WWHSD

FFG Email Ruling Collection

Just got an email from Frank reversing the earlier ruling that Juke can modify an evade result from a Reinforce token.

In response to your rules question:

Rules Question:
When does the added evade result from a huge ship's Reinforce token happen? Is it during Defender Modifies Defense Dice? Or is it a special thing like C-3PO that happens before normal modification? I'm wondering if it's around to be modified by cards like Zuckuss and Juke.

C-3PO is just a special thing since the effect happens before and resolves after rolling dice. Reinforce token adds the evade result during the "Modify Defense Dice" step just like an evade token, but is not spent.
Edited by digitalbusker
The spoiler tag worked.

I'm starting to get some email responses as well. Nothing that isn't dealt with by the FAQ yet though.

I'll update the thread later, the new forum makes doing anything with multiple spoiler tags in one post get all wonky.

Got an excellent email regarding Backdraft. If you've an enemy in both arcs and shoot from both arcs, you get to add a crit to each roll. 

Rules Question:
Good afternoon grateful for clarity on Backdrafts pilot ability in a rare circumstance. Backdrafts pilot ability reads:When attacking a ship inside your auxillary firing arc, you may add 1 [critical] result. In the rare instances where Backdraft pulls alongside a large based ship and has it in both front and rear arc, does he add a critical result to the attack from the front attack and rear attack? Confusion has risen as the ability states that you add a critical result when attacking something that is IN your rear arc, not when attacking FROM your rear arc. Many thanks, Chris
That is correct. Although you may be attacking from your primary firing arc, since the ship is inside your auxiliary firing arc, you would get to add a critical result from attacks from either firing arc.

Thanks for playing,

Frank Brooks
Associate Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

Got this one about the interaction between Jendon and the Tie V1 title which I don't remember sending in. I'm going to assume I was asking for someone else as I wouldn't have thought it worked the way I was suggesting below XD... 

Rules Question:
Hi, grateful for a clarification on the below: If Colonel Jendon passes his blue token to the the Inquisitor with the Tie/V1 title, does this trigger the titles ability (to perform a free evade action?) There is confusion as the Tie v/1 title says you get the free evade "when you aquire a target lock" and not when you perform a target lock action. Does getting passed a blue target lock token count as acquiring a target lock? Many thanks, Chris
Being assigned a blue target lock token is not the same thing as “acquiring a target lock.” Acquiring a target lock is the action of chasing a ship and assigning it a red target lock and assigning you a blue target lock token. If Colonel Jendon assigns a blue target lock token to a ship with TIE/v1, that ship does not perform a free evade action.

Thanks for playing,

Frank Brooks
Fantasy Flight Games

Rules Question:
A ship with the Stunned Pilot crit ends its move touching a ship, and on a Debris Cloud. How much damage does it take from the Stunned Pilot crit?

Stunned Pilot would deal 1 damage from touching another ship and deal 1 damage from the debris cloud. You would also roll for damage from the obstacle as well.

Thanks for playing,

Frank Brooks

7 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Rules Question:
A ship with the Stunned Pilot crit ends its move touching a ship, and on a Debris Cloud. How much damage does it take from the Stunned Pilot crit?

Stunned Pilot would deal 1 damage from touching another ship and deal 1 damage from the debris cloud. You would also roll for damage from the obstacle as well.

Thanks for playing,

Frank Brooks

What!? Am I referencing the wrong wording of Stunned Pilot, here? Because I think it says "After you execute a maneuver that causes you to overlap either another ship or obstacle token, suffer 1 damage." and I can't figure out how you read that and think it makes sense to deal one damage for each of the two parts of the "or" clause.

Got some replies from Frank, but, of course, he skipped the Targeting Synchronizer email to answer the ones that were covered in the FAQ instead. Makes me wonder if they are now realizing they need a big FAQ update to define what a game effect is.

Also not sure if this is a concern anymore, but he says the new FAQ clarifies that the U-wing cant use its pivot wing title when revealing a red when stressed.

Edited by Kdubb

4 hours ago, digitalbusker said:

What!? Am I referencing the wrong wording of Stunned Pilot, here? Because I think it says "After you execute a maneuver that causes you to overlap either another ship or obstacle token, suffer 1 damage." and I can't figure out how you read that and think it makes sense to deal one damage for each of the two parts of the "or" clause.

It depends on which damage deck you are using perhaps? The wording is different.

Original Core Set: 

Stunned Pilot (Pilot): After you execute a maneuver that causes you to overlap either another ship or obstacle token, suffer 1 damage.

TFA Core Set:

Stunned Pilot (Pilot): After you execute a maneuver, if you are touching another ship or overlapping an obstacle token, suffer 1 damage.

5 hours ago, digitalbusker said:

Because this is the same guy that said we couldn't gonk twice with experimental interface even though it's explicitely 2 different action headers on the card :P

On the interaction between the Illicit Cloaking Device and Cikatro Vizago:

Hello Wayde,

Rules Question:
Hello, My question relates to a crew upgrade that was recently spoiled for x-wing: Cikatro Vizago. If you start a game with a Cloaking Device equipped in the illicit slot, cloak on your first turn, then use Cikatro Vizago to swap the cloaking device out for a different upgrade, do you stay cloaked? And if you stay cloaked, do you need to continue to roll the die to remain in a cloaked state? Thanks! Wayde
The effect on Cloaking Device that requires you to roll is no longer equipped to the ship so you wouldn’t. That ship would stay cloaked until you choose to decloak.

Thanks for playing,

Frank Brooks
Fantasy Flight Games

4 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Answering questions on unreleased material?  Wow, they don't normally do that.

I guess that technically the question that was asked was 'If the Cloaking Device Illicit upgrade gets discarded by a game effect while the ship it is on is cloaked, do you need to continue to check for failure?". Interactions specific to Vizago didn't really factor into the actual question as the vehicle for discarding the card used in the example doesn't really factor into what the answer would be.

19 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Answering questions on unreleased material?  Wow, they don't normally do that.

The question was about released and unreleased. I bet that had Frank wondering if he should answer it or not. :)

13 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

I guess that technically the question that was asked was 'If the Cloaking Device Illicit upgrade gets discarded by a game effect while the ship it is on is cloaked, do you need to continue to check for failure?". Interactions specific to Vizago didn't really factor into the actual question as the vehicle for discarding the card used in the example doesn't really factor into what the answer would be.

Yeah, I suppose you could just as well have asked 'if I use Boba Fett crew to remove the Cloaking Device from a cloaked ship, what happens'.

3 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Yeah, I suppose you could just as well have asked 'if I use Boba Fett crew to remove the Cloaking Device from a cloaked ship, what happens'.

Which I did as a round about way in an attempt to get a ruling on Vizago + cloaking Device, and got the same answer. :)

21 hours ago, Kdubb said:

Also not sure if this is a concern anymore, but he says the new FAQ clarifies that the U-wing cant use its pivot wing title when revealing a red when stressed.

Is this because the Pivot Wing Title can't be resolved because it doesn't change the manoeuvre? I've been running a U Wing with Hera crew and I'm trying to fins out if it's legal!

47 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Is this because the Pivot Wing Title can't be resolved because it doesn't change the manoeuvre? I've been running a U Wing with Hera crew and I'm trying to fins out if it's legal!

Sorry I should have clarified. You can't use the title to flip the uwing and THEN do a 2 straight as the "penalty" of revealing a red. Here is the email-

Hey FFG! A few rules questions for ya. Question 1- So the game now has players who reveal a red maneuver when they are stressed perform a white 2 straight. This creates an odd possibility with the U-wing with the pivot wing title in landing position as the wording on the title states "when you reveal a stop maneuver", and not when you perform. With this being the case, it seems if a player reveals a stop maneuver when they are stressed, and they choose to activate the title, they may flip their ship 180 degrees, and then perform a 2 straight as the "penalty" for revealing a red maneuver while stressed. Is this an available option to the player, or is there something I'm missing which disallows this from occurring?
1. As clarified in the latest FAQ, the only thing a stressed ship can do when it reveals its dial is resolve an ability that changes its maneuver. Therefore a stressed ship cannot use the effects of Pivot Wings if it reveals a red stationary maneuver.

Edited by Kdubb

13 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

Sorry I should have clarified. You can't use the title to flip the uwing and THEN do a 2 straight as the "penalty" of revealing a red. Here is the email-

Hey FFG! A few rules questions for ya. Question 1- So the game now has players who reveal a red maneuver when they are stressed perform a white 2 straight. This creates an odd possibility with the U-wing with the pivot wing title in landing position as the wording on the title states "when you reveal a stop maneuver", and not when you perform. With this being the case, it seems if a player reveals a stop maneuver when they are stressed, and they choose to activate the title, they may flip their ship 180 degrees, and then perform a 2 straight as the "penalty" for revealing a red maneuver while stressed. Is this an available option to the player, or is there something I'm missing which disallows this from occurring?
1. As clarified in the latest FAQ, the only thing a stressed ship can do when it reveals its dial is resolve an ability that changes its maneuver. Therefore a stressed ship cannot use the effects of Pivot Wings if it reveals a red stationary maneuver.

Thanks for that!

It still basically nullifies my list. I was running a U wing with Hera, Advanced Sensors, Push the Limit, Inspiring Recruit + Engine Upgrade.

Perform an action before revealing dial, Target Lock + Focus and take a stress.

Reveal Stop maneuver and flip around behind my opponent.

Clear double stress next turn.

Ah well, it was fun while I lasted!

Edited by irishthump

17 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Thanks for that!

It still basically nullifies my list. I was running a U wing with Hera, Advanced Sensors, Push the Limit, Inspiring Recruit + Engine Upgrade.

Perform an action before revealing dial, Target Lock + Focus and take a stress.

Reveal Stop maneuver and flip around behind my opponent.

Clear double stress next turn.

Ah well, it was fun while I lasted!

Hmm. I didn't consider the implications of the ruling on a Hera crewed Uwing.