Sign in to follow this  
Holmelund

A new video of suspect Dial handling

Awesome find! Sort of.  :unsure: So I guess this kind of stuff happens more than we'd like to admit? I just want to play X-Wing. I don't want to play watch-my-opponent's-every-move-to-make-sure-he/she-is-not-cheating. I guess it's a moot point for me since my game store closed and I just play at a friend's house now.

Wait, does he pick up his own Vader dial or the other player's?

Video won't load for me, but I imagine it was his own. His opponent would have certainly noticed if it was his maneuver that was changed.

Opponent moves both his ships. Then player reveals 1st dial. Opponent walks off. Player moves first ship, picks up his 2nd dial, (insert shenanigans), opponent returns and player shows 2nd dial. Edited by GiraffeandZebra

Is it healthy or helpful to post these kind of one-off instances of cheating on public boards? They are rare. They are dealt with locally. All posting them here does is prime a bunch of players to actively look for instances of cheating. Then they post what they think was cheating(it wasn't, in a couple of recent cases) and the feedback reinforces itself. It makes the game worse for all of us.

Just report it to your TO's and keep it off the net.

Edited by TasteTheRainbow

Is it healthy or helpful to post these kind of one-off instances of cheating on public boards?

If it gets the culprits banned from tournaments I think it is.

I would hate to play against someone who used this sort of behavior to win his games.

Posting it on FFG boards or any other public boards is not the way to accomplish that. Send it to the TO's or local TO's. And FFG.

I would hate to play against someone who used this sort of behavior to win his games.

So would I, but I have seen this behavior only once in hundreds of games. On the other hand, I have seen LOTS of(false or unsubstantiated) accusations from people primed to look for cheating. Confirmation bias is very natural to us. Trying to stop a rare problem by making a common problem more common doesn't help.

Edited by TasteTheRainbow

While unfortunate, showing this helps people be aware that these types of behavior happen. Also, it's not like the camera was hidden and whoever was recording was there simply to expose cheaters. This was caught on a video meant to showcase a match to other X-Wing players. It should not be blown out of proportion and claim that this happens everywhere. However, cheating should never be covered up even if it is a one-off instance. If it is caught on camera, it should be brought to attention.

Wow never thought we would get that kinda hand in the cookie jar kinda deal u can see the number moving as he is changing it. Hope the community sees this and they can deal with it apporpatly.

Is it healthy or helpful to post these kind of one-off instances of cheating on public boards?

I genuinely don't know the answer to that question.

On the one hand, all of the normal mechanisms for enforcing norms within a community exist in X-wing, and presumably they're operating. And there's good evidence that "name-and-shame," while satisfying for people who are transgressed against or imagine they're likely to be, isn't an effective deterrent except to the transgressor.

On the other hand, that deterrence value depends on a reliable and known likelihood of being caught. A handful of well-publicized incidents could change that calculus.

Had something like this happen at a local event. Made my moves, then when the other guy went to make his move, he palmed the dial and announced the "perfect" countermove, then set his dial upside down so I could no see it.

I blew it off since I was pretty much having my way with him and didn't feel like making a fuss about it.

However it looks like as the game is starting to really grow we are seeing more incidents of dial abuse.

Time to start policing our game before FFG has to take another drastic measure.

I genuinely don't know the answer to that question. On the one hand, all of the normal mechanisms for enforcing norms within a community exist in X-wing, and presumably they're operating. And there's good evidence that "name-and-shame," while satisfying for people who are transgressed against or imagine they're likely to be, isn't an effective deterrent except to the transgressor.On the other hand, that deterrence value depends on a reliable and known likelihood of being caught. A handful of well-publicized incidents could change that calculus.
I don't know how close you follow other boards, but instances of cheating accusations which were blatant nonsense are kind of getting to be commonplace. It makes the community look worse. Accusations of cheating are poison for fun.

If FFG wants to publicize something verified that is one thing. But lots of people seem real suspicious of things like brobots getting 4 hits(TWICE!) and want to make threads about it.

I can't honestly understand how cheating is fun. Is not the thrill in winning that you played better then your opponent.

Finally did he not add a stress to his ship after is it possible he had stay on target? Or did I miss see the stress?

I re-watchec his tie advanced does a 2 bank then gets stress. Stay on target.

This is the danger of a whitch hunt. I might be wrong but I think many people owe that man an apology. (Someone correct me if I am wrong)

Edited by Icelom

No question he changed the dial.   An posting it on the boards is a perfect way to stop him.   Because someone will see it and he will be embarrassed or shamed for what he did.    Everyone will know the guy and everytime he walks in to play people will assume he cheats and watch him like a hawk.   He made his bed now he has to lay in it.

Make social media work for us for once.

Good catch!

This is becoming rampant.    FFG will have to make a rule that once you put dials down you cannot turn and say ready or set, you cannot turn them over until their turn.    If you want to see the dial again, you need to call a judge or something.

This is why people need to post lists,   if he had some way to change his dial or was Juno, I could understand it.    

Edited by eagletsi111