Sign in to follow this  
Pimpbacca

The Costed Scout

Low PS yt-2400's are not bad. Vrill, hlc and crew of your choice is a solid and fun use of 40 points. Add tactical jammer and chewbacca to a wsf and you can really protect some more fragile ships. If only they had ept so I could add predator.

Indeed. If Vrill had an EPT, it might seem a bit more understandable. Vrill might also see a bit more table time.

Low PS yt-2400's are not bad. Vrill, hlc and crew of your choice is a solid and fun use of 40 points. Add tactical jammer and chewbacca to a wsf and you can really protect some more fragile ships. If only they had ept so I could add predator.

Indeed. If Vrill had an EPT, it might seem a bit more understandable. Vrill might also see a bit more table time.

I really, really wish FFG had a clean way to go back an give some named pilots EPTs without much of a ruckuss. Vrill, Graz, Laetin, Arvel...

If the playtesters didn't figure this one out, count me as absolutely baffled.

I kind of wonder if playtesters aren't directed on how to attack new ships/upgrades, or, aren't held accountable. I think they might do more of "Ohh new ships! Lets play!" and not as much of "Ok, lets figure out how this thing can break the game".

But I'd have to agree with randomscrub overall though. They probably knew about it, and perhaps they found answers to it that we have yet to find.

Don't blame the playtesters. We have no idea what their playtest reports say, nor do we know what they actually playtested. One report that one group of playtesters did not think of this combo does not mean all of them did not. Of course, the combo could have been different because of different things that were playtested. 

And most importantly, even if the playtesters caught it, it doesn't really matter. The designers are the final say. They are free to dismiss playtest data as they please and do what they think best. Calling for new playtesters is just ignorant of the process. 

I'm puzzled why everyone is suddenly panicking about triple torpedo scouts even though Palp Aces already breaks the game so hard. Seriously, who the hell playtested Palp Aces and thought it was balanced?

Is a meta dominated by triple U-Boats really all that bad? You can fly triple Guardian and Black Eight Squadron to counter it for pete's sake. Quad Gammas too.

Oh no, an Imperial player has to play a squad not based around Soontir, oh the humanity.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

Whoever is telling y'all playtesting info is either lying or violating an NDA. You may want to take it with a grain of salt. I suspect playtesters aren't blinkered enough to have missed the torpedo boat loadout.

One of the most common NDA clauses is basically "you don't talk about Fight Club," so Randomscrub is right: either the "sources" in this thread are lying about being playtesters, or they're breaking their NDA.

The same clause would mean playtesters aren't really able to defend themselves against charges like "Those morons missed 3x JumpMaster and 4x TLT!"

If the playtesters didn't figure this one out, count me as absolutely baffled.

I kind of wonder if playtesters aren't directed on how to attack new ships/upgrades, or, aren't held accountable. I think they might do more of "Ohh new ships! Lets play!" and not as much of "Ok, lets figure out how this thing can break the game".

But I'd have to agree with randomscrub overall though. They probably knew about it, and perhaps they found answers to it that we have yet to find.

Don't blame the playtesters. We have no idea what their playtest reports say, nor do we know what they actually playtested. One report that one group of playtesters did not think of this combo does not mean all of them did not. Of course, the combo could have been different because of different things that were playtested. 

And most importantly, even if the playtesters caught it, it doesn't really matter. The designers are the final say. They are free to dismiss playtest data as they please and do what they think best. Calling for new playtesters is just ignorant of the process. 

This is important, too. There's a reason the developers are listed in a different place from playtesters in the credits for each expansion.

TLTs, Fel and Dameron have chased most generics off the tables. If triple Scouts do a number on aces and turret spam, then we might see generic jousters making a comeback. Is BBBBZ worried about Scouts?

Yes, that's why I shelved mines yesterday after so many games with them. You are certain to lose 1 B-Wing in the alpha strike. So basically a BBBBZ is a BBBZ. Most likely the BBBZ won't destroy a J5K on alpha strike at R3. Then on the next turn, more probable than not, another B will fall down, maybe 2. From there, it is GG for the Scouts.

I'm puzzled why everyone is suddenly panicking about triple torpedo scouts even though Palp Aces already breaks the game so hard. Seriously, who the hell playtested Palp Aces and thought it was balanced?

Is a meta dominated by triple U-Boats really all that bad? You can fly triple Guardian and Black Eight Squadron to counter it for pete's sake. Quad Gammas too.

Oh no, an Imperial player has to play a squad not based around Soontir, oh the humanity.

Which makes you angrier, palp aces or kanan dash?

Eh, you can combine Gammas with Soontir, Imps won't have to learn that much. Although the Inquisitor fits that list a lot better with his better damage.

both are true

Soonts + Blackcrack fits a 50 points block, double homing munitions Gamma fits the other

Inq is a little harder to fit because you leave an awkward 19 points. Omega Squadron crackshot is probably the default answer

Inq is a little harder to fit because you leave an awkward 19 points. Omega Squadron crackshot is probably the default answer

I think Backstabber is a pretty valid 16pts vs U-Boats. Run it up the side as a flanker. They're probably not all turning to point in on ol' Backstabber, and 3 dice for 16pts that shoots before they do isn't the worst ever.

Eh, you can combine Gammas with Soontir, Imps won't have to learn that much. Although the Inquisitor fits that list a lot better with his better damage.

both are true

Soonts + Blackcrack fits a 50 points block, double homing munitions Gamma fits the other

No, bombs are, you disappoint me :P (Jo Jo already placed well with that list and it does look amazing. I came up with something similar when contemplating U-Boat answers because I love Bobers and wanted to try my Inquisitor)

Or a Procket on the Inquisitor to quickly drop a second Scout after the alpha strike happens (that was what I came up with).

Or a Procket

both are true

No, bombs are, you disappoint me :P (Jo Jo already placed well with that list and it does look amazing. I came up with something similar when contemplating U-Boat answers because I love Bobers and wanted to try my Inquisitor)

Or a Procket on the Inquisitor to quickly drop a second Scout after the alpha strike happens (that was what I came up with).

Or a Procket

Wouldn't a Procket on the Inquisitor be kind of wasted, since it has to fire at Range 1 and Inkie wants to do his dirty work at Range 2-3?

both are true

Or a Procket

Wouldn't a Procket on the Inquisitor be kind of wasted, since it has to fire at Range 1 and Inkie wants to do his dirty work at Range 2-3?

After playing The Inquisitor for just a few games (using PTL, AT, and V1 Title) I have found it extremely difficult to keep him at range 3. Across 4 games in one day he managed maybe 3 or 4 range 3 shots. The vast majority of his action was in range 1. PTL severely restricts his movement options. That said, I think Prockets on The Inquisitor is a good idea.

How is SLAM debateable? Thats a clear advantage, especially when you consider the K-Wing can use Bombs well and with that not lose much damage by SLAMing.

I wrote "Dials/SLAM". The K-Wing's dial is the most limited in the game, with no koiograns (and certainly no segnors), and only 2 turns

The Lambda would like to have a word with you...

both are true

Or a Procket

After playing The Inquisitor for just a few games (using PTL, AT, and V1 Title) I have found it extremely difficult to keep him at range 3. Across 4 games in one day he managed maybe 3 or 4 range 3 shots. The vast majority of his action was in range 1. PTL severely restricts his movement options. That said, I think Prockets on The Inquisitor is a good idea.

I found the opposite, my inquisiter was at range 3 most of the time. I love me that hard 1 green. When I found myself in close I could usually boost out of arc.

Which makes you angrier, palp aces or kanan dash?

Good question.

Palp Aces. I kind of gave up on flying worthless squads of jousters and TLT killed off Dash. I'm a Kriegsmarine player now, so I can just nuke the non-Dash ship and then PWT Dash to death.

Also 5x Autothruster Alpha pounds Dash sort of so eh.

A Palp Aces player can just joust Soontir recklessly and dice mod his way through everything, nothing you can really do sometimes.

How is SLAM debateable? Thats a clear advantage, especially when you consider the K-Wing can use Bombs well and with that not lose much damage by SLAMing.

I wrote "Dials/SLAM". The K-Wing's dial is the most limited in the game, with no koiograns (and certainly no segnors), and only 2 turns

The Lambda would like to have a word with you...

forget the lamba

the HWK has the same dial only it's objectively worse (all dem reds)

except for that OP red 4-forward

the K's dial (AKA the Y's dial if you took out all the reds and gave it green backs) is more than serviceable for two roles: turrets and A-SLAMing. Ordnance requires the JM5k's dial, but it can't TLT or A-SLAM bombs (or carry bombs of any sort)

Edited by ficklegreendice

I think Backstabber is a pretty valid 16pts vs U-Boats. Run it up the side as a flanker. They're probably not all turning to point in on ol' Backstabber, and 3 dice for 16pts that shoots before they do isn't the worst ever.

...and then I remembered that this guy existed.

270px-Dark_Curse.jpg

Hilarity ensues? 

...and then I remembered that this guy existed.

270px-Dark_Curse.jpg

Hilarity ensues? 

They can still spend the focus token to fire the torps at you. This was clarified when they said the blaster turret can still spend its focus to fire against dark curse.