better' from some mechanical perspective, that's a bad ass shot, and would probably carry some other effect (assuming an npc, especially) for a round or two or three - setback or bonus dice depending on the interaction.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gand

They breathe ammonia, so yeah they can't breath in human-friendly environments.

The other option is to say, "you can breath if you remove your broken apparatus, but there is too much oxygen in the air right now," and treat it like poisoning somehow...but I don't think the situation requires that much granularity. Strain + Crits is fine.

I've used Despairs to knock off breathing gear while PCs are underwater - I treat it as holding breath and then suffocating.

And one PC losing their mask sends the whole party (except the guy who is amphibious) into total panic - it really ups the tension of a 'routine' encounter...

It was interesting to see all the PCs stop what they were doing for a second to decide if/how they could help the unmasked character, but nobody thought of the destiny point. Mechanic did a triumphant patch job on the mask in record time instead.

I've used Despairs to knock off breathing gear while PCs are underwater - I treat it as holding breath and then suffocating.

And one PC losing their mask sends the whole party (except the guy who is amphibious) into total panic - it really ups the tension of a 'routine' encounter...

It was interesting to see all the PCs stop what they were doing for a second to decide if/how they could help the unmasked character, but nobody thought of the destiny point. Mechanic did a triumphant patch job on the mask in record time instead.

See, that, I don't have too much of a problem with. You choose to roll those Challenge dice, you're taking your life into your hands :) Just hope that you or your friends can mitigate the Despair effects...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gand

They breathe ammonia, so yeah they can't breath in human-friendly environments.

The other option is to say, "you can breath if you remove your broken apparatus, but there is too much oxygen in the air right now," and treat it like poisoning somehow...but I don't think the situation requires that much granularity. Strain + Crits is fine.

Agreed, easiest way is to just use the Suffocation critical and run with it.  It's the most fitting.  

When dealing damage to a target 2 Triumph can be used to destroy a piece of equipment being used by the target...would you allow this to affect the special breathing gizmo being used by a Gand Nemesis? What about a Gand PC?

I've altered the wording a bit to read "...a piece of equipment being actively used..." and consider the gizmo's use as passive.

There are likely other scenarios in which this effect could be "cheesed", but this one is front and center at the moment.

That`s up to you. Sure, if you think it is enough to take out the nemesis and end the fight. Whatever fits the story. Be free and creative with the narrative dice, like the RAW and RAI say and the devs keep saying.

Your game, your story, your dice.

Edited by RodianClone

Better hope someone in the group has a Utility Belt Talent.

Better hope someone in the group has a Utility Belt Talent.

When it is as a reaction to the narrative and Something that happened in the story, can't you just flip a destiny point without the tool belt?

Ah, yes that would be much better, thank you.   Don't have my books with me so couldn't see the critical chart.  Also not sure if missing the rebreather would be that severe for a Gand.  Like I said, I know nothing about their biology :)

According to the book they would be in a Rating 8 corrosive atmosphere. So the Gand could hold his breath for a number of rounds equal to his Brawn and then start taking the damage. That is plenty of time to finish an encounter (though I would gladly let my players spend advantage/his threat to reduce the rounds or have some other, more immediate, effect.)

Interesting. I didn't think to make Oxygen a "corrosive" element, like ammonia is for humans. A bit more deadly than care for...but maybe I'm just biased because I like oxygen.

You might not like oxygen so much in abnormally high concentrations. It's actually a fairly nasty chemical.

I'm playing a Gand in a game right now and this was something I put some thought into when creating the character. 

Normally, I take the "don't be a jerk" route and probably wouldn't target vital PC equipment in a manner that could be perceived as malicious. However, Gand players do have the option to spend 10 XP at creation to be a "lungless" Gand and, thereby, never have to worry about this. For me, the peace of mind that my character wouldn't be facing such a demise was worth the measly amount of XP.

Even so, it does sort of cheapen the game to me that our characters have earned 305 XP so far and have never once been put into a situation where requiring a respirator or being lungless affected the game in any way. But, then, just moving down my talent trees I've also spent XP on talents like Street Smarts and Expert Tracker that will also likely never impact the game so, I guess, "win some, lose some."

Edited by ghost warlock

Our game started on Nar Shadaa and, had we stayed there, Street Smarts would probably have seen some use. But by the time I got far enough down the talent tree to pick it up (Force Sensitive Exile), we were off raiding ancient Jedi temples for pieces of a star map and haven't foot on a populated planet in months of game time.