Sign in to follow this  
tharmine

clarification regarding critical hit/injury

Hi all, 

sorry in advance for the noob question. 

I am playing Edge of Empire beginner game with my son and I am still confused regarding critical injury.

More specifically, with the table (found on the GM screen and online) which ask you to roll a D100. When do you use it? I guess it is explained in the core rulebook, but I do not have it. 

I understood that if you suffer more than your wound threshold, you are unconscious and get 1 critical injury. So when do you roll the D100? If you are unconscious, not much apply to your character, until he is healed, no? Most of the results imply that the character can still do actions. 

Is it only when you get hit with a weapon that use enough advantages to inflict you a critical hit?

Please can someone be kind enough to share some light on this point?

Thank you in advance,

Thomas

Welcome, tharmine!

You have it right:

1. If the target has suffered 1 or more wounds (damage - soak = wounds) then either a Triumph or a number of Advantages equal to the weapon's "Crit" rating can be spent to cause a critical hit.
  2. If an attack causes the target to suffer 1 or more wounds more than their Wound Threshold, the attack automatically causes a critical hit (no Triumphs or Advantages need to be spent).

In either of these cases you'd be rolling the d100, but only in the second would they also be incapacitated.

Edited by Col. Orange

Ok thanks. But what the point to roll if the character is unconscious? Only to see if he "may" die or be severely injured? Most of the result below 100 does not do anything if he is unconscious.

many thanks

Edited by tharmine

If a character's taken more wounds than their threshold they're incapacitated and take a critical hit.

If they're not incapacitated but have taken at least 1 wound, the attacker can spend a rolled Triumph or some Advantages to force a roll on the critical hit table (the actual number of wounds caused doesn't matter, if that's what you're getting at).

Some weapons are dangerous because they do lots of wounds (high Damage rating).  Others are dangerous because they maim people more often (low Critical rating).

Either way, it's a roll on the same table.  The more times this happens the worse the result will be, until squishy death.

Edited by Col. Orange

Even when you fall unconscious you still roll on the table. The table has the severity of the critical as well, which determines how difficult it is to heal the crit later. You will want to try and heal those criticals from your character because for each crit they have on them it will add +10 to the next time they get a crit.

So lets say you have a character with a soak of 5 and a would threshold of 15.

1. you take 4 damage and they roll a triumph or enough advantage for a crit. In this instance you do not get to use the triumph or advantage for a crit because the 4 damage did not exceed the soak.

2. you take 6 damage and they roll a triumph or enough advantage for a crit. Here you do get to crit and would roll the d100. write on the character sheet what kind of critical it was for healing purposed later

3. you take 21 damage and they roll a triumph or enough advantage for a crit. Here you would soak 5 damage and then would take 16 dmg to knock you unconscious. you still roll the d100 to see the severity.

4. lets say you didnt heal the crit that you took before and got another one. you would roll the d100 and then add +10 to the roll for each crit you havent healed.

5. If they happen to roll enough advantage to trigger multiple crits in one roll, you use one activation for the crit and all other activations add +10 to the roll

I would also like to mention that crits are healed separately. So if a character receives a critical and then later goes unconscious for another critical with +10 to the d100 and they now have two on them. Say they are their wounds are then completely healed and they get into another fight where they get a third crit. That crit is rolled with +20. Say they then receive a crit from a viscious (is that the term?) weapon that adds 20 to crit rolls. That d100 roll would be at +50. That character is going to be feeling the pain and is in real danger of dying.