Sign in to follow this  
AceSolo5

Order 66 Podcasts

Well, having seen that the Range Bands thread has just been locked down (for what appears, at a swift glance, to be an argument about podcasts) I'm wondering whether I dare ask this :o)

I was just wondering how long the Order 66 Podcasts are and what format they take... As in video or just audio? Cheers all!

Just Audio. Many are around 90min, but they can get well over 120 some episodes and occasionally into the 180+! Thankfully they use music cues between segments so finding what they call "the meat" of the show is quite easy. The descriptions of each episode give a good indication of what the meat is too. They often have "post show" which you may or may not find interesting, Marvel/DC movies are a common discussion.

They tend to go into the crunch of this system too, explaining rules, and often the developers who guest star will clarify things that are hard to clarify in writing.

Greetings!

Order 66 podcasts are in audio form. I've never had much luck figuring out their website on D20, but I found an archive of them here: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/order66

They have a ton of information, that being said, there are many of them, and they are loooooong. Between 1.5 and 2.5 hours. I've only been able to listen to one or two because of this. Good luck!

Insert mandatory "I don't listen" joke here  ;)

I used to listen to the saga incarnation while grinding on SWTOR, even though I wasn't actually involved in any RPGs at the time.

When they moved to FFG, their initial live play episodes (though dated these days) were entertaining enough to not only make me want to buy the system, but also to seek out a local group to get playing again. So I have a lot of respect for the guys.

They aren't perfect. I sometime find myself going "get on with it!" during their longer derails (especially when an FFG dev is on) but that's more an indication of the quality of the information that is getting interrupted!

This, along with "Tales from the Hydian Way" are my two go-to podcasts regarding actually playing and running the game.

So yes, recommended by me at least.

As noted, it's an audio-only podcast.

And yes, they can get lengthy, especially some of the earlier FFG-based episodes as Dave would go off on whatever wild tangent struck his fancy, which tended to draw the show out.  As I understand it, he was going through a rough patch, and wound up taking a hiatus from the podcast, bringing Phil (DarthGM) to cover for him.

They've improved a fair bit, and most of the off-topic rambling is limited to post show; most, but not all of it.  They also started putting the "meat" at the front of the show, so you can skip the first 10 to 15 minutes to get right to the juicy part of the show if you so choose, as you'd just be missing various announcements related to RPG news and other shows on the network.  They do tend to tackle a few rules questions, giving their unofficial but usually well-informed take on the question at hand.

The worst offenders for running long are the Sam Witwer shows, but since he's a celebrity and having him on the show is a rare thing, it's going to happen.  I think it says something that GM Chris had to release a condensed version of the show where Witwer was a guest host and the intent was to provide tips to starting GMs in order for the show to actually be useful without having to wade through a bunch of off-topic conversations and wild tangents.

They are trying to trim it down and get things back under control in terms of focus and show length, as I believe they want to have some shows they can submit to the ENnies for Best Podcast, and 3+ hour long ramble fests simply won't cut it.

I generally find the show and discussions to be useful, particularly those where they are able to get lead developers like Jay Little and Sam Stewart on the show, as it can provide an insight as to what the thought process was behind some elements of the system.  I've said this before and I'll say it plenty more, but Jay Little is a wonderfully demented genius when it comes to game design, so hearing his thoughts on why something was done a particular way is very interesting.  Same to an only slightly lesser degree with Sam Stewart as to "this why we did what we did," especially in regards to Force and Destiny.

But, your mileage may vary.  I know that a number of folks have found some of the hosts to very off-putting, either specific remarks or just in general, so the show isn't to everyone's taste.  But I'd say it's worth a listen.  If nothing else, it's not as prone to boring you to sleep like the Tales From the Hydian Way podcast is prone to doing; it might be informative, but man oh man was the delivery drier than the Sahara.

I generally enjoy their podcasts, but as has been noted, they can be a little long winded.  I'm often hitting the skip forward button on my player to get past rambling portions that go on to long.  I remember being frustrated on an interview a developer episode when they ran out of time to get to all the questions, after having spent about 15 minutes discussing pie at the start.  The jokes are well and good, and I enjoy the humor, but you do need to get to the point.

Complaints aside, I do listen to most every episode and find them worthwhile.  They have a lot of good information, knowledge of rules, and ideas.  I often find myself laughing along with their jokes.  You just have to either not mind the banter (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't) or have a skip forward 30 seconds button handy.

Edited by Split Light

But, your mileage may vary.  I know that a number of folks have found some of the hosts to very off-putting, either specific remarks or just in general, so the show isn't to everyone's taste.

To be fair, they've gotten much better. When I first started listening, there were . . . issues. The blue language I could stand, but there was some other distasteful digressions from time to time. But they've cleaned up their act since then. The language very occasionaly does get salty, but the subject matter stays pretty straight now.

If nothing else, it's not as prone to boring you to sleep like the Tales From the Hydian Way podcast is prone to doing; it might be informative, but man oh man was the delivery drier than the Sahara.

Since Joshua and David joined the cast, it has gotten loads better. They bring a much needed level of color and energy to the podcast.

That's brilliant, thanks for the info guys :) I was looking for something to listen to in my lunch hour! I'll definitely check out the Tales from the Hydian Way as well! Hopefully I'll pick up some tips... Especially on Starship Combat, I've run one so far & whilst it was ok I do want to get more out of it :) I suppose it was in our first gaming session tho!

I have only been playing for about 2 months and so I have found the Order 66 Podcast quite useful. I have enjoyed some of the live plays which have helped me with GMing ideas. Took me a while to get used to it, but good to listen to during a commute. Unfortunately can't listen with my son around who plays the game as well because of the language and themes that can come up.

The one compliant I have with the show is that the hosts are never (not that I have noticed) critical of the game design or of FFG in any way. Plenty of problems with the game get brought up in these forums and discussed, but the podcast hosts generally act like fan boys and just praise everything about the system, especially when they have an FFG guest on. I think it would help us more if they were a bit more critical when need be, rather than acting like cheerleaders for FFG. That doesn't help us get a better product.

I have been running this system for about three years and overall, I don't have many complaints. I don't understand what the O66 needs or should be critical of really. No game system is perfect. But overall, this one got a helluva lot more right than wrong, especially after coming in on from the last fiasco that was published. I understand not everyone loves this system, and I'm ok with that. I guess I'm a FFG fanboy and a SW FFG RPG trumpet blower, always shouting their praises too, but that is because I generally like it. I guess I fail to see what we or they need to be more critical of. I know, they didn't use the D20!!! LOL :) just playing.

Edited by R2builder

The general consensus would be that if you run this system as intended then its remarkably well balanced. When a part of the system design doesn't fit the dynamic of a group is when the system fails. If a group change elements (I'm not saying don't just that it happens) or introduce balance affecting house rules is when major issues arise.

The people who make podcasts about any system are most likely going to be fan boys of that system, it's a lot of effort to record and produce so you need to want to put the effort in.

What I would say is that when listening to these podcasts your listening to people who like to play the way the developers intended the system to be played. For that reason they don't typically talk house rules or system faults (for the above mentioned level of balance if playing to RAI). If people new to the system want to learn more about the intended way to play, or the intended balance to perceived problems then there is a lot to gain from these recordings.

If your group have played for a while and tried to play by RAI, but unfortunately it's not to your groups liking, then there could be less for you. Of course it's possible that your interpretation of RAI and the actual RAI could be different, heck everyone's interpretations will be different. If that's the case then it may be that these podcasts could shed some light on the difference in your interpretations. Going in with closed ears obviously won't fix any problems your experiencing. looking for solutions to the problems with this system won't be found either.

As I said the people who play this system as intended know the balancing factors baked in that resolve a lot of the perceived issues, and a lot of us know these factors thanks to listening to the hosts and Devs talk about them through a little over 3 years of discussions. Not everyone is going to find answers here, but everyone can at least improve their games in small ways.

I wouldn't say we're total FFG Fanboys. There are certainly aspects of the game I don't care for, or don't like how they are implemented. I still dislike how much Space Combat is "rocket tag" for instance and would love to see them come up with something different. We've had 2 shows entirely devoted to the topic and I still see absolutely no reason to use the Gain the Advantage Action, for instance. Better to shoot the other guy with your action and be done with it, since the first person to hit the other generally wins any engagement. Hence; Rocket Tag.

That being said, after literally two decades of primarily d20 games (pretty much because every other system I tried held no interest for me) the Star Wars FFG system is a refreshing change that I find elegant in it's simplicity, yet complex enough for my tastes. Chris and Dave aren't really shy about letting anyone know their feelings or thoughts, I'm much more reserved in that regard but that has to do with my own life experiences. Even so, if I've got a question or an objection to something I try to let it be known. I just don't feel a need to call someone to the carpet for anything unless it's a grievous insult.

Finally; being critics really isn't the point of the show, to me anyway. We're not critics, we're GAMERS. We're guys with a couple microphones and a passion for role playing in the Star Wars universe.  I've always held the notion that the Order 66 Podcast was there to help the listener; to offer advice in a variety of areas and aspects of the game to help make your game experience better. If we spend an hour bitching about what we dislike about the system, how does that help you? How does that help make your games better? That's just three guys in their 30s and 40s bitching. You can get that on thousand other podcasts on the internet.

Besides; that's what Post Show is for. ;)

I've always held the notion that the Order 66 Podcast was there to help the listener; to offer advice in a variety of areas and aspects of the game to help make your game experience better. 

That's my take away, even from long episodes.  Now that I've been listening for a couple years, it's like I'm sitting down with my buddies to shoot the breeze.  

Edited by themensch

I wouldn't say we're total FFG Fanboys. There are certainly aspects of the game I don't care for, or don't like how they are implemented. I still dislike how much Space Combat is "rocket tag" for instance and would love to see them come up with something different. We've had 2 shows entirely devoted to the topic and I still see absolutely no reason to use the Gain the Advantage Action, for instance. Better to shoot the other guy with your action and be done with it, since the first person to hit the other generally wins any engagement. Hence; Rocket Tag.

To be fair to FFG, none of the three systems have had a useable space combat system (which is weird, considering the setting of the game). WEG was okay-ish, FFG is too brutal (AKA the Rocket Tag) and the WotC engine was pretty much unplayable when you got into space.

FFG is too brutal (AKA the Rocket Tag) 

Man, I think I need to sit in at your table, that is not the impression I've had and I consider myself a pretty brutal GM when it comes to space combat.   I get it with rockets, but maybe my dice are just cursed.  It's never ended up like that for us.  

I really enjoy the podcast and find it helpful in discussing not only the rules of the game as written but how things can be applied at the table.

It should also be said that the show does make a big effort to cover people's specific gaming problems and they field many questions about how to deal with common gaming issues.

One of the more recent efforts in this regard is how to deal with the "one trick pony".

I don't always agree with them but I always find their advice thought provoking and useful.

And DarthGM - you are a great, indespensable even, addition to the show.

Agreed with Jedi Ronin...I've listened to every episode from the Saga Edition days through today (including all the live plays) and I cannot imagine the Order 66 Podcast without Phil as a host now. It was a delightful surprise when he was brought on board, although I do have to say I miss the Fragments bit :) But still, to get his insight on stuff in a more general way is great.

To the "fanboys" criticism, I get that, but I really disagree. The hosts like the game! That's why they're doing a podcast devoted to it. If you spend your time being negatively critical about something, then that's time you can't spend enjoying it. So...I'd rather spend time enjoying something that I like, and learning how to enjoy it even more, rather than whining about what I don't like. I'll save my criticism for positive applications, like how to make my table experience better, or how to implement and/or change the (very flexible and forgiving) rules to make my games more fun. 

Then again, I could just be a fan of the Order 66 Podcast, and my opinion could therefore be tainted by their awesomeness...

I too think the "fanboy" criticism isn't a fair one.

As noted, they are very much enthusiasts of this game, and it carries through in the show.  To those folks that dislike the game, then yes the fact that Chris is extremely passionate about this system (and he was on the fence at first about the rumors of FFG having the license, being that he was a long-time fan of Saga Edition) is probably going to come across as "fanboy antics."  I've known GM Chris for a while, and the man is very passionate when it comes to Star Wars and RPGs, and it shows.

As for the guest hosts, they are first and foremost guests.  Maybe it's because I'm from an older generation, but generally speaking you treat your guests well, elsewise they won't be guests in the future, and won't speak favorably of you to other potential guests.  Guys like Jay Little, Sam Stewart, Sterling Hershey, and Rodney Thompson (going back to Saga Edition) are pretty amiable people.  Yes, showing up on the podcast is akin to doing advertising the product, but it's worth noting that any guest host appearance is unpaid (they're doing it on their own time) and strictly their choice to appear.  If the hosts were abrasive or rude to any of the guests they've had on the show, it's a safe bet they wouldn't have come back on after their first appearance, and it'd be far less likely that other potential guests would agree to be on the show.

But as has been noted, if these guys didn't like the game as much as they do, then they probably wouldn't be doing a podcast about it.  While their production values are more than a little "on the fly" in terms of recording, there is prep work that is done before the mikes get turned on, to say nothing of scheduling a couple hours on a Sunday night away from their family or other leisure activities they enjoy to spend talking about the RPG.

Listened to every episode except the live play (somehow I can't stand those ever, not just order66 ones) and really like it. I think Phil is an amazing addition to the team and really enjoy the show a lot more since he stepped to the plate.

However, I don't know if it is me but it does seem like he and Dave aren't the best of friends from time to time. I might be way off here but I don't know it is just a feeling I have.

Either way it makes no difference to my enjoyment and I like the fact that they are enthousiastic about the game it is helpful and rewarding listening to their show!

Listened to every episode except the live play (somehow I can't stand those ever, not just order66 ones) and really like it. I think Phil is an amazing addition to the team and really enjoy the show a lot more since he stepped to the plate.

However, I don't know if it is me but it does seem like he and Dave aren't the best of friends from time to time. I might be way off here but I don't know it is just a feeling I have.

Either way it makes no difference to my enjoyment and I like the fact that they are enthousiastic about the game it is helpful and rewarding listening to their show!

Well, in Phil's defense he's off living in a different part of the country (a Northeasterner like myself), and hasn't known Dave nearly as long as Chris and Dave have known each other, nor do he and Dave likely directly talk on a regular basis (they are both busy individuals with family and jobs).  

That being said, I can see where one can get the impression that Phil is something of a third wheel at times given how long-standing Chris and Dave's friendship is.  But at the absolute worst, Dave and Phil have a working relationship not unlike that of Adam and Jamie from the earlier seasons of MythBusters; they may not be BFFs, but there's a mutual respect and a shared enjoyment for what they're doing.