Sign in to follow this  
RogerWilco15

Most Defensive Ship?

In a 1vs1 Omega Leader is also a tricky contender with that target lock shenanigans! He's no Fel (who is), but he can take a hit and plink away dealing out consistent damage quite nicely when matched with Juke/Comm Relay.  

You should see Red Ace one-on-one, nothing can kill him unless you somehow have consistently 5 attack dice.

Not just one on one. I had Red Ace against a pair of headhunters a couple of days ago. It took a few turns but the outcome was never really in question.

Regen Poe is not quite as tough but has more offensive punch.

Guri/Cloak/Lone Wolf/Sensor Jammer/Autothrusters I think might actually edge out Soontir entirely solo, but Soontir with Palp support is easily harder to kill.  Guri because, primarily, Sensor Jammer doesn't fall off when she takes an initial hit, and she's a little more resistant to bumping and to the autodamaging hard counters.

But she struggles a lot more to put guns on target than Soonts.

And she really shows how badly overpriced she is when you consider that that setup even without the cloak is 4 points more than Soontir, for 4 points less pilot skill and no option to take an Evade action.  In exchange she gets a fundamentally very similar pilot ability, TL, and a Torp slot plus a hit point and a shield and a worse dial.

The mechanics of X-Wing are a bit strange when you think about it. Normally defensive ships such as Y-Wings, K-Wings and Bigger are actually pretty squishy because while they have a lot of hitpoints, they have little to no armor.

Evade Dice are armor....

So all the ships you'd normally expect to survive by mobility alone actually survive by mobility and the strongest armor in the game....

For reference, as apparently people forgot, 1 focus changes all of your eyeballs to evades on defense. This shocking realization shows that wow, I was right, soontir fel is equally as defensive as any other interceptor with focus evade thrusters and stealth. Turns out double focus doesn't matter for defense, shocking.

No other Interceptor has PTL and PS9 ;-)

I think no other interceptor has access to an evade and focus token, while still being able to boost or barrel roll. 

Though in general I would say: Focus rarely matters for defense on Fel in general, because he just boosts/rolls outside of arc of most potential attackers. 

You should see Red Ace one-on-one, nothing can kill him unless you somehow have consistently 5 attack dice.

Fcs Corran can kill red ace pretty easily. Takes about 4 turns, but it's reliable.

You just double-tap a few times and eventually you'll nibble the hull down where a double-tap pulls off the last hull.

Yeah, any burst damage takes down Red Ace very easily.  Sure, you get an evade and a shield back, but if I do 2 hits of 4 damage each, you still die.  WHereas Soontir probably ignores it entirely.

That Corran would have real difficulty with TLTs and not have an easy time with turrets generally.

Guri with Sensor Jammer, cloaking device and stygium is a pretty effective and useful ship.

Stygium vs Autothrusters is a tricky call, and I can see the benefits to both.  Sure Guri wants to be at range one.  But Autothrusters helps against out-of-arc attacks, and you don't lose it if you're not using the cloaking device.

Either way she probably enjoys Lone Wolf as well!

Yeah, any burst damage takes down Red Ace very easily.  Sure, you get an evade and a shield back, but if I do 2 hits of 4 damage each, you still die.  WHereas Soontir probably ignores it entirely.

That Corran would have real difficulty with TLTs and not have an easy time with turrets generally.

Maybe 4 TLT's, but that Corran should never die to turrets. He just bumps. And advanced sensors engine means he can go wherever he wants. Against 2 tlt's he can range one and regen the small damage from the other.

For reference, as apparently people forgot, 1 focus changes all of your eyeballs to evades on defense. This shocking realization shows that wow, I was right, soontir fel is equally as defensive as any other interceptor with focus evade thrusters and stealth. Turns out double focus doesn't matter for defense, shocking.

What's even more shocking is the fact that you did not account for situations where there could be more than just 1 ship shooting back at Soontir. Surprise!

plus the fact that you can use that one extra focus to modify his attack if it turns out only 1 ship is firing at him

It's not just the fact that you can stack 2 Focuses and an Evade. That free focus allows you to perform boosts and barrel rolls one normally wouldn't do with a regular PtL Interceptor.

It's not /just/ an extra focus token, his ability buffs PtL so you get 3 actions a turn. Now it isn't 2 hard green, focus and evade to be safe. It's 2 hard green, a boost, an evade, and a free focus.

So you get free arc dodges while being able to maintain defense. A Royal Guard with PtL that does a boost and BR is rolling naked dice. So yes, Soontir is much better than your average PtL ace.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

Guri with Sensor Jammer, cloaking device and stygium is a pretty effective and useful ship.

Stygium vs Autothrusters is a tricky call, and I can see the benefits to both.  Sure Guri wants to be at range one.  But Autothrusters helps against out-of-arc attacks, and you don't lose it if you're not using the cloaking device.

Either way she probably enjoys Lone Wolf as well!

Not a difficult call at all.  Stygium has every chance of being entirely irrelevant - IME playing with the Cloak, I usually wind up using it once per game, then it either breaks or I'm getting shots every turn until I either win or die.  Without multiple cloaking ships (i.e. like generic phantoms) or ACD, Cloak is comparatively infrequently useful, so Stygium is a very poor investment.

Until he rolls lots of blanks and gets shot down by Corran from full hull in a single turn. :)

So yeah, when Fel's Luck runs out, you are really out of luck, until then he is often untouched. 

Something I wanted to point out is that a lot of these tanky ships either:

A) cost a lot

B) have almost hard counters

C) sacrifice offensive power to get so tanky

D) are far from traditional builds on these ships (not necessarily a bad thing)

or

E) some combination of the above

Soontir is none of them. Ok, he has a hard counter now (autocorrect ghost, and an argument can be made for feedback array or bombs) but that requires range one, and Soontir will be at range 1 only if the Soontir player allows it (unless you can block him, which in my experience has not been easy). That hard counter also requires building the most expensive baseline rebel ship (heck, just the VCX is the second most expensive baseline ship in the game, and you need the shuttle for this combo - so it beats the decimator out) in a specific way to beat one pilot (ok, it does well against any 3-4 health ship, but anti-Soontir is the main reason). What other pilot in the game makes people look at a bare minimum of 58 points to MAYBE wipe him out and then say, "yeah, that may be a good idea."

Let's also not forget that a player took Soontir (JUST Soontir - 65 point initiative bid) to worlds and placed in the top 50%. I mean, ****. I can't think of any single ship south of 40 points that could win 1 game against worlds caliber players, much less something like 60% of the games played. Maybe Poe?

Anyway, the fact remains is that if you can tag Soontir, he will feel it. There will come a time when your dice are hot and his are not, and you will one shot him. It's vanishingly rare, but it can happen.

Meanwhile, if we are allowing for outside assistance, Xizor with cloaking device, sensor jammer and autothrusters with a buddy nearby (like a mando merc with bodyguard) maybe be among the toughest to take down. That's 6 evade dice at range 1-2, 7 at range 3 or obstructed, 8 with range 3 and obstructed, and if SOMETHING gets through, the firespray eats it.

As could Kanan with threepio, lando and sensor jammers.

Edited by FatherTurin

IGs C and B with mindlink, advanced sensors and autothruster (fill the rest with your choice).  The "main target" can find itself having an easy time bumping you or moving far away with a focus and evade token banked.  Add the 4 hull and shields and this becomes a ship that takes a while to take down.

Edited by dotswarlock

I doubt you can do better than this:

Ezra Bridger (20)
Push the Limit (3)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Jan Ors (2)
Stealth Device (3)

With PTL + Jan Ors, you can get 2 evade tokens.

Chance to have at least:

1 Evade: 100%
2 Evade: 100%
3 Evade: 94.73%
4 Evade: 68.36%
5 Evade: 43.95%

Until he rolls lots of blanks and gets shot down by Corran from full hull in a single turn. :)

So yeah, when Fel's Luck runs out, you are really out of luck, until then he is often untouched. 

It almost always takes multiple shots in the same turn to do for Soontir, which makes assessing how tough ships are to kill difficult - is it how easily they can avoid being hit by a single shot?  In that case, Soontir wins hands down.  Is it how much being hit by a single shot cripples them?  The VCX100 is the best here, there's only one vanishingly unlikely combination of things that can cause it to burn all its shields and take a crit in a single shot.  Is it how resistant they are to a continued pounding in a single turn?  Guri is probably queen of that.  Does it take into account how likely they are to even be shot at at all?  VI Vader is the king of keeping out of arc.

(Maths-wise unless you're screwing with his ability to modify dice, fully turtled focus/focus/evade Soontir, will have something like a 15% chance to take a hit against 4 hit or crit results IIRC, and it goes down to something like 5% if he's getting Autothrusters.  Soontir is HARD to hit, and can usually take a couple of shots before his stack runs out - of course, the wrong roll does happen, and he does explode violently when it does, but that's the fickle nature of relying on green dice for you - whereas the likes of Guri often have a higher chance to weather more shots because Lone Wolf and Sensor Jammer work against every attack, and SJ in particular gets more effective the more shots an opponent takes, because the more they shoot, the less focus tokens they have left...)

Edited by thespaceinvader

I doubt you can do better than this:

Ezra Bridger (20)

Push the Limit (3)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Jan Ors (2)
Stealth Device (3)

With PTL + Jan Ors, you can get 2 evade tokens.

Chance to have at least:

1 Evade: 100%

2 Evade: 100%

3 Evade: 94.73%

4 Evade: 68.36%

5 Evade: 43.95%

I tend to prefer Kanan crew for Ezra, though, because it opens up his dial. Shuttle greens are pretty awful, otherwise. Getting Ezra out of dodge AND still able to fire TLT is worth more than Jan's evade, imo.

Nien Numb is ok in a pinch. Better on Hera, though.