Sign in to follow this  
barriecritzer

ghost first impressions

It still has a 4 dice primary out of 2 arcs,it's the anti fun part I don't like, your ship being garentied dead from full health is not in any way fun. its really easy to say outfly it but the thing can move. Lets take this example:

VCX-100: · Hera Syndulla (40)

Autoblaster Turret (2)

Accuracy Corrector (3)

· Nien Nunb (1)

Intelligence Agent (1)

· Ghost (0)

Any ship lower then a 7ps with 4 hit points or less just dies... Ghost gives a red or green manouver and can be anyware after you move. Outfly it? Hell if it drops nien num and runs zeb it can RAM you and still do it. With an Intel agent it gets hard for ships with higher Ps to dodge it. How is it fun to have a ship that can do 5 different manouver after youove that kills your ship without any response from you. I am not saying it's unbeatable, I am saying it's not fun. There are no hero dice only a realization that the ship is dead and there is nothing you can do what exciting gameplay!!!

It's even easier to say it's broken. I managed to beat an AC/ABT Ghost last night 100-0 with a phantom and a Tie/FO. Yes, it's possible for either one of those ships to die in one turn, but I chose to not let it happen. If you fly the same way you're used to with arc dodgers (boost/BR to get in range one, but out of arc) yes, you will lose.

If you adjust your tactics, it might still be an uphill battle, but remember, the Ghost will likely put itself in a compromising position, doing whatever it can for that range 1 shot. He might get it, but if you can't use the rest of your squad to take advantage of that situation, it's not the opponents list that is the problem.

I took it down to 2 health and almost won, it's not unbeatable it's just not any fun. Full health ship garentied death should have never been possible. Just because it can be beaten does not mean it's a good thing to have in the game.

Edited by Icelom

Played 4 games and each had been fun but a lose for the Ghost. TLT + FCS is good and it lends itself to lining up a shot for Torps next turn out the back while you pass them. Problem was it gets beat on easily and once the sheilds are down you will build ip a pile of crits. A good tip when flying against a Ghost is to uses Mangler Cannons.

Accuracy corrector + autoblaster turret. Garentied 4 hits at range one. It's broken and anti fun.

I don't get how this is broken*? Not counting the double-tap, at R1 your sacrificing 5 attack dice for 2 guaranteed hits. Plus at PS 7 (max) any of the current aces shouldn't have a problem staying out of R1.

* Disclaimer: Not a troll. :) This interaction seems really low on the broken list to me.

It's 4 hits that turn you can't dodge. Ghost auto kills lower PS ships? And that is something that is good for the game to you?

I don't see it as either good or bad for the game. Just another part of the game. Same as the U-Boat list that came with wave 8. Obviously you feel differently and all I was asking is that you to explain as to why you view this as broken so I could understand it better from your POV. The phrase "X is broken" rings a bit hollow in the forums cause that phrase is usually reserved for any card(s) or interaction that a player doesn't like or recently handed them their rear-end in a game.

I took it down to 2 health and almost won, it's not unbeatable it's just not any fun. Full health ship garentied death should have never been possible. Just because it can be beaten does not mean it's a good thing to have in the game.

Some might find it fun to crack the code of how to beat it  ;)

Accuracy corrector + autoblaster turret. Garentied 4 hits at range one. It's broken and anti fun.

I don't get how this is broken*? Not counting the double-tap, at R1 your sacrificing 5 attack dice for 2 guaranteed hits. Plus at PS 7 (max) any of the current aces shouldn't have a problem staying out of R1.

* Disclaimer: Not a troll. :) This interaction seems really low on the broken list to me.

It's 4 hits that turn you can't dodge. Ghost auto kills lower PS ships? And that is something that is good for the game to you?

I don't see it as either good or bad for the game. Just another part of the game. Same as the U-Boat list that came with wave 8. Obviously you feel differently and all I was asking is that you to explain as to why you view this as broken so I could understand it better from your POV. The phrase "X is broken" rings a bit hollow in the forums cause that phrase is usually reserved for any card(s) or interaction that a player doesn't like or recently handed them their rear-end in a game.

OK I see that, perhaps broken is wrong. It's just boreing and fun sucking. You have no hope no random luck to save you just a dead ship with nothing you can do.

If a ship was released with the pilot ability:

"Skip your combat round this turn,at the end of combat deal 4 uncancelable damage to a target within range 1 of your ship"

They gave that ship that ability, it's just not fun in anyway. You honestly think that ability would be approved? And the forums would not explode?

It's very beatable in the tournament I was at that ship got nocked out at top 8 (by another ghost, that I nocked out at top 4). It's that it's not fun. If someone can concive me how a single ship auto killing a full health ship is a great game mechanic that adds fun and excitement I will recant all my rantings.

It's beatable, but it's stupid IMO.

It still has a 4 dice primary out of 2 arcs,it's the anti fun part I don't like, your ship being garentied dead from full health is not in any way fun. its really easy to say outfly it but the thing can move. Lets take this example:

VCX-100: · Hera Syndulla (40)

Autoblaster Turret (2)

Accuracy Corrector (3)

· Nien Nunb (1)

Intelligence Agent (1)

· Ghost (0)

Any ship lower then a 7ps with 4 hit points or less just dies... Ghost gives a red or green manouver and can be anyware after you move. Outfly it? Hell if it drops nien num and runs zeb it can RAM you and still do it. With an Intel agent it gets hard for ships with higher Ps to dodge it. How is it fun to have a ship that can do 5 different manouver after youove that kills your ship without any response from you. I am not saying it's unbeatable, I am saying it's not fun. There are no hero dice only a realization that the ship is dead and there is nothing you can do what exciting gameplay!!!

It's even easier to say it's broken. I managed to beat an AC/ABT Ghost last night 100-0 with a phantom and a Tie/FO. Yes, it's possible for either one of those ships to die in one turn, but I chose to not let it happen. If you fly the same way you're used to with arc dodgers (boost/BR to get in range one, but out of arc) yes, you will lose.

If you adjust your tactics, it might still be an uphill battle, but remember, the Ghost will likely put itself in a compromising position, doing whatever it can for that range 1 shot. He might get it, but if you can't use the rest of your squad to take advantage of that situation, it's not the opponents list that is the problem.

We can put it at the bottom of the long list of X-wing mechanics people have said were unenjoyable and should never have been made. It's hardly the worst offender on the list.

Also, given the amount of rage we see directed at dice, "Isn't random" is not that much of a criticism in my book.

Edited by Squark

It's very beatable in the tournament I was at that ship got nocked out at top 8 (by another ghost, that I nocked out at top 4). It's that it's not fun. If someone can concive me how a single ship auto killing a full health ship is a great game mechanic that adds fun and excitement I will recant all my rantings.

It's beatable, but it's stupid IMO.

I already answered that.

Edited by Criwi Romed

OK I see that, perhaps broken is wrong. It's just boreing and fun sucking. You have no hope no random luck to save you just a dead ship with nothing you can do.

If a ship was released with the pilot ability:

"Skip your combat round this turn,at the end of combat deal 4 uncancelable damage to a target within range 1 of your ship"

They gave that ship that ability, it's just not fun in anyway. You honestly think that ability would be approved? And the forums would not explode?

Well if not this the forums will find something else to explode over. Cause forums. ;)

I don't sweat the things I don't have control over in the game (an interaction being approved) and sweat the things I do have control over. Which is trying to find a way to win against a tough interaction. We all have differing definitions on what we find as fun, but for me trying to unlock these kind of puzzles is part of the fun. :)

Anyhow, after running and playing both I'd much rather face the AB/AC Ghost than the U-Boats. :P

Edited by hardbap

fickle approves the **** out of anything that takes greens out of the game

It's symply "don't try to own it like you do to poor useless Firespray"

Accuracy corrector + autoblaster turret. Garentied 4 hits at range one. It's broken and anti fun. Lost a zeta leader in first round of combat at stre championship to it, barrel rolled but was just in range 1 so he died, no dice rolling needed on my part just poof gone. And with how fast that ship can move it's harder then you think to keep clear.

I've had extremely exciting games against the Shredder-Chopper. You always have to be on your best game to avoid it and your opponent needs to be as unpredictable as possible. While it is really extreme this interaction, unlike hypermobile arcdodgers, is rooted in the games very core principles and therefor enjoyable.

Shredder-Chopper seems like the most exciting build with lots of potential, but how should it look when you want to make the most of it? Do you go all in with the ACs and rely on large base speed to only fight close range or do you want to make more of your primary with FCS? I think the autoincludes are obviously Chopper as pilot, Ghost title, ABT, Zeb crew so bumps work out. Then Ion Projectors offer some good utility against higher PS ships if you are good at blocking.

I like Tactician as secondary crew because of the rear arc and how your opponent really wants to avoid R1, but a huge argument is to be made for R2-D2. I don't like it, but it is potent.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!157:36,120,-1,-1,160,61:25:19:;160:-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:;86:18,73:7:15:U.27&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron

This is my first draft for a competetive Shredder-Chopper build. Tweaking room for now is downgrading Sabine to Ezra to swap FCS for ACs. I am excited to try it and be the one to do the shredding.

one ship to leverage against Wave 8 in general is Redline

Red-line is squish, but he's unique in the imperial navy in that he's a high health, largely action independent bundle of damage

against the 0 agility Ghost, Redline can basically lop off well over 50% of its health by itself, and can conceivably 1v1 it to death because cluster missiles just utterly savage it. With FCS and the fact that zeb (crew) lets you shoot the ghost too, he's one of few imperial ships that will get close to full modifiers without actions

now, against Scouts poor Redline is technically an inefficient points trade unless you're a great flanker (large bases have problems turning in tandem due to base size), but he will soak enough torps and do enough damage to set you up for a great late game

998149_10156619563715142_417125368150606

this trade ends up with a dead scout and a 1 health redline which died pretty easily the following turn, but it set up for an endgame that looked like this

10561571_10156619564070142_1934523860638

without torps, the poor scout was just screwed

Wave 8 may indeed call for a change in tactics, and it may be the exact excuse you need to put the punisher on the table :P

personally, I doubt we'll see auto-blaster ghost as much as 3 scouts because it's simply far less flexible. Both redline and 3 scouts will ruin the auto-ghost unless it's run by a crazy good player (and has EU), but Ghost only really ruins Palp Aces. Palp aces, by contrast, still has solid game against everything except a well flown auto-correct Ghost

speaking of, auto-correct Ghost is now the official terminology for that set-up

Edited by ficklegreendice

So what about Reinforced Deflectors?  Doesn't have the auto-kill skills of AC+autoblaster, and you don't have the action economy of FCS, but it seems like you make the Ghost absorb an obnoxiously large amount of damage, and potentially throw on some shields to avoid eating a lone crit if it's all the opponent rolls.

Also curious to what the ruling is on RDs vs. Direct Hit! and Major/Minor Explosion.

So what about Reinforced Deflectors?  Doesn't have the auto-kill skills of AC+autoblaster, and you don't have the action economy of FCS, but it seems like you make the Ghost absorb an obnoxiously large amount of damage, and potentially throw on some shields to avoid eating a lone crit if it's all the opponent rolls.

Also curious to what the ruling is on RDs vs. Direct Hit! and Major/Minor Explosion.

reinforced deflectors seem incredibly situational because they'll ruin your damage output

well situational except against brobots and torp scouts, who will routinely hurl gobfuls of pain at your large target

So what about Reinforced Deflectors? 

It's an overpriced card, that occupies (IMHO) THE BEST SLOT EVER

and doesn;'t make wonders. Like ever. Because outside 4-attack ordnance it has no real uses.

Soooo, it scyks!

Ghost is a very solid ship. IMO, FCS and some other kind of turret like Dorsal or TLT is better than auto-corrector combo, because it is more well-rounded. While auto-corrector may be great against low health aces, IG's will kill you faster than you kill them, triple U-boats laugh, quad-TLT doesn't care, and other archetypes simply have health to kill you before you kill them. Auto-Ghost feels too much to me like a one-trick pony to be largely competitive.

Played my first game against the ghost, I won but do not like that ship. A ship with that many hit points should not have a 4 dice primary. Also TLT and FCS should never, I repeat never have ever gone together. With TLT on the ship it can it one turn if you include the shots from FCS roll 21 modified dice at you in one turn.

It is also a better version of the decimator:

better shield to hull ratio

better primary attack

faster, has a 4 straight where the deci only has 3

has a built in evade

Are you counting target-lock rerolls as extra attack dice, or something? Because I'm not sure what "shots from FCS" means.

yes I am counting the re-rolls.

I'm still very unclear how on earth you're getting to 21 dice. Please explain.

I'm still very unclear how on earth you're getting to 21 dice. Please explain.

He was essentially saying that you have TLT X 4, and then multiplying this by 2 to represent the re-rolls for target lock.

Which is flawed because a) TLT only fires three times for ghost (so 18 rolls) and b) it's not really representative of attack dice because it's re-rolls and then there's only a maximum of 3 damage from them, not 18.

gashing a brobot for 4 damage automatically is literally half its health.  If that's not fast enough for you I don't know what is.

A well flown IG should be able to avoid range one. And will be putting a ton of damage onto the ghost at range.

Large bases take up a lot of space, its not as easy as you think. Its going to happen at least once per game.