Sign in to follow this  
AceSolo5

Order 66 Podcasts

The show really takes on a different tone depending on which hosts are there for each episode. Dave's recent episode with Sam Stewart guest-hosting was so crazy, completely unlike an episode where Chris and Phil are at the helm. But it's always enjoyable, and great to get different takes on the same game. 

GMChris was also very gung-ho about Saga Edition when the podcast was focused on Saga Edition.

Which is essential - in my opinion - to put out the number of quality episodes they did (and do).

I don't know Chris but it seems obvious that he's passionate about Star Wars roleplaying and the possibility that with a good group of people you can have a cinematic blast with any edition of the game.

The episode where they discuss issues surrounding moving from Saga Edition to FFG it was odd hearing Chris be so negative about Saga (or at least the "Saga players") as I was still listening to the back catalogue of Sage episodes (I was running an Old Republic Saga game at the time) where he was so excited about the system.

Anyway, my point is that Chris is enthusiastic about having fun playing around in the Star Wars galaxy and promoting a positive gaming experience which is essential for a good podcast like O66.

Well, now I feel like I've been caught kicking everyone's favourite kitten.

I regret my inflammatory remarks. I really do enjoy the show, I've listened to most of the back catalog in just a couple of months. I didn't mean to suggest that it was a big issue for me, just something I had thought after listening to a recent episode. I take your point Darth about the purpose of the show and not being critics. Keep up the good work, the game is better becuase of you guys.

GMChris was also very gung-ho about Saga Edition when the podcast was focused on Saga Edition.

Which is essential - in my opinion - to put out the number of quality episodes they did (and do).

I don't know Chris but it seems obvious that he's passionate about Star Wars roleplaying and the possibility that with a good group of people you can have a cinematic blast with any edition of the game.

The episode where they discuss issues surrounding moving from Saga Edition to FFG it was odd hearing Chris be so negative about Saga (or at least the "Saga players") as I was still listening to the back catalogue of Sage episodes (I was running an Old Republic Saga game at the time) where he was so excited about the system.

Anyway, my point is that Chris is enthusiastic about having fun playing around in the Star Wars galaxy and promoting a positive gaming experience which is essential for a good podcast like O66.

I think GMChris became a solid convert to Edge when he started playing and GMing it and found how much easier and how much more Star Warsy Edge is vs. Saga. 

I regret my inflammatory remarks. I really do enjoy the show, I've listened to most of the back catalog in just a couple of months. I didn't mean to suggest that it was a big issue for me, just something I had thought after listening to a recent episode. I take your point Darth about the purpose of the show and not being critics. Keep up the good work, the game is better becuase of you guys.

Hey, no harm, no foul chief. Thanks for your criticizm, though. It's great to get feedback on how we can improve the listener experience. If anything i may be a little more concious of voicing my oppinion when something about the system bugs me. ;)

Hey, no harm, no foul chief. Thanks for your criticizm, though. It's great to get feedback on how we can improve the listener experience. If anything i may be a little more concious of voicing my oppinion when something about the system bugs me. ;)

Personal opinion, but I think you guys are pretty good about when something does bother you (starfighter combat = rocket tag for instance), you try to figure out ways to address the problem so that it's not as much of something that bugs you.  You may not always succeed (we all do suffer from the incurable condition of being human after all), but it's far better than just kavitching about why some part of the system irks you and doing nothing else by kavitch about it.

I think GMChris became a solid convert to Edge when he started playing and GMing it and found how much easier and how much more Star Warsy Edge is vs. Saga. 

Certainly, I wasn't surprised by how much he liked FFGs new system (this was, I believe, episode 25 after all) but by how negative it was towards Saga Edition (in that episode they did talk about Saga being a fine game but the tone of most of the disussion in the first half of the show was pretty negative about Saga or at least "Saga players" which is what surprised me).

EDIT: Looking it up, it was Episode 24

Edited by Jedi Ronin

Certainly, I wasn't surprised by how much he liked FFGs new system (this was, I believe, episode 25 after all) but by how negative it was towards Saga Edition (in that episode they did talk about Saga being a fine game but the tone of most of the disussion in the first half of the show was pretty negative about Saga or at least "Saga players" which is what surprised me).

I think a lot of that came from the GM perspective, and how Saga got really prep-time intensive when your character levels got into the double digits. It's not really that FFG did anything new with how it handled preparing for adventures, more that with Saga most GMs felt sort of obligated to make NPCs the same manner as PCs did, that there was a fair amount of math that needed to be derived (and justified) while making NPCs, which took up a considerable amount of time if you're trying to make memorable NPCs. It was a lot of "dammit, why didn't I think of that!?" when it came to game mastering in FFG, which not only has a design theme of "give the NPC whatever you think it needs to have" as well as abilities and talents PCs never get access to for thematic reasons, and a framework that almost encourages the PCs to go off the rails or take actions the GM hadn't planned for.

Comparing it that way, it's sort of easy to see why we reacted that way. It's like someone flipped the table, spilling all our preconceptions and labor intensive work we were used to onto the floow, righted the table, handed us new tools and said "just run the **** game".

Edited by DarthGM

I think a lot of that came from the GM perspective, and how Saga got really prep-time intensive when your character levels got into the double digits. It's not really that FFG did anything new with how it handled preparing for adventures, more that with Saga most GMs felt sort of obligated to make NPCs the same manner as PCs did, that there was a fair amount of math that needed to be derived (and justified) while making NPCs, which took up a considerable amount of time if you're trying to make memorable NPCs. It was a lot of "dammit, why didn't I think of that!?" when it came to game mastering in FFG, which not only has a design theme of "give the NPC whatever you think it needs to have" as well as abilities and talents PCs never get access to for thematic reasons, and a framework that almost encourages the PCs to go off the rails or take actions the GM hadn't planned for.

Comparing it that way, it's sort of easy to see why we reacted that way. It's like someone flipped the table, spilling all our preconceptions and labor intensive work we were used to onto the floow, righted the table, handed us new tools and said "just run the **** game".

Thanks for the insight.  I thought the contrast between FFG and Saga was very well done and I wouldn't characterize it as negative towards Saga.  (Also, Rodney Thompson wrote in one of his last Saga blog entries on the wizards site, that the one thing he felt like Saga didn't do well at all was make GM prep of NPCs easier).

When I said that there was a lot of negativity towards Saga I didn't mean contrasting it with FFG (I didn't make this very clear): I was referring to the first half of the episode where the focus was on Saga players and "typical" negative d20 gamer stereotypes (tactical power and meta gaming etc) and how FFG discouraged this sort of thing, so it wasn't the contrast of what one system offers or promotes vs the other but the first part of the episode seemed like a long rant against "meta gaming, min/maxing tactical d20 roll players" instead of just focusing on the the different kind of play experience FFG offered and how this would be a change from a d20 game.  I was listening to old Saga episodes along with the new FFG episodes and hearing GM Chris one day extoll the virtues and awesomeness of Saga and the next go into somewhat of a bitter rant about "Saga players" was jarring.  But this sort of thing has been rare (and I still enjoyed the episode).

This is good advice for experienced gamers stepping into the system for the first time.  It's hard for grognards (like me!) to approach something we've been doing for decades with Beginner's Mind but it has been so very worth it.  I owe O66 hosts and guests a debt of gratitude for helping ease me into not only a new, fun game, but a new way of thinking about my GMing craft.  

I think Skill Monkey has been the most thought provoking segment and miss its like. I still go back and listen to them and I always come away with something fresh.

Yeah, I miss the Skill Monkey as well.  I mean, I get why he stopped, in that he's basically discussed the basics of how to read and interpret the dice, and there wasn't much else to go over.  But they were fun to listen to.   And his in game examples helped a lot to provide some narrative framework to the dice mechanics.   I think the bit that I took the most away from, was his "let the dice tell you what happens" bit.   If the results come up from a proficiency dice, then it's your trained skill in that action that saved the day.  End up with some threat from that environmental setback die from the rain?  Well you slip a bit and bang your knees on the wet pavement, causing yourself some strain.   That really helped me when describing what happens with the results.

But they were fun to listen to.   

And they were pleasant to listen to - there's a lot to be said for a well-produced podcast.  Having produced a few myself (as well as a good stint as a professional audio engineer) I greatly appreciate the expense, time, and effort that goes into making a quality podcast or segment therein.

But they were fun to listen to.   

And they were pleasant to listen to - there's a lot to be said for a well-produced podcast.  Having produced a few myself (as well as a good stint as a professional audio engineer) I greatly appreciate the expense, time, and effort that goes into making a quality podcast or segment therein.

Not to mention the emperor's march played on a ukulele and penny whistle.  :D  That never got old.

Not to mention the emperor's march played on a ukulele and penny whistle.   :D  That never got old.

Haha, true! That kind of smartassery is right up my alley.

I remember complaints that his music bed was too loud. And I was thinking to myself, "No it's awesome!! Keep the volume jacked, and just talk over it. I like bopping to the tune while I listen." 

I remember complaints that his music bed was too loud. And I was thinking to myself, "No it's awesome!! Keep the volume jacked, and just talk over it. I like bopping to the tune while I listen."

It's about that time he could have put a slide whistle with all the crappy glissando he could muster in place of the penny whistle.

Not to mention the emperor's march played on a ukulele and penny whistle.   :D  That never got old.

Haha, true! That kind of smartassery is right up my alley.

I know right?! :D   Every time I heard that music kick in, I started smirking, and bobbing my head back and forth, feeling immensely goofy all of a sudden.  Ready for about 10ish minutes of informative, yet funny gaming advice for the system.   Honestly, Skill Monkey did a lot to help me wrap my brain around what the devs were trying to do with the system.   What the intention of the rules was, basically low effort rules for improvisational theater.    Which I'm all for that.

You guys are so nice. :)

Tis true!  We are very nice!  

But seriously, your bit was integral to going from knowing the rules, to understanding them.  To let myself just improvise the scene as it goes along, and know that the rules actually support this kind of play, rather than dogmatic number crunching.   Which is honestly the kind of RP'ing I've always wanted to do.   I hate mechanics in gaming, and just accept it as a necessary evil to try and do the narrative roleplay I love.  I was reluctant to try the system when a friend got the book, but hearing your narrative breakdown of what the dice meant, helped me realize I could finally just go big and have fun with it.   Not something that is terribly difficult for me, :D I'm fairly flamboyant on any given day, but to know that the system had my back was very liberating.

I know right?! :D   Every time I heard that music kick in, I started smirking, and bobbing my head back and forth, feeling immensely goofy all of a sudden.

I read the above, and in my mind, I’m thinking it’s something like this:

Animated-head-bobbing-cat-with-headphone

Caption: Looping animated GIF of cat bobbing its head to music with a strong beat.

EDIT: forgot the caption for Haley.

Edited by bradknowles