Sign in to follow this  
Hokum

Forced Vs Side missions

Hello.

My little group is playing again tonight and I'm looking for clarification on how you select side and forced missions.   When looking at the campaign log on the back of the book I can see that we're now at the stage of doing two side missions before continuing the story.  So I've decided to try and throw a spanner in the works by playing a forced mission.

The mission they had was The Spice Job and I've played my influence mission Strength of Command.

Now for the questions.

1.  Do they have to choose which mission happens?

2.  If they were to choose my mission, would this fill a side mission slot on the log book or one of the red forced missions at the bottom?

3.  Do they essentially lose the chance at a side mission?

4.  If they choose my mission, the Spice Job mission will be discarded.  Correct?

Thank you for any help provided.  We're due to play tonight so I'm hoping I can figure this out before they come over :)

If the mission truly says "Play this mission as a Forced mission", then you suspend the campaign exactly where it is and resolve the Forced Mission. Forced Missions are tallied separately from the campaign log, and do not count towards overall campaign progress. That said: 

1) Rebels will always choose the next side mission. Forced missions are not side missions.

2) Strength of Command is NOT a Forced Mission. After the rebels resolve any side mission other than that mission, discard that mission and earn the listed reward (in that case, you would unlock Kayn Somos).

3) Forced Missions are tracked separately. Rebels never lose side missions. If the rebels play Strength of Command, this would take up a side mission slot.

4) No, Spice Job (and whatever their other rebel side mission is) will remain in play.

Basically, Rebels will always have at least two side missions available, (more if you play an influence mission) and Rebel side missions only get discarded after they are played.

So it flows like this:

1) Play First Campaign Mission

2) Draw two rebel sides missions and put them into play.

2a) If playing a Battle of Hoth campaign, randomly draw two threat missions and put those into play.

3) Rebels choose a side mission.

4) Play mission.

5) If mission was a Rebel Side mission, draw new rebel side mission from rebel deck.

Edited by Fizz

Awesome.  Thank you.  

They've opted to do Strength of Command.  So Spice Job would be shuffled into the mission deck or just played after as the second side mission?

Spice Job remains in play. You do not shuffle side missions back into the deck. During the next side mission choice, they may choose to play Spice Job, their other Rebel mission in play, or another Influence mission that you are able to play.

Edited by Fizz

You may want to warn them that playing your Imperial Side Mission will take up a side mission slot. Which means that while the players may prevent you from unlocking your Villain, they are harming themselves by not running a side mission that might give them an upgrade.

1) Rebels will always choose the next side mission. Forced missions are not side missions.

2) Strength of Command is NOT a Forced Mission. After the rebels resolve any side mission other than that mission, discard that mission and earn the listed reward (in that case, you would unlock Kayn Somos).

3) Forced Missions are tracked separately. Rebels never lose side missions. If the rebels play Strength of Command, this would take up a side mission slot.

But I want to clarify, so the forced side mission can be played in between two main storyline missions? Essentially I can play it at anytime?

Thanks

~D

Yes, a forced missions is played anytime between missions and does not use a side mission slot. Bear in mind that agenda missions do come in both flavours... forced and side missions. I made that mistake when I started, assumed all the agenda missions were forced missions.

Mostly you just have to read the cards and do what they say. :D

Note that the text of all agenda cards are resolved immediately when they are bought, i.e. you can't keep them in hand and put them into play later. Some Agenda cards are placed onto the play area, some are kept hidden, agenda side missions become active side missions (in addition to any currently in play), and agenda forced missions are played as the next mission.

Also note that the imperial upgrade stages are in the wrong order in the Learn to Play guide. The correct order is spend XP first, spend influence last. This way you won't have any issues with the agenda forced missions.

Edited by a1bert