Sign in to follow this  
Pimpbacca

The Costed Scout

He wants to, but you don't always get what you want. His dial is excellent at close range, too, so you shouldn't be afraid to leave the comfort zone for a while.

I get that sometimes you'll end up at Range 1; I'm just questioning carrying an upgrade that requires you to.

He wants to, but you don't always get what you want. His dial is excellent at close range, too, so you shouldn't be afraid to leave the comfort zone for a while.

I get that sometimes you'll end up at Range 1; I'm just questioning carrying an upgrade that requires you to.

In my experience, I almost always end up at range one of something when I have a ship I want to keep at range three. There aren't many ships that want to let The Inquisitor trade range three shots with them and the Proton Rocket makes range one in his arc a scary place to be.

It's also not like The Inquisitor needs to pay 5 points for the missile like Jake and Tycho do. Three points for an upgrade that will get used in most games and will probably have some passive impact on most of the others isn't too bad.  

I'm puzzled why everyone is suddenly panicking about triple torpedo scouts even though Palp Aces already breaks the game so hard. Seriously, who the hell playtested Palp Aces and thought it was balanced?

Is a meta dominated by triple U-Boats really all that bad? You can fly triple Guardian and Black Eight Squadron to counter it for pete's sake. Quad Gammas too.

Oh no, an Imperial player has to play a squad not based around Soontir, oh the humanity.

Regardless of what list you prefer to play when every other list played on vassal is a varient of the U boat. Houston we have a problem. Your post just screams I like this list so it's fine. And palp aces has been around for some time and is no where near unbeatable or was ever as common as the uboat is right now. Also palp aces welcome to boba fet. Edited by Gungo

My impression with the Scouts is more to do with the Argomech and Deadeye, and less to do with the actual ship. 

But Deadeye is an EPT, and thus my point in that regard stands.

We should have more ships with EPTs... it is good that they're making them. It's also pretty clear that Deadeye is a significant reason they have that slot.

and yet not even the best ghost pilot has one.... and a Ps3 no name does.... weird...

My impression with the Scouts is more to do with the Argomech and Deadeye, and less to do with the actual ship. 

We should have more ships with EPTs... it is good that they're making them. It's also pretty clear that Deadeye is a significant reason they have that slot.

and yet not even the best ghost pilot has one.... and a Ps3 no name does.... weird...

The Ghost not getting it is purely balance related. Thematically, a bit of a bummer. But I don't think I'd enjoy a PS 9 Hera very much...

I'm thinking that Carnor Jax is a fantastic counter to the triple U-boat lists. If he can get into range their torpedoes are effectively useless against him.

If Captain Kagi happened to be along as well that could cause some real disruption to their plans.

Edited by Hedgehogmech

This isn't a new thing at all. We've had PS3s with EPTs since Wave 2. The very same expansion that came with a PS3 Generic with an EPT had a PS5 named pilot with no EPT.

I'm thinking that Carnor Jax is a fantastic counter to the triple U-boat lists. If he can get into range their torpedoes are effectively useless against him.

If Captain Kagi happened to be along as well that could cause some real disruption to their plans.

Carnor only prevents Focus tokens - they can still TL to launch the torps next turn, and it's unlikely that he can get all three in his bubble of suck. Kagi IS an obvious first target, but he is a fair whack of points.

The thing is... What else are those two gonna combo with to beat other lists like TLT/Palp Aces/Rebel regen/whatever random stuff? If you make it into Palpaces and turn Carnor into a Soontir-lite (PTL/AT/TC), that leaves you with 32 points to play with and not much HP to suck up damage.

No, Carnor isn't an answer.

What do you mean Carnor isn't the answer?  This build would work great against a lot of lists...

blank.gif?v146Carnor Jax + Veteran Instincts + Royal Guard TIE + Autothrusters + Stealth Device (32)
blank.gif?v146Darth Vader + TIE/x1 + Proton Rockets + Veteran Instincts + Engine Upgrade + Advanced Targeting Computer (38)
blank.gif?v146Omicron Group Pilot + Electronic Baffle + Emperor Palpatine (30)

Don't blame the playtesters. We have no idea what their playtest reports say, nor do we know what they actually playtested. One report that one group of playtesters did not think of this combo does not mean all of them did not. Of course, the combo could have been different because of different things that were playtested. 

And most importantly, even if the playtesters caught it, it doesn't really matter. The designers are the final say. They are free to dismiss playtest data as they please and do what they think best. Calling for new playtesters is just ignorant of the process. 

Also consider that very rarely does the version of pilot/upgrade "X" that was playtested end up being the actual, final version of that card.  

I could show you old-school Star Wars CCG playtest sheets from 20 years ago that would bear absolutely no resemblance to the cards that were actually printed.

Guys, the answer is Scyks!

2x Tansarii Point Veteran (17)

+ Heavy Scyk/Mangler Cannon (6)

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

Tansarii Point Veteran (17)

+ Heavy Scyk/HLC (9)

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

Serissu (20)

+ Heavy Scyk/Tractor Bean (3)

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

99 points. First TPV moves and gives everyone a focus via Mindlink. The other 2 and Serissu take TLs. Serissu knocks one u-boat down to 1 Agility, then you unleash hell: 10 attack dice vs 1 Agility, HLC to knock off shields, then Manglers finish it with a couple crits.

Scyks ftw??

Edited by ObiWonka

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

+ Heavy Scyk/HLC (9)

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

Serissu (20)

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

99 points. First TPV moves and gives everyone a focus via Mindlink. The other 2 and Serissu take TLs. Serissu knocks one u-boat down to 1 Agility, then you unleash hell: 10 attack dice vs 1 Agility, HLC to knock off shields, then Manglers finish it with a couple crits.

Scyks ftw??

You do more damage in average if you replace Serissu with another Veteran with Mangler Cannon.

How about Mind-linked Kihraxzs and Zeds:

Black Sun Ace [x2]

Attanni Mindlink

Concussion Missiles

Guidance Chips

Kaa'To Leeachos

Attanni Mindlink

Homing Missiles

Guidance Chips

N'Dru Suhlak

Attanni Mindlink

Homing Missiles

Guidance Chips

Edited by LucCros

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

+ Heavy Scyk/HLC (9)

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

Serissu (20)

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

Scyks ftw??

Sure, now you can beat the PS3 U-boats. But how well are you going to deal with any of the notable Imperial aces, who probably aren't going anywhere?

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

+ Heavy Scyk/HLC (9)

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

Serissu (20)

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

Scyks ftw??

Sure, now you can beat the PS3 U-boats. But how well are you going to deal with any of the notable Imperial aces, who probably aren't going anywhere?

But... but... this isn't an Imperial Aces thread...

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

+ Heavy Scyk/HLC (9)

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

Serissu (20)

+ Attani Mindlink (1)

Scyks ftw??

But... but... this isn't an Imperial Aces thread...

I concur. It's also not really a thread about hard counters and lists. There is already a thread about that called The Three Scouts. :)

Edited by Pimpbacca