Sign in to follow this  
Tsiegtiez

Utterly Baffling

Got my shipment of shiny and new (no chrome...yet) and I've been theorycrafting with as many of the new upgrades as possible. I'm hoping to get some games in soon, but the single upgrade I can't really place so far has been the Electronic Baffle.

Swx41_electronic-baffle.png

Has anyone run it yet? There's a solid number of ships that can take the Baffle but which of them really want to take it? Is it insurance? Or is it elementary to a squad design?

So far the most Baffling thing I've been able to throw together has been:

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Ion Projector (2)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Ion Projector (2)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Ion Projector (2)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Ion Projector (2)

Total: 100

I feel like being able to Stop and force a bump (on something that may well get ionised and have to bump again) is already pretty potent, but being able to discard the Stress token, take a TL, and be able to Stop again the following round (or 2-Turn, even! With shuttles!) is an exciting prospect.

Anyone have any builds that have incorporated or been improved by the Baffle?

if you forgo the Isard, you can:

A) Add tractors to your cows, allowing for 3,2,1 r1 shots at -1,2,3 (respectively) agility

B) Add a single tractor, and a single Ion cannon

C) take two ion projectors off, fly them in a giant cow box formation, Tractor on the two with Projectors, and Tacticians on the ones in the back without them. as the large ship base will encompass all of R1 its assured R2 shot. limiting their choices if they want to de-stress

D) yell WITNESS ME SHINY AND ALABASTER ///\\\

also side note, as a MTG (vaguely) player the way i see it a 0 Stop for 1 damage, and an action is the equivalent of lose health draw a card, and absolutely worth it. wait for the R3's ion/tractor them in, and take advantage of them.

Edited by Panic 217

Aside from Lambdas, I could see it on B-wings and G1As.  Getting multiple red moves in a row can be pretty big.  Also consider that with TIE/Ds upcoming, Ion is going to be thrown around a lot more liberally.  Having a cheap upgrade available as a meta counter to ensure that your low AGI stuff is not trivially locked in place could be the difference between winning and losing.  From a squad building point of view, B-wings or G1As packing these things really like lurking around big debris fields.  They don't worry about the 1/8 chance of extra damage, and can use the action advantage to punish enemy ships that get stressed by the debris.  All those little things together add up to make it an interesting choice for 1 point.  

Electronic baffle is a great card for lambdas and a solid card for things with high hp, lots of red and a system slot. If you use it once per game even to get either an extra turn of lambda stoppage or an action after a bwing kturns it's worth the minimal 1 point cost pretty easily.

It also helps the palp shuttle be even more annoying by sitting still for several turns in a row or getting back into the fight faster.

If you want a 4 lambda baffle list I think the strongest one is 4x baffle tactician tractor beam shuttles as has been theorized a few times.

And while it feels really good on a Lambda, I can't think of anywhere else to put it. Doubling down on Lothal Rebel VCXs maybe? Three Blue B-Wings? Predatory Brobots?!

Baffle only costs a point, but where is it more worthwhile than other Sensor upgrades? Most of the time I convince myself the bump to FCS is worth it, but I'm starting to wonder if the unpredictability of the Baffle is going to make it a sleeper hit.

---------------------------

I can see a ship with shield regen want this.  Ghost with R2-D2 or maybe G-1A with Gonk might want it.  I think if you face control lists and really really want your important ship to get actions, it would be worth it.  

Gonk seems like a stupidly good combo there. GONK with EI on a Baffled 4-L0M? Get your Regen even with a K-Turn or 3-Bank when you really need it?

if you forgo the Isard, you can:

A) Add tractors to your cows, allowing for 3,2,1 r1 shots at -1,2,3 (respectively) agility

B) Add a single tractor, and a single Ion cannon

C) take two ion projectors off, fly them in a giant cow box formation, Tractor on the two with Projectors, and Tacticians on the ones in the back without them. as the large ship base will encompass all of R1 its assured R2 shot. limiting their choices if they want to de-stress

D) yell WITNESS ME SHINY AND ALABASTER ///\\\

Isard was there to make a healthy list even healthier but I am VERY intrigued by adding four tractor beams (upgrade from cows to oxen? Dysentery? Oregon? What?).

But that Tractor/Projector pair with a pair of Tacticians in the other pair seems ruthless and evil. Noice. Gonna have to try that one.

Aside from Lambdas, I could see it on B-wings and G1As.  Getting multiple red moves in a row can be pretty big.  Also consider that with TIE/Ds upcoming, Ion is going to be thrown around a lot more liberally.  Having a cheap upgrade available as a meta counter to ensure that your low AGI stuff is not trivially locked in place could be the difference between winning and losing.  From a squad building point of view, B-wings or G1As packing these things really like lurking around big debris fields.  They don't worry about the 1/8 chance of extra damage, and can use the action advantage to punish enemy ships that get stressed by the debris.  All those little things together add up to make it an interesting choice for 1 point.  

That is an excellent couple of points. Multiple red turns will really shake things up for the bruisers like the B-Wing and the G-1A. In fact,

Ruthless Freelancer (23)
Outlaw Tech (2)
Electronic Baffle (1)
for a paltry 26 points can 1-Turn or K-Turn, get their OT Focus, and then Baffle for a TL or Evade. That seems cruel.

But I can't believe I forgot about the surplus of Ions coming with the TIE/D; having even some resistance to that will be a huge thing to keep in your back pocket.

Captain.  Yorr.

Remove ALL the stress from your squad, then explode your own ship with it.

Rexler Brath

Rage

"Mango" Cannon

MK2 (in case)

Yorr

Baffle

Rebel Captive

OL

Juke Comms

SD

witness the 4k shiny and white

So uh yeah turns out my body isn't ready for the BaffleBots

IG-88A (36)
Predator (3)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

IG-88B (36)
Predator (3)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

The thought of an Aggressor taking a 3-Sloop or 4-K and then Boosting into my face is going to haunt my dreams now. I brought this on myself.

IG-88A (36)

Predator (3)

Electronic Baffle (1)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Inertial Dampeners (1)

Autothrusters (2)

IG-2000 (0)

IG-88B (36)

Predator (3)

Electronic Baffle (1)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Inertial Dampeners (1)

Autothrusters (2)

IG-2000 (0)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

The thought of an Aggressor taking a 3-Sloop or 4-K and then Boosting into my face is going to haunt my dreams now. I brought this on myself.

Or sitting still with dampener then still taking an action

IG-88A (36)
Predator (3)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

IG-88B (36)
Predator (3)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

if you're going to take Bafflebots it is only natural to take IG-D he's made for Baffle.

I feel like Adv. Sensors and Engine Upgrade is better for Lambdas that really want to get back into the action because you can boost and then 2 hard turn to move up there.   Still, that's a lot of points.  

I wonder, though, what action you might really want on a Lambda enough to take the damage?  I do think of Fleet Officer.  That might work.  Or...even take the damage and remove the stress right away because you know you want to 0 stop.  

Oh....continually getting a 0 stop for 1 damage a turn!   Duh....why didn't I think of that before.  I'm sure that's what everyone meant with Lambda liking it.  

I feel like Adv. Sensors and Engine Upgrade is better for Lambdas that really want to get back into the action because you can boost and then 2 hard turn to move up there.   Still, that's a lot of points.  

I wonder, though, what action you might really want on a Lambda enough to take the damage?  I do think of Fleet Officer.  That might work.  Or...even take the damage and remove the stress right away because you know you want to 0 stop.  

Oh....continually getting a 0 stop for 1 damage a turn!   Duh....why didn't I think of that before.  I'm sure that's what everyone meant with Lambda liking it.  

Also, the ability to turn around like a person.

The engine+sensor route not only costs 7 points vs 1 it also isn't actually as good imo. Turning around with 2 hard 2's seems much better than boost+hard 2+green maneuver which still takes 2 turns, costs more points, and takes a lot more space. Baffle also provides options like stopping then hard 2 the next turn or vice versa which is a lot of trickery from a space bovine.

I'm just gonna leave this and this over here....

I remember those threads.... maybe thats why i suggested what i did at the top...

I'm just gonna leave this and this over here....

.....welp. Missed those.

No worries. I view threads like this as validations, and link to the older threads merely as a way of copy/pasting the conversations into the related discussions :)

Like, at the time I made those, Gonk hadn't been spoiled yet.