Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Darth evil

R5-P8 is not very good

Recommended Posts

Actually he's complete garbage, it has been ruled that he does not trigger until the end of the defense phase, so potentially you could get hit for 3 dmg one turn and roll a blank, next turn hit for 3 more damage and roll an eyeball, and then get hit for another 3 dmg and not get to roll. Complete waste of 3 points for 38% chance of a damage on 2 turns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a 50/50 shot of hurting the attacker. A Crit hurts both the Defender and Attacker.

 

I think its great. Sure its not going to work every time, but Soontir has a 50/50 shot of losing a 1/3 of his health. He could be at range 3 behind a rock with all the tokens you can pile on him. Sniper droid doesn't care.

Edited by Jo Jo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually he's complete garbage, it has been ruled that he does not trigger until the end of the defense phase, so potentially you could get hit for 3 dmg one turn and roll a blank, next turn hit for 3 more damage and roll an eyeball, and then get hit for another 3 dmg and not get to roll. Complete waste of 3 points for 38% chance of a damage on 2 turns.

 

I don't even know what your complaint is. When did you think that an ability that triggers "Once per round, after defending" would trigger other than "after defending"?

 

Were you expecting to get to spend a focus token or something to modify the roll?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a little unclear. Where was it ruled? I'm still trying to find where it was clarified where the defense phase starts and where it ends and when the attack phase overlaps.. and this ruling on R5-P8 might be relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a little unclear. Where was it ruled? I'm still trying to find where it was clarified where the defense phase starts and where it ends and when the attack phase overlaps.. and this ruling on R5-P8 might be relevant.

 

There's no separate "defense" phase and "attack" phase.  "After defending" and "After attacking" both mean after the whole attack has been resolved (and damage cards dealt, if any).  They just vary whether you're the attacker or the defender at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a little unclear. Where was it ruled? I'm still trying to find where it was clarified where the defense phase starts and where it ends and when the attack phase overlaps.. and this ruling on R5-P8 might be relevant.

The defense phase starts, when someone declares you as a target, and ends when the attack ends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's also worth noting that initiative matters here. If you are the second player, and you are destroyed by something of the same pilot skill, then you can still use R5-P8 as your ship is not considered destroyed until after you attack.

 

And I just faced R5 for the first time on Saturday. I was flying both an A-Wing and an Attack Shuttle. It made every attack against the enemy's Jumpmaster into a nail-biter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually he's complete garbage, it has been ruled that he does not trigger until the end of the defense phase, so potentially you could get hit for 3 dmg one turn and roll a blank, next turn hit for 3 more damage and roll an eyeball, and then get hit for another 3 dmg and not get to roll. Complete waste of 3 points for 38% chance of a damage on 2 turns.

38% chance? It's a 50/50 chance that the attacker takes damage. The 8 sided die includes 3 [booms] and 1 [kaboom]. Statistically you damage the attacker half of the time.

And how is this any different from how similar mechanic such as Anti Pursuit Lasers or Ion Projector operate? What were you expecting this droid to do?

No, this will not trigger every time. Yes, it's possible that you never do a single damage to an enemy attacker. But as has been stated frequently by others in this thread, certain enemies will be severely affected when the dice rolls do go in your favor. Low hit point aces or ships down to their last hit points, may situationally pass up an attack on you for fear of ruining their day.

R5-P8 on a Jumpmaster will often be points very well invested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Actually he's complete garbage, it has been ruled that he does not trigger until the end of the defense phase, so potentially you could get hit for 3 dmg one turn and roll a blank, next turn hit for 3 more damage and roll an eyeball, and then get hit for another 3 dmg and not get to roll. Complete waste of 3 points for 38% chance of a damage on 2 turns.

38% chance? It's a 50/50 chance that the attacker takes damage. The 8 sided die includes 3 [booms] and 1 [kaboom]. Statistically you damage the attacker half of the time.

 

 

He was mistaken in his numbers.  You were correct that you have a 50% chance to do damage.  over 2 dice rolls, that means you have a 25% chance of doing no damage across 2 turns, or 75% chance of doing at least 1 damage.

Edited by VanderLegion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no way,  APL is a much better card, it doesn't hurt your own ship, will trigger more often per game and costs less.

So you are simply trolling then, right? The dice roll is the same with a 50% chance. The trigger of R5-P8 will frequently occur more than the overlap that would trigger APL. It's entirely situational on which would trigger more often.

I think combining the two sounds like fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

no way,  APL is a much better card, it doesn't hurt your own ship, will trigger more often per game and costs less.

So you are simply trolling then, right? The dice roll is the same with a 50% chance. The trigger of R5-P8 will frequently occur more than the overlap that would trigger APL. It's entirely situational on which would trigger more often.

I think combining the two sounds like fun.

 

 

For maximum trolling add a feedback array.  They bump, take damage from APL (hopefully), then get feedbacked when they can't shoot back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

no way,  APL is a much better card, it doesn't hurt your own ship, will trigger more often per game and costs less.

So you are simply trolling then, right? The dice roll is the same with a 50% chance. The trigger of R5-P8 will frequently occur more than the overlap that would trigger APL. It's entirely situational on which would trigger more often.

I think combining the two sounds like fun.

 

 

it is. people get real nervous when theres a large based mega-asteroid flying around that shoots back

 

 

For maximum trolling add a feedback array.  They bump, take damage from APL (hopefully), then get feedbacked when they can't shoot back.

 
this too. please stop giving away my secret op builds
Edited by THEMANONTHEM00N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...