WWHSD

FFG Email Ruling Collection

This thread is an attempt to make email rulings that get posted in other discusssion threads easier to locate. I'm going to make an attempt to keep this list updated as I see things pop up.

Please keep discussion of rulings out of this thread.   

If you have any rules question that you would like to submit to FFG, you may do so using FFG's Rules Question Form.

Youngster's ability can't be used with Experimental Interface.

Q: Does EI's "an equipped upgrade card" clause mean "equipped to you"? Can a TIE Fighter with Experimental Interface use EI to take the action on Youngster's Elite upgrade, assuming the two ships are in range and Youngster has an appropriate Elite upgrade equipped? Thanks in advance. This is a valuable service!

A: No. The friendly TIE fighter does not actually have the card equipped and therefore cannot use EI with them. That’s some creative thinking, but unfortunately does not work.

Q: If I have a ship with Proton Torpedoes and I have a target lock on a Rookie Pilot next to Biggs, and both Biggs and the Rookie Pilot are at range 3, can I use the proton torpedoes to attack the ship next to Biggs?

A: Yes. If you chose to use Proton Torpedoes (during step 1.ii of the Timing Chart for Performing an Attack), you cannot declare Biggs as the target of that attack, so his ability has no effect.

Q: Hello, I have a question regarding a combination of two cards: Drea Renthal (Scum Y-Wing pilot) and R4-B11 (Salvaged Astromech). 

For reference, this is the card text for each of them:
Drea Renthal: After you spend a target lock, you may receive 1 stress token to acquire a target lock. 
RR4-B11: When attacking, if you have a target lock on the defender, you may spend the target lock to choose any or all defense dice. The defender must reroll the chosen dice. 

Most of the time, you will be acquiring a target lock on the defender. However, consider the following scenario: There are two TIE Fighters (#1 and #2) As well as Drea. #1 has 1 hull remaining and is locked by Drea. She fires at him, and rolls 1 hit; then the TIE fighter rolls 2 Evade results. Drea player uses R4-B11 to force his opponent to reroll the evade results; The question is what comes first: The opponent re-rolling his dice or Drea's ability triggering to acquire a target lock. If
re-rolling happens first, the Drea player gets to see if he destroyed his target before deciding who he wants to acquire the target locK on. If the re-roll happens after acquiring the target locK, the Drea player has to guess. Thank you for your time, Kacper M.

A: R4-B11 would fully resolve before you get the chance to resolve any "after you spend a target lock" abilities. That way, you would see the outcome of rerolling defense dice before you choosing to resolve Drea's ability.

Q: Can Manaroo pass red targetlocks onto another ship when she passes focus, evade, and blue targetlock tokens assigned to her ship?

A: Yes, in fact if you choose to use her ability you must. When you use Manaroo’s ability, you assign all focus, evade, and target lock tokens (red and blue) to the friendly ship.

Q: Does Biggs force the use of abilities that would make him a legal target for an attack? 
Example 1: If a TIE Bomber with Deadeye and Proton Torpedoes has a focus and a target lock on an enemy ship that is in range 1 of Biggs (Biggs is in arc and at the same range as his buddy) does it have to use Deadeye to take the shot at Biggs instead of his target locked buddy? 
Example 2: If Major Rhymer has Deadeye and a focus and wants to fire cluster missiles at a target at range 2 while Biggs at range 3, is he forced to use his ability to extend the range to make Biggs a legal target?

A: Example 1: No. The TIE bomber could choose to not use the first effect of Deadeye (as it is a may effect to treat "Attack (target lock)" as Attack (focus)”). In that example, by choosing to use Proton Torpedoes, the only valid attack you have with that weapon is the other ship so Biggs’s ability does not come into effect.
Example 2: No. Again, the effect that would cause Rhymer to be able to attack Biggs is an optional effect (“may”). If you do not choose to use those effects, Biggs cannot be a valid target.
If you could attack Biggs instead of a ship at range 1 (via non-optional game effects) you cannot choose to attack the other ship.

Q: The Rules Reference (p.3) states the following: "A ship must skip its 'Perform Action' step if it overlapped another ship while executing a maneuver."
Does this rule apply in the following scenario?

1. Lando executes his maneuver
2. Lando's ability gives a free action to Tycho
3. Tycho performs Daredevil, executes a 1 hard left maneuver and overlaps a ship.
4. Other ships activate.
5. Tycho activates, and performs the maneuver on his dial. This maneuver does NOT cause him to overlap
6. Tycho performs his action??

Does Tycho get to perform his action?

A: A ship only skips its “Perform Action” step when it overlaps another ship during the “Execute Maneuver” step of the Activation phase. So Tyco would not skip his “Perform Action” step in your example.

Added 10/26/2016:

Q. Does Youngster work with TIE/SF?

A. Yes. Any ship with "TIE" and "fighter” in its name works with “Youngster’s” ability. 

Added 2/23/2017:

Kanan doesn't clear the stress from Daredevil (or ID)

Q: If a ship is equipped with both Kanan Jarrus (crew) and Daredevil, can it treat the "Then, receive one stress token" part of Daredevil's text as a triggered event with the same timing window as Kanan Jarrus and choose to resolve the stress assignment first, so Kanan has something to do? Or do you have to resolve anything that triggers off the maneuver before moving on to the next part of Daredevil?

A: When using Kanan with respect to Daredevil, Kanan would trigger after the ship executes the maneuver, but before the stress from Daredevil resolves. Kanan’s ability essentially interrupts the card effect or Daredevil.

Gunner and IG-88B both trigger when an attack does not hit.

Q:The newly-released IG-88-D crew allows a ship to (with a surviving IG-88-B pilot) fire a cannon after missing an attack roll. The Gunner crew allows a ship to fire its main weapon after missing an attack roll. Could a ship with a Cannon, a Gunner, and the necessary IG-88s miss its first attack and then trigger both add-on attacks, resolving them both, possibly causing a ship to hit with both its cannon and main weapon in the same turn? Or, does the "immediately" on Gunner imply that if it and the IG-88 ability are both triggered, the Gunner one must be chosen to resolve first, thereby preventing the ship from making any more attacks? thanks

A: As clarified in the latest FAQ, if you were do attack with a cannon and miss, both Gunner and IG-88B’s ability would trigger and when you get to step 9 of the timing chart you could chose to resolve one of them and then next time you get to step 9 you can resolve the other.

Edited by WWHSD
It looks like the conversion to the new forums ate some things and spoiler tags are all jacked up now.

Archived 4/26/2016:

Q: My question is regarding the timing of abilities that occur "After defending" and "After you perform an attack". Initially I assumed that these resolved at the same time, and so initiative would determine which abilities happen first. However, the recent FAQ update states that "If Valen Rudor defends against a ship equipped with Tactician, the range for Tactician is measured after Valen Rudor performs his free action." This implies that "After defending" abilities should be resolved before the attacker's "After you perform an attack" abilities, but I can't find anything (beside Rudor's FAQ) to support this.

A: The timing window of “after defending” and “after you perform an attack” are the same timing window. When multiple effects occur at the same time, the order is resolved with the player with initiative resolving his or her effect first, then the other player. The Valen Rudor example is an exception to this by giving an explicit resolution to this timing window.

Boba Fett Crew can trigger from indirect damage that occurs during an attack. (Response from Wade from Organized Play) Included in FAQ [v4.1.2]

Q:  Does the Boba Fett crew card trigger when dealt a crit from an asteroid.  For instance, if Fett is on a ship with Tractor Beam, and Boba Fett's ship pushes an enemy ship onto an asteroid or debris field.  After the enemy ship rolls a crit due to overlapping the obstacle, can I trigger Boba Fett's crew ability?

A: Yes. Boba Fett’s ability is merely based off of the ship suffering a faceup Damage card, the source is unspecified. 

As above. The attack, nor the attacker’s ability needs to cause the damage. In fact, the defender might have an ability that they use during the attack that causes them to suffer a faceup damage. (I’m unaware of any of those at this time, but there might already be one).

Archived 7/1/2016:

No double-gonking. Overruled by FAQ [v.4.2.1]

Q: Hi X-wing Miniatures rules question: The new 'Gonk' card has two possible effects on it. Can both actions be used in the same turn via Experimental Interface? Or is the action 'Gonk', preventing it being used twice under the 'same action' rule.

A: You are correct, since both actions are “Gonk” actions, you cannot do both (add and remove) actions during the same round.

Undocking ships may K-Turn Included in FAQ [v.4.2.1]

Q: Can the Phantom perform a K-turn when undocking? The undocking rules specify "rear guides of the docked ship" which leads me to believe that it cannot do a K-turn when undocking. Thanks! 3. Take the docked ship and place it at the opposite end of the template, sliding the rear guides of the docked ship into the opposite end of the template. This counts as a maneuver. If this maneuver causes the docked ship to overlap an obstacle or another ship, it follows the normal rules for overlapping. If this causes a situation in which the docked ship cannot be placed in the play area, the docked ship is destroyed.

A: The use of the language of “rear guides” is the same language used when explaining how to execute a maneuver. Some maneuvers (such as Koiogran turns) break this rule and use the front guides instead. A deploying ship can choose any maneuver on their dial.

Torpedoes on VCX-100 use printed ranges   Included in FAQ [v.4.2.1]

Q:The rules insert for the VCX-100 includes rules for the new "Special Arc" icon: "When attacking with a (Torpedoes) secondary weapon, a ship with this icon may attack an enemy ship that is at Range 1-3 and inside it's standard or special firing arc." Does this override the range printed on Torpedo upgrade cards allowing the VCX-100 to fire all Torpedoes at ranges 1-3?

A: The range restrictions for torpedo secondary weapons still apply.

Omega Leader stops R7 Included in FAQ [v.4.2.1]

Q: Omega Leader is fighting Tarn Mison. Tarn has an R7 Astromech equipped. Omega Leader has a Target Lock on Tarn and is attacking him. Tarn's ability grants him a Target Lock on Omega Leader. Omega leader rolls "hit, hit". Tarn wants use the ability granted by R7 to spend his Target Lock to force Omega Leader to reroll his dice. Can Tarn do this or is the reroll considered to be a modification performed by Tarn (and thus prohibited by Omega Leader's ability)? R7 Astromech: "Once per round when defending, if you have a target lock on the attacker, you may spend the target lock to choose any or all attack dice. The attacker must reroll the chosen dice." The wording on the R7 Astromech would seem to imply that the the Defender is forcing the Attacker to modify their own dice. Omega Leader: "Enemy ships that you have locked cannot modify any dice when attacking you or defending against your attacks." Omega Leader's ability only prevents his targeted ship from modifying dice. It would seem to me that Omega Leader is unable to prevent R7 from forcing a reroll.

A: No abilities that involve rerolling your opponent’s dice have you roll them. Instead, we only phrase it with you choosing dice and your opponent rolling them. This is you modifying your opponents dice even though he or she is the one physically rolling the dice. So you cannot use R7 to modify “Omega Leader’s” attack dice.

Q: After performing an Attack vs After Defending. Have a question about these two timing windows. When exactly is 'after defending' vs 'after you perform an attack' Because now in X-Wing we have ships that do something after defending and some that do something after performing an attack. But sometimes they may conflict with each other or impact each other.

A: The timing window of “after defending” and “after you perform an attack” are the same timing window. When multiple effects occur at the same time, the order is resolved with the player with initiative resolving his or her effect first, then the other player.

Q: Situation: Zeb crew card on a Ghost with docked Phantom shuttle. Can the Ghost attack a touching ship using the extra turret attack granted by the Phantom title at the end of the combat phase. General Question: Is performing an attack synonymous with activating?

A: No to both. “When either you or they activate during the Combat phase” is specifically when those ships become the active ship during the Combat phase. Those ships are not [sic] considered touching during any other attacks outside of their Combat phase activation. This means that the Phantom’s attack at the end of the Combat phase, Corran Horn’s ability, Dengar’s ability, and for any other attacks outside of your activation, you count as touching.

Q: Hi there! Quick question about Omega Leader's ability. Are abilities that force Omega to modify his own dice, specifically Zuckuss (crew) and R7 Astromech, able to trigger on Omega Leader if he has the ship with that ability target locked? It is a dice modification, but is it actually the target doing the modifying, or is it Omega Leader since he is the one rerolling the dice? Appreciate the help, keep up the great work!

A: No abilities that involve rerolling your opponent’s dice have you roll them. Instead, we only phrase it with you choosing dice and your opponent rolling them. This is you modifying your opponents dice even though he or she is the one physically rolling the dice. So you cannot use Zuckuss (Crew), R7 Astromech, R4-B11, Juke, Elusiveness, or any other game effect that causes your opponent to reroll dice to modify “Omega Leader’s” dice.

Archived 10/18/2016:

Q: I read the new FAQ on X-wing miniatures and have, been part of a discussion on the new Tractor Beam section. The card reads: "This is not an action or a maneuver, and can cause the ship to overlap obstacles (but not other ships). The ship suffers the effect of any obstacle it overlaps." This is some dispute due to wording if attack dice are rolled similar to the activation phase(for both asteroid & debris). Because the roll for damage step is performed after, the skip action, and if you are barrel rolled or boosted onto an obstacle from tractor beam, you do not perform these steps. I have a store championship next weekend, and have a tractor beam build, so i was wanting some clarification, if i tractor beam someone onto an obstacle, do the roll for damage, some believe you wouldn't due to how its worded and order or operations. Thank you for you time and input, it is appreciated.

A: The ship suffers the effect of overlapping the obstacle after it finishes the movement. This may cause a ship to suffer damage and/or receive a stress token.

Edited by WWHSD

I like the links too because there we get the fun of 'the (as close to as we have currently) official ruling says x' followed closely by the desenting 'well Frank gets things wrong sometimes' engendering pages more of argument for almost no purpose.

I got scolded for not following standard operating procedure but there is this I just got yesterday:

Hello Zachary,

In the future, please do not send me questions directly, please submit your questions though the website. This is mainly for data tracking and if I no longer am in charge of answering rules questions, the question is sent to the correct person.

In response to your rules question:
Good Afternoon,

Our X-Wing Miniatures Group is hosting an Epic tournament on 
April 2nd
 and, now that Wave 8 
and
 the new FAQ have been released we are left with one burning question:

Can players dock TIE Adv. Prototypes to the Imperial Assault Carrier?

As of right now, you cannot equip a TIE Adv. Prototype to the Imperial Assault Carrier.

Thanks for playing,

Frank Brooks
Associate Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

The information contained in this electronic message is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient named above. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

You may also want to grab the email regarding Boba Fett:https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/205732-tractor-beam-and-obstacles/page-5#entry2121054

The sender was apparently Wayde, not Frank.

I'm hesitant to include anything but responses received from questions submitted through the support page.

Yeah that seems a little sketchy to cite as "official".

You may also want to grab the email regarding Boba Fett:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/205732-tractor-beam-and-obstacles/page-5#entry2121054

I'm hesitant to include anything but responses received from questions submitted through the support page. 

Smells like playing gatekeeper to me. If it turns out to be bunk, just remove it later.  :P

You may also want to grab the email regarding Boba Fett:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/205732-tractor-beam-and-obstacles/page-5#entry2121054

Smells like playing gatekeeper to me. If it turns out to be bunk, just remove it later.  :P

I've already added it to the list but tagged it as being from Wade. It's not as much about playing gatekeeper as it is about limiting the scope of what I include. I don't want to start tracking everything that an FFG employee posts to Facebook group or other forums, or mentions on a podcast or while talking to a player.

Your very first answer is off a Facebook page without a link...
The initial list I put together was for a purpose other than creating this thread. I wasn't looking for anything other than recent rulings that were being referred to in that other thread.

The entry that you mention (regarding Double Gonking) is not from a conversation that Frank or Alex had on Facebook, which is the sort of stuff I am wanting to avoid. It was an email from FFG that the poster had seen posted to Facebook. I would prefer to have the person that received the email be the one that posts it.

I'm definitely open to input on what sort of responses I include here. Having a clear set of guidelines for what does or does not get added to the list adds some transparency and allows people to have some confidence that this isn't just a list of the rules clarifications that I happen to agree with. I'm not sure what the best method to get useful community input and consensus is. I don't want to delay tracking responses and would like to avoid this thread turning into 10 pages of people arguing about how things should be done.

Edited by WWHSD

Has anyone else noticed that Frank has started adding this disclaimer when he answers rules specific questions from an individual player?

"The information contained in this electronic message is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient named above. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.”

What does he mean? Should we not use his responses to arbitrate a perceived rules discrepancy? 

​How do the top rated TO's arbitrate perceived rules discrepancies?

Edited by joliversc