Sign in to follow this  
McFoy

Soontir Fel & Rage

The question was explored in this thread as well:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/203917-rage-and-yorr/

I submitted a question recently to FFG concerning if multiple stresses could trigger an ability multiple times.  When I get an answer, I'll post it here (or in its own thread, not sure which is better).

i was asking primarily because I wanted to run him with youngster, epsilon leader, and two blacks with wing man and create a stupid focus stress pile on Soontir. Then I read youngster again. 

Soontir gets a focus token each time he receives a stress. He is not repeating an action, just assigning or being assigned tokens. So with Rage, assign a focus, get 2 stress, assign 2 more focus tokens.

Somebody uses Tractor beam to move him onto debris? He takes a stress and gets another focus token.

Fires on a ship with Rebel Captive? Gets a stress and another focus token.

Another ship with Tactician fires at range 2 - he takes yet another stress and focus token.

Each stress assigned is an opportunity to trigger, so unless there is a FAQ or response from Frank Brooks on this, I take it that each stress adds a focus, regardless of how it it given.

Definitely would not use Rage on Soontir, but that is how I interpret it.

Edited by USCGrad90

If you put a targeting computer on Soontir Fel he essentially gets Rage for 1 stress instead of 2. Target Lock + PTL + Focus gives stress, receives focus. Now, just like Rage Soontir, he may reroll his 3 attack dice (or 4, unlike Rage Soontir, if he gets to Range 1) and has 2 focus tokens. Unlike Rage Soontir he only has 1 stress token and does not have to count on Wingman pilots or similar effects in order to do it again in the following round.

Edited by ZealuxMyr

Let Fel have his Focus w/ the pile of Stress Tokens.  All of those Focus tokens will go away at the end of the round but the Stress is there to stay so unless he finds a way to act while Stressed it may be a while before he's taking Actions again.

What is the most Focus tokens you've wanted/needed to play from Fel in a single round?

Edited by StevenO

If you put a targeting computer on Soontir Fel he essentially gets Rage for 1 stress instead of 2. Target Lock + PTL + Focus gives stress, receives focus. Now, just like Rage Soontir, he may reroll his 3 attack dice (or 4, unlike Rage Soontir, if he gets to Range 1) and has 2 focus tokens. Unlike Rage Soontir he only has 1 stress token and does not have to count on Wingman pilots or similar effects in order to do it again in the following round.

Plus TL lets you roll all 4 dice at Range 1 if needed - not just 3 - for the extremely rare occasion when you roll all blanks.

(And YES - it's unfortunately happened to me...)

Plus TL lets you roll all 4 dice at Range 1 if needed - not just 3 - for the extremely rare occasion when you roll all blanks.

(And YES - it's unfortunately happened to me...)

I typically play Fel with targeting computer anyways, I was just looking at prospective switch ups for him that would be fun to mess around with in my league. Last few times I've lost Fel it's been because I roll all focuses without a focus to use becasue people seem to enjoy shooting everything at him. 

Ok, I just got the answer from Frank:

In response to your rules questions:

Rules Question:

Hello, here is a question concerning getting multiple stress tokens, such as from an ability like Rage. If an ability is triggered by receiving stress, such as Soontir’s ability, can it trigger twice from activating rage and therefore end up with 1 focus from rage and 2 for Soontir’s ability, or can it only trigger once (considering each stress a separate trigger)?

Due to the use of “a” rather than “1” or “1 or more,” Soontir’s ability triggers for each instance of receiving a stress token. In this case, Soontir’s ability would trigger twice. 

The same question applies to Captain Yorr: were a black squadron pilot use rage, would Yorr be able to intercept both stresses or only 1? Thank you

The same thing happens here. Since it says “a stress token,” Captain Yorr could intercept 0, 1, or both stress tokens.

Thanks for asking,

Soontir gets a focus token each time he receives a stress. He is not repeating an action, just assigning or being assigned tokens. So with Rage, assign a focus, get 2 stress, assign 2 more focus tokens.

Somebody uses Tractor beam to move him onto debris? He takes a stress and gets another focus token.

Fires on a ship with Rebel Captive? Gets a stress and another focus token.

Another ship with Tactician fires at range 2 - he takes yet another stress and focus token.

Each stress assigned is an opportunity to trigger, so unless there is a FAQ or response from Frank Brooks on this, I take it that each stress adds a focus, regardless of how it it given.

Can't say it's that way, you see, before RAEG every effect gave you 1 stress token, so even when Jammed, he was receiving one-stress-at-a-time

Same as you would receive 1 stress from Flechette, then another for Tactician triggered after the attack.

Non_momentary that is.

So each time he did, he triggered his ability.

But this time it's subtly different, you assign two stresses in a single moment. Not assign him stress and then assign another stress, you get him two by one effect.

So "once per opportunity" works this time.

just my input, can't say I'm 146% right

And yes, I'm again failing to read all teh thread till the Question e-mail answer xD

Guess I'm wrong after all

FAQ time!

Edited by Warpman