Sign in to follow this  
DanteRotterdam

A one-off that was exciting and fun!

Since my weekly F&D sessions has started I am having more fun with FFG's system then ever before. The party of 4 force users are a blast, the players are inventive, experienced and enjoy a good laugh and since I ended up letting them run a homestead on Thalus I can now switch between larger multisession adventures and episodic one-offs. Tonight we played the latter.

The party was contacted by an agent of the Corusanti consul to Corellia with the request to take him on a hunting trip. He showed up and it turns out Ide Farran is a fast talking whisky drinking playboy imperial that employed a Gand tracker named 'Gand' and is followed around by a 4-LOM unit called '4-LOM 2B' or "Toby" who is extremely hung up on protocol. They have come to hunt a Sluge Panther. Thalus' most impressive predator. Anyway the adventure went exactly as I hoped it would starting with the party slogging through swamps fighting off giant crabs and ended up with Farran lying prone with a sniper rifle and our Seeker (who is an extremely proficient shot) and the Gand seeing the Panther charge ever closer itching to take a shot but not doing so because they don't want to deprive the consular of his kill. So all they seem to be able to do is try to give him boosts on his shots and make his kill, which finally in the round before things turn ugly he does. It was so much fun and I think the three new NPC's might be recurring characters from now on forth.

So do you constantely work towards a longer storyline or do you intersperse your "main story" with some episodic content as well?

Side content confuses the bejeezus out of my players. They go "off the rails" and everything is hunky dory, I do it and they think it has something...anything...to do with the bigger picture. One NPC tries to pull one over on them, then every single NPC is a backstabbing stabby stabber, everyone is out to steal their ship, and they're all going to starve in space.

Well, not the last one. One guy buys ration packs every opportunity he gets and his bunk looks like an episode of Hoarders.

Edited by Alekzanter

So far, I'm doing campaigns with a background story that runs through each session, but the sessions themselves are stand alone. So the big bad, has his fingers in everything that the players are doing, but each job they take is it's own story. 

For the FaD campaign that I took over a little while back, we haven’t gotten there yet. So far, everything has been following the main story, which has been built on top of published adventures from FFG.

But I think we’re about to hit the point where I need to start providing two or three hooks for each episode, and then let the players choose which ones to follow.

So, I’ll be watching this thread closely. Thanks!