Sign in to follow this  
goncardoso

What's the best to start.. ?

Get to original Core Set for all the bits and an X-Wing.

Buy another X-Wing expansion and the Millennium Falcon Expansion.

Fly:

2x Rookie Pilot (42)

Han Solo + Millenium Falcon (title) + Chewbacca (Crew) + Luke Skywalker (Crew) (58)

This is by far the easiest and most thematic list to start with.

I would say original starter and something like ObiWonka's suggestion.  You wont be winning a store championship with it but you will have fun, learn a lot, and see where you want to go with the game.

Once you have a few games under your belt, there are lots of apps out there that help you build squads.  Some (like X-wing Squadron Builder) let you explore the contents of all the expansions and help you decide what to get next.

BEWARE:  Starter set implies expansions.

WARNING:  As others have called it 'plastic crack' the FDA, CNN, CIA, ABC, Sad Puppies, NSA, FOX, DEA and the Surgeon General require you to be forewarned.  The game is fun and may lead you to attempting to collect all the expansions or like some of these fellows... multiples of each.

Edited by Cr0aker

Before getting into the competitive aspect of the game, you'll need to focus on what you like to fly. Also, your budget will determine what expansions to get and in what order. I say start with the Original Core Set (Luke Skywalker starter). Then get some games where you fly both the X-Wing and the TIE's. This will give you an estimate on what you like. This is important because if you like your list, it'll be easier to learn how to use it. If you like fast and maneuverable ships, you can start getting TIE Interceptors. Or if you want to try turrets, the Falcon is a classic.

While the 3 factions share similar characteristics, they have their own distinct style. Empire places importance on higher numbers and nimble ships. The Rebels like their regeneration abilities and like to work together. The Scum is all about tricks and trolling your opponent.

The recommendations given above are pretty good. Just remember to be patient; you won't get good at X-Wing overnight. Enjoy the process and if any questions come up, don't be hesitate to ask!

1. Go to your nearest FLGS

2. Get the new or old core set, whichever works.

3. Look at the expansions. Grab any ships that caught your attention (Whether it's due to design, the history or whatever)

4. Play with the core set a few times. then play with the expansions you bought.

You can make all ships competitive. Some takes higher learning curve than others, but most are competitively viable. Fly the ships that you like the most, for whatever reason you have.

Rule #1

Fly what you like.

That being said, I would respectfully suggest that you buy the TFA/Blue/Poe Core as your starting point. You get one of the most effective Rebel pilots today and you get the updated damage deck. In my opinion, the T-70 X-wing is simply a better ship than the original X-wing in almost every way. Likewise, the new TIE/fo fighters have some substantial improvements over the original, although both are still played regularly.

Good Luck and welcome to the addiction.

Both core sets. Yes, you'll need another ship of some description to fill out the rest of any list, but you've got a diverse set of pilots and ships between them. You won't get anything competitive out of the box, but with Poe and Luke available to you with R2D2 and BB8, you've got a really strong starting point for Rebels. The TIE Fighters and /fos for the Imperial side are the backbone of a solid Imperial list, too.

I couldn't recommend this more.

For now I'd say:

1. Get both core sets (Old and TFA) - you can now field 2 rebel ships and 4 imperial ships

2. Get 1 large ship for each of the factions (Falcon, YT-2400 or Ghost for rebels; Slave-1, Lambda or Decimator for imps - currently I recommend the YT-2400 or Ghost for rebs; the Slave-1 or Shuttle for imps) - you can now field 2 +1 large rebel ships and 4 + 1 large imperial ships

At this point, find a squadron builder for X-Wing and play some games, proxy some ships if you must. Save up for the next step.

3. Get 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing & Rebel Aces for rebels; get 1 TIE Interceptor & Imperial Aces for imps - you now own more ships than you can possibly field in a 100 point game without upgrades.

After this step you will be starting on Scum & Villiany - initally the number of rebel ship you can field will balloon.

4. Get 1 Most Wanted, 1 Z-95 Headhunter, 1 Y-Wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 TIE Phantom, any 2 other TIEs or a Slave-1 if you didn't get it previously - you can now field a large rebel fleet and a modest imp and scum fleet.

After this point you should have a good grasp of the game and know what you want to get next without further input.

I would go against the grain and say get the TFA Blue X-wing Core Set first. The TFA core set has updated rule book and components and also comes with a top meta pilot Poe Dameron.

However if you want to stick to the original trilogy or want to start hard on Imperials then go for the first Red X-wing core set. 

Edited by Marinealver

Hum i see.. thanks for the help.. 
Probably i will try to get the 2 core sets as it makes a full team i guess
for the other ships i have to see.. i would like to get vader tie and millenium falcon because of history and because i like them but dont know if they are viable in tournaments or easy to play with :s

Falcon isn't a bad choice as a mix of theme and potential, but the TIE Advanced needs a card that only comes in the Imperial Raider to make it in any way useful, so I'd recommend avoiding that for now. Interceptors would be a solid pick-up though, and still be thematic.